Remove this ad

PiratesReplay

farm hand

Lead

03/22/14 06:28 PM

Tags : :

For some time I have been replaying the 1960 and 1971 seasons.  Being a Pirates fan, it brings back the memories of the great Bucco teams of the past.

I play using the board game, super-advanced with the actual schedule and start times.  I can have numerous games going on at one time.  I will update as I play.  My time is based on the actual games played in each of those seasons.  

Hopefully many of you will enjoy the replays of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

By the way, anyone else hoping for the '79 season cards to be remade by Strat?  It was a Bucco fans last hurrah!

Posting again soon.

Just finished May 28, 1960 today.

Next Up:  April 13, 1971

Current 1960 Standings thru 5/28/1960

National League                           American League
Los Angeles       24-16                   New York           22-11
Chicago             23-16                   Baltimore         26-15
Milwaukee        21-18                   Washington        20-18
Pittsburgh         22-19                   Chicago             19-19
Cincinnati         23-20                   Cleveland          18-18
Philadelphia      20-23                   Detroit              17-18
San Francisco    17-23                   Boston               14-24
St. Louis            12-27                   Kansas City        13-26

May 28, 1960 Scoreboard

Cincinnati   5  Milwaukee   2           Cleveland  3  Detroit  2
Philadelphia   4  Pittsburgh  1         Kansas City  4  Chicago  1
Los Angeles   5  Chicago  0              New York  2  Washington  0
San Francisco  6  St. Louis  2           Baltimore  5  Boston  0

Current 1971 Standings thru 4/12/1971

NL East                                              NL West
Pittsburgh    5-1                                Los Angeles      6-1
New York      4-1                                San Francisco   5-2
Montreal      3-2                                Cincinnati         3-2
Chicago        4-3                                San Diego         2-5
St. Louis       2-4                                Houston           2-6
Philadelphia  0-5                               Atlanta             1-5

AL East                                             AL West
Boston          4-1                               Oakland            5-2
Baltimore     3-2                                Milwaukee        3-2
Detroit         3-2                               Kansas City        4-3
New York      3-2                               Minnesota          3-3
Cleveland     1-3                               California          2-4
Washington   1-6                              Chicago              2-4

Schedule for April 13, 1971

Houston (Wilson 1-1)  at St. Louis (Santorini 0-0)  1:30 P.M.
Detroit (Coleman 1-0) at New York (Peterson 1-0)  2:00 P.M.
New York (Ryan 0-0) at Montreal (Morton 0-1)  2:15 P.M.
California (Murphy 1-0) at Chicago (John 0-1)  2:15 P.M.
Oakland (Blue 2-0) at Milwaukee (Krausse 0-0) 2:30 P.M.
Baltimore (Jackson 0-0) at Cleveland (Dunning 0-1)  5:30 P.M.
Boston (Lonborg 0-0) at Washington (Bosman 0-2)  7:30 P.M.
Pittsburgh (Briles 1-0) at Philadelphia (Reynolds 0-0)  7:35 P.M.
Cincinnati (Grimsley 0-0) at Atlanta (Niekro 1-0) 8:05 P.M.
Minnesota (Corbin 0-0) at Kansas City (Splittorff 0-1)  8:30 P.M.
Chicago (Pizarro 1-1) at Los Angeles (Osteen 2-0)  11:00 P.M.
San Diego (Norman 0-0) at San Francisco (Bryant 1-0)  11:00 P.M.

All times are the actual Eastern Time Zone start time
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

nwfanatic

hall of famer

#1 [url]

03/22/14 07:49 PM

Outstanding! Both years should be exciting. My first replay was with the 1971 Pirates: original cards with the very cool light blue ink. It was a fun replay, highlighted by Clemente's 38-game hit streak. You could lock horns with 67mantle in the 1960 World Series.

Quote    Reply   

rezzdogg

hall of famer

#3 [url]

03/23/14 07:56 PM

Hey PR,

Welcome to the Village!

This will be great fun to follow.  The '71 season is one of my favorites, and it will be great to compare and contrast your '60 season and Mike's '60 Yankees project.

rezz

Player to be named later

Quote    Reply   

delsea2

hall of famer

#4 [url]

03/23/14 10:03 PM

Hi PR,
Welcome to the village I'm looking forward to following along with your replays of the 60 & 71 season. As a kid growing up in the 60's one of my favorite Pirates player was #21 Roberto Clemente. I saw him play a game at old Connie Mack Stadium in Philadelphia as a kid. There was one play that stood out to me and to this day I never forgot it. Phillies right fielder Johnny Callison line a ball down into the corner in right field and tried to stretch it into a triple. Roberto picked up the ball and spun around and fired a laser to third base on the fly. When Callison went into his slide the ball was waiting for him and he was out. I remember Callison turning to look back to right field as if to say, no way. My dad who was a long time Phillies fan turned to me and said, "that's the best arm I have ever seen on an outfielder". Even the Phillies fans gave Roberto a standing O for that throw. He was an amazing player during his time. I remember being in the Air Force stationed at Fort Yukon Alaska when the armed forces radio station reported his death in the plane crash. Two years ago I picked up a replica of his black jersey. And it seems that every time I wear it someone comments on it and they usually follow it up by saying what a great player Roberto was. He was not just a great player but he was just as great of a person off the field.  

J.Q. GO 2017 RED SOX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last Edited By: delsea2 03/24/14 06:55 PM. Edited 4 times.

Quote    Reply   

PiratesReplay

farm hand

#6 [url]

03/24/14 08:18 PM

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Here are some stats for the "Great One" #21 so far in my replays:

1960  AVG.-.301  GP-35  R-14  H-44  2B-7  3B-2  HR-2  RBI-17  SB-1

1971  AVG.-.296  GP-6  R-8  H-8  2B-2  HR-1  RBI-3

Growing up in Wisconsin I became a Pirates fan young since Milwaukee had no team in the late 1960's.  Unfortunately, I never saw Clemente play in person.  I watched as many games as possible when the Pirates were on.  I also caught some games at a grandparents who lived near Green Bay because the Cubs games were on T.V. on Sundays.  What a thrill it was when they played the Pirates.

Truly the greatest RF in the game!

Quote    Reply   

PiratesReplay

farm hand

#7 [url]

03/29/14 09:03 PM

The games of 4/13/71 are complete.  It was an interesting day of baseball.  Here are the results:

Standings thru April 13, 1971

NL EAST                                 NL WEST
Pittsburgh       6-1                  Los Angeles       6-2
New York        5-1                  San Francisco    6-2
Chicago          5-3                  Cincinnati         4-2
Montreal        3-3                   San Diego         2-6
St. Louis        3-4                   Houston            2-7
Philadelphia   0-6                  Atlanta             1-6

AL EAST                                AL WEST
Baltimore       4-2                  Oakland            6-2
Boston           4-2                   Kansas City       5-3
New York       4-2                   Milwaukee        3-3
Detroit          3-3                   Chicago            3-4
Washington   2-6                   Minnesota         3-4
Cleveland     1-4                   California          2-5

St. Louis  4  Houston  3

Maybe the most exciting game of the day.  Trailing by two entering the 9th inning Matty Alou led off the Cards inning with a single.  After Javier flys out to center, Joe Torre hits a tying two-run homer his 2nd of the year.  Jim Ray came on for the Astros and gave up singles to McNertney and Cruz, followed by the game winning double by Joe Hague.

New York  3  Detroit  0

Fritz Peterson went the route on a seven hitter and shutout the Tigers striking out five.

New York  7  Montreal  6

The Mets went out to a 7-3 lead and hung on to beat the Expos for their 5th straight victory.  Ken Singleton hit his 5th home run of the season to back starter Nolan Ryan.  Tug McGraw pitched the ninth inning for his 2nd save of the season.  Ed Kranepool drove in three runs for the Mets.

Chicago  5  California  2

Tommy John rebounded from a poor first start and went the distance beating the Angels.  John allowed seven hits and struck out five.  The White Sox scored two runs in both the fifth and sixth innings to put this game away.  The White Sox have now won three in a row.

Oakland  5  Milwaukee  2

Vida Blue was the story again for the A's raising his record to 3-0.  Blue struck out seven going the route.  His season ERA stands at 0.33 through three starts allowing only 9 hits in 27 innings pitched.  Two runs in the 8th inning sealed the victory for the A's.

Baltimore  13  Cleveland  3

The Orioles win their third straight sprinting to an 11-0 lead through four innings and are never challenged.  Grant Jackson in a spot start due to Jim Palmer's injury goes the distance striking out nine.  Four Orioles (Buford, Rettenmund, Johnson, and Belanger) have three hits each to back the 18 hit attack.  Boog Powell drives in four runs for the O's.

Washington  2  Boston  1  (10 innings)

Tom McCraw's pinch hit single tied the game in the 8th and Bernie Allen's single in the 10th off Bill Lee won the game for the Senators.  Dick Bosman, Washington and Jim Lonborg, Boston both had solid starts.  Of note for the Red Sox they lost Conigliaro, Josephson, and Scott all to injuries during this game.

Pittsburgh  6  Philadelphia  2

The Phillies led early, but the Pirates offense continues to sizzle early in the year.  The 14 hit attack was led by a four hit, two RBI day for Roberto Clemente.  Nelson Briles started for the Bucs and went the distance.

Cincinnati  10  Atlanta  7

The launching pad of Fulton County Stadium saw 6 home runs leave the yard.  The Reds scored 8 times in the 4th inning by flexing their muscles.  Lee May grand slam, George Foster solo shot, and Pete Rose's three run home fueled the inning.  Hank Aaron, Orlando Cepeda, and Marty Perez went deep for the Braves who lost their fourth straight.

Kansas City  9  Minnesota  1

The Twins were no challenge for the Royals.  Gail Hopkins went deep twice for the Royals and Lou Piniella drove in three runs for the Royals.  Paul Splittorff went all the way yielding seven hits to get the victory for K.C.

Chicago  5  Los Angeles  3

The Cubs win their fourth straight defeating the Dodgers for the second consecutive day.  Juan Pizarro strikes out 11 going all the way for the Cubbies.  Joe Pepitone goes 5-for-5 for Chicago including an insurance home run in the ninth inning.

San Francisco  9  San Diego  2

The Giants win their sixth straight as the Padres lose their sixth straight at Candlestick Park.  Bobby Bonds and Willie Mays each homer and drive in three runs.  Ron Bryant raises his record to 2-0 with the win.

NEXT UP IN MY REPLAY

Sunday, May 29, 1960

Schedule
Milwaukee (Buhl 4-4)  at  Cincinnati (O'Toole 6-3)  1:30 P.M.
Philadelphia (Mahaffey 2-1)  at  Pittsburgh (Friend 7-3)  1:30 P.M.
Boston (Monbouquette 6-2)  at  Baltimore (Brown 5-2)  1:30 P.M.
Cleveland (Grant 1-2)  at  Detroit (Mossi 1-3)  1:30 P.M.
Washington (Ramos 6-3)  at  New York (Coates 1-4)  2:00 P.M.
Los Angeles (Podres 6-5)  at Chicago (Hobbie 4-5)  2:30 P.M.
San Francisco (Sanford 2-5)  at  St. Louis (Gibson 2-0)  2:30 P.M.
Chicago (Pierce 2-5)  at Kansas City (K. Johnson 0-4)  2:30 P.M.

Quote    Reply   

PiratesReplay

farm hand

#9 [url]

04/05/14 06:38 PM

May 29, 1960 was completed today.  Here is the updated standings and review of each game.

NL                                                          AL
Los Angeles              25-16                      Baltimore             27-15
Chicago                   23-17                       New York              22-12
Pittsburgh               23-19                       Washington           21-18
Cincinnati                24-20                      Chicago                20-19
Milwaukee               21-19                       Detroit                18-18
Philadelphia            20-24                       Cleveland             18-19
San Francisco          18-23                       Boston                  14-25
St. Louis                  12-28                      Kansas City            13-27

Cincinnati   4    Milwaukee    3
The Reds win their fourth straight, while the Braves drop their third in a row.  A total of seven hits between the two teams.  Jim O'Toole goes the route for the Reds allowing but three hits.  A four run fourth inning is enough for Cincinnati to get the victory.  Included was a two run home run by Leo Cardenas.  Eddie Mathews drove in all three Braves runs with a double and home run.

Pittsburgh    13    Philadelphia    4
Bob Friend raises his record to 8-3 with the victory at Forbes Field.  The Pirates score eight times in the second inning, sending 14 batters to the plate.  Bob Skinner goes 5-for-5, Bill Virdon and Smoky Burgess each drive in three runs for the Buccos.

Baltimore    8    Boston    2
The Orioles take over first place in the American League winning their seventh straight game defeating the Red Sox.  Hal Brown improves to 6-2 with the win.  The O's score two in the first and four in the second inning and are never threatened by the Red Sox.  Boston has now lost four straight.

Detroit    2    Cleveland    1    11 innings
Mudcat Grant no-hit the Tigers thru seven innings, but the Tigers scratched out a run in the 8th and won it in the bottom of the 11th innings on Neil Chrisley's RBI single.  Dave Sisler pitches three shutout innings in relief to get the victory.

Washington    6    New York    2
The Senators knock the Yankees out of first winning in the Bronx.  Pedro Ramos goes the distance for the Senators allowing but five hits.  Julio Becquer leads Washington with four hits, while Billy Gardner has three hits in the game.

Los Angeles    6    Chicago    3
The Dodgers win their third straight and the Cubs lose their fourth in a row.  Johnny Podres raises his record to 7-5 going all the way striking out nine.   Norm Larker has four hits and Don Demeter drives in two runs for the Dodgers.  The Dodgers head home with a 1 1/2 game lead in the NL.

San Francisco    12    St. Louis    7
The Giants win number five in a row while the Cardinals drop their fifth straight.  Willie Kirkland goes 3-for-5 and drives in five for the victorious Giants.  Willie Mays chips in with 3 RBI of his own.  One bright note for the struggling Cardinals is Carl Sawatski who drives in four on the day.

Chicago    5    Kansas City    1
Billy Pierce goes all the way as the White Sox stop the Athletics in Kansas City.  Ted Kluszewski and Nellie Fox each have three hits for Chicago.  The White Sox get 15 hits in the victory.

NEXT UP - Wednesday, April 14, 1971

Baltimore (Dobson 0-1)  at Cleveland (McDowell 1-0)       12:00 P.M.
Detroit (Lolich 1-0) at New York (Stottlemyre 0-1)             2:00 P.M.
New York (Seaver 1-1) at Montreal (Stoneman 1-0)            2:15 P.M.
Milwaukee (Pattin 1-0) at Chicago (Johnson 1-0)               2:15 P.M.
Oakland (Segui 0-0) at Minnesota (Perry 1-0)                    2:15 P.M.
Houston (Billingham 0-2) at San Francisco (Marichal 1-1)  4:00 P.M.
Boston (Culp 1-1) at Washington (Shellenback 1-0)           7:30 P.M.
Pittsburgh (Blass 1-0) at Philadelphia (Wise 0-1)               7:35 P.M.
Cincinnati (Nolan 0-1) at Atlanta (Nash 0-0)                     8:05 P.M.
California (May 0-1) at Kansas City (Drago 1-0)                 8:30 P.M.
Chicago (Jenkins 1-1) at San Diego (Kirby 1-1)                10:30 P.M.
St. Louis (Carlton 1-0) at Los Angeles (Sutton 2-0)          11:00 P.M.

Quote    Reply   

8pirates21

superstar

#10 [url]

04/19/14 08:47 AM

Just completed, April 14, 1971.  The day time games had many very well pitched games.  In the evening, the bats came alive.  Enjoy the summary.

Updated standings for the 1971 Replay

N.L. East                                                          N.L. West
Pittsburgh               6-2                                     Cincinnati              5-2
New York                5-2                                     Los Angeles            6-3
Montreal                 4-3                                     San Francisco         6-3
Chicago                   5-4                                    San Diego               3-6
St. Louis                  4-4                                    Houston                 3-7
Philadelphia            1-6                                    Atlanta                   1-7

A.L. East                                                         A.L. West
Baltimore               5-2                                    Oakland                  7-2
Boston                    4-3                                   Kansas City              5-4
New York                4-3                                   Chicago                   4-4
Detroit                   4-3                                   Milwaukee               3-4
Washington             3-6                                  Minnesota                3-5
Cleveland               1-5                                  California                 3-5

Baltimore    3    Cleveland    1

Sam McDowell shutout the Orioles for 8 1/3 innings before Andy Etchebarren hit a three run home run in the top of the ninth.  Pat Dobson went the distance for the Orioles allowing just three hits and striking out six Indians.   The O's have now won four straight, while the Tribe have dropped three in a row.

Detroit    2    New York    1    12 innings

The Tigers Al Kaline wins the game for Detroit with a one out RBI single in the top of the 12th inning.  The Yankees tied the game in the 8th on an RBI double by Gene Michael.  It was an excellent pitching duel between Mickey Lolich and Mel Stottlemyre who both gave up one earned run through eight innings.  Fred Scherman picked up his 2nd save for the Tigers.

Montreal    3    New York    1

Montreal beat Tom Seaver for the second time this season as Bill Stoneman bested the Mets for the second time this season.  RBI singles by Ron Hunt and Ron Fairly gave the Expos the lead in the sixth inning.  Seaver struck out 11 as his record dipped to 1-2.  Stoneman is now 2-0 for the early season.

Chicago    4    Milwaukee    2

All the scoring took place in the first inning of this game.  The Brewers jumped to a 2-0 lead on a home run by Bill Voss.  The Sox responded in the bottom of the first with a lead off home run by Pat Kelly.  Consecutive RBI at-bats by Bill Melton, Jay Johnstone, and Mike Andrews provided all the support Bart Johnson would need.  Johnson three hit the Brewers going the route as the White Sox won their fourth straight game.

Oakland    6    Minnesota    3

Oakland powered their way past the Twins hitting three home runs.  Bert Campaneris, Rick Monday, and Sal Bando provided the long balls to support Diego Segui's pitching.  Rollie Fingers came in to get the final out in the bottom of the ninth for his 2nd save of the season.

Houston    1    San Francisco    0

Jack Billingham bested Juan Marichal to beat the Giants.  Bob Watson had a two out RBI single in the top of the ninth to help the Astros gain the victory.  Billingham struck out 10 gaining the victory for Houston.  Marichal struck out 9 going the distance for San Francisco.

Washington    5    Boston    3

The Senators overcame a 1-0 deficit scoring five unanswered runs and beat the Red Sox in Washington.  Jim Shellenback pitched seven strong innings raising his record to 2-0.  This game provided the strangest inning on this day as the Red Sox made four errors on four consecutive batters in the seventh inning.  Carlton Fisk, John Kennedy, Doug Griffin, and Phil Gagliano committed the miscues for the Sox.  Washington has now won two straight.

Philadelphia    11    Pittsburgh    10

Philadelphia went down 10-5 but rallied for four in the seventh and two in the bottom of the ninth to get their first victory of the season.  With two out, nobody on in the ninth, the Bucs Bob Robertson committed an error opening the winning rally for the Phillies.  Greg Luzinski walked, Don Money followed with the tying single, and Oscar Gamble won it with a single off Pirates closer Dave Giusti.  Tim McCarver homered and drove in four runs for the Phillies.  Willie Stargell hit two home runs for the Pirates.

Cincinnati    11    Atlanta    2

The Reds scored in double digits for the second consecutive game as they moved into a N.L. West tie atop the division with the win over the Braves.  Pete Rose led the Reds 20 hit attack as he hit for the cycle.  Rose homered to lead off the game, tripled in the second inning, doubled in the fourth inning, and singled in the fifth.  Gary Nolan went the route gaining his first victory of the season.  Cincinnati has now won three straight, while the Braves have dropped five straight.

California    9    Kansas City    4

California jumped out to a 7-0 lead after two innings and were never threatened.  Jim Spencer and Ken McMullen went back-to-back in the second inning.  Rudy May pitched a complete game for the Angels striking out six.  Spencer's four RBI day give him 11 for the early season.

San Diego    5    Chicago    3

Clay Kirby outpitched Fergie Jenkins as the Padres got past the Cubs.  Kirby went the distance fanning five Cubs.  After the Cubbies went up 2-0 in the top of the second, the Padres responded with three in the bottom of the frame.

St. Louis    2    Los Angeles    1

Steve Carlton pitched the Redbirds to their third straight victory and the Dodgers to their third straight loss.  Lefty improved his record to 2-0 with the win.  He also contributed the game winning RBI single in the seventh inning.  Tom Haller hit a one out homer in the ninth but Carlton retired the next two Dodgers to secure the victory.

NEXT UP

May 30, 1960 - Memorial Day

Milwaukee (Burdette 6-2 and Pizarro 1-1) at Pittsburgh (Haddix 2-2 and Gibbon 1-2)      1:00 P.M.
Cincinnati (McLish 4-1 and Maloney 1-2) at Philadelphia (Roberts 6-5 and Conley 3-2)     1:05 P.M.
Boston (Brewer 2-5 and Sturdivant 1-4) at Baltimore (Pappas 3-3 and Walker 0-1)           1:30 P.M.
Washington (Pascual 4-3 and Clevenger 2-2) at New York (Ford 6-3 and Ditmar 4-2)         1:30 P.M.
Cleveland (Latman 2-2 and Hawkins 2-1) at Chicago (Wynn 7-3 and Baumann 1-1)           2:30 P.M.
Detroit (Bruce 3-1 and Fischer 1-1) at Kansas City (B. Daley 3-6 and Hall 1-5)                  2:30 P.M.
Chicago (Ellsworth 6-1 and Freeman 1-0) at San Francisco (Jones 4-5 and Marichal 1-0)   4:30 P.M.
St. Louis (Broglio 1-4) at Los Angeles (Koufax 2-2)                                                         11:00 P.M.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

8pirates21

superstar

#11 [url]

04/26/14 09:02 AM

Memorial Day 1960 had seven doubleheaders and a total of 15 games.  There were sweeps, surprising results, and now a tie on top of the American League.  The National League race has five teams within four games of first place as the month of May has one day remaining.  

After the May 31 games I will be putting together a stats package.  I am not sure how to get it on this site though so it is readable.  I have tried to copy word and excel documents on here but the format is then a mess.  Any suggestions??

With that being said here is the review of May 30, 1960!

NL Standings                                       AL Standings
Los Angeles                 26-16               New York               23-13
Chicago                       24-18               Baltimore              27-17
Cincinnati                   26-20               Chicago                 22-19
Milwaukee                  23-19                Washington           22-19
Pittsburgh                   23-21                Detroit                 20-18
San Francisco              19-24                Cleveland             18-21
Philadelphia                20-26                Boston                  16-25
St. Louis                      12-29               Kansas City            13-29

Milwaukee    7    Pittsburgh    3

The Braves take game one behind 8 2/3 innings by Juan Pizzaro (2-1).  He struck out seven during his outing.  Red Schoendienst and Felix Mantilla each drove in two runs for the much injured Braves.  The Braves played the doubleheader without Del Crandall, Joe Adcock, and Bill Bruton.  Milwaukee broke the game open with a five run fifth inning.

Milwaukee    7    Pittsburgh    2

Milwaukee sweeps the twin bill behind Lew Burdette's complete game performance.  Burdette is now (7-2) for the season.  Red Schoendienst capped off an excellent day with 3 RBI giving him 5 RBI for the day.  The Braves built a 6-1 lead after four and were never threatened.

Cincinnati    5    Philadelphia    3

The Reds score three in the 8th and two in the 9th to gain victory in game one.  Jim Brosnan wins in relief for the Reds.  Gordy Coleman hit a two run home run (1) in the 8th inning to lead Cincinnati.  Frank Robinson led off the 8th inning with his 16th home run of the season.

Cincinnati    4    Philadelphia    2

Cincinnati extends their winning streak to six games by taking game two of the doubleheader.  Cal McLish goes seven strong innings, striking out eight raising his record to 5-1.  Jim Brosnan records his 7th save of the season.  Billy Martin hits two doubles and drives in three runs to pace the Reds offense.

Boston    1    Baltimore    0

Boston surprises the Orioles in game one as Tom Sturdivant (2-4) and Mike Fornieles (5th save) combine on a three hit shutout.  Don Buddin's sacrifice fly in the second inning scored Vic Wertz with the games only run.

Boston    2    Baltimore    1

Tom Brewer (3-5) scatters 10 hits going the distance as the Red Sox sweep the O's. Vic Wertz drives in both Red Sox runs with a single in the 5th and a double in the 7th scoring Gary Geiger each time.  Brewer struck out four and walked no one in the victory.

Washington    3    New York    1

Washington continued its fine play defeating the Yankees in game one.  Tex Clevenger (3-2) went the distance for the Senators tossing a three hitter.  Jim Lemon's RBI single in the first and Billy Gardner's two run double in the second provided the offense that Clevenger needed.

New York    3    Washington    2

The Yankees gain a split with a comeback victory in Game 2.  Mickey Mantle got the Yanks going in the first hitting a home run (9).  The 8th inning rally began with Mantle walking, an RBI triple by Roger Maris, followed by Maris scoring on a passed ball by Washington catcher Hal Naragon.  Bobby Shantz (2-1) gained the victory in relief.  The Yankees moved back into a tie for first place with the victory.

Chicago    5    Cleveland    1

Frank Baumann (2-1) started and went all the way as the White Sox took game one.  Roy Sievers and Sherm Lollar each drove in two runs for the Sox.  Minnie Minoso hit his 5th home run of the season for Chicago.

Chicago    6    Cleveland    1

Game two was just as easy for the Sox as Early Wynn (8-3) goes the route allowing only six hits.  A three run first inning set the stage for Chicago.  Nellie Fox went 3-for-5 and drove in two runs for the Sox.  Jim Landis contributed a double, triple, and scored three runs for Chicago.

Detroit    6    Kansas City    2

The Tigers broke open a scoreless game scoring four times in the sixth inning as they won the opener.  Charlie Maxwell tripled and homered (9), driving in five of the six runs for the Tigers.  Dave Sisler retired all eight batters he faced in relief to earn his 2nd save of the season.

Detroit    5    Kansas City    2

Home runs by Eddie Yost (4), Charlie Maxwell (10), and two shots by Norm Cash (9, 10) lead Detroit to the sweep of the Athletics.  Pete Burnside (2-2) pitched seven relief innings after Bob Bruce left with an injury to get the win.

San Francisco    3    Chicago    1

Juan Marichal (2-0) goes all the way striking out eight as the Giants take game one.  An RBI bases loaded walk to Andre Rodgers and a sacrifice fly by Marichal prove to be the difference as the Giants score two runs in the seventh inning to break a 1-1 tie.  Willie Kirkland hit an inside-the-park home run (7) in the fourth for San Francisco.

Chicago    6    San Francisco    5

The Cubs built a 5-1 through 5 1/2 innings and then hold on for the victory.  The Giants left the winning runs on second and third as Don Elston (6th save) got Orlando Cepeda to fly out to end the game.  Dick Ellsworth continues his fine start raising his record to (7-1).  Bob Will and Al Heist each drove in two runs for the Cubs.  Willie Mays hit his 9th home run of the season for San Francisco.

Los Angeles    9    St. Louis    3

The defending World Champions continue to pace the Senior Circuit with an easy win over the stumbling Cardinals.  Sandy Koufax (3-2) goes all the way striking out 13 St. Louis batters.  Five Dodger hitters have at least two hits each.  Norm Larker leads the attack with 3 RBI.  Los Angeles has now won four in a row and are (14-5) at home for the season.

NEXT UP -  Thursday, April 15, 1971

Detroit (Kilkenny 0-0) at New York (Bahnsen 1-0)     2:00 P.M.
Milwaukee (Parsons 1-1) at Chicago (Wood 0-1)        2:15 P.M.
Oakland (Hunter 2-0) at Minnesota (Blyleven 0-0)    2:15 P.M.
Houston (Dierker 1-0) at San Francisco (Perry 1-1)   4:00 P.M.
Baltimore (Cuellar 1-0) at Cleveland (Lamb 0-0)      5:30 P.M.
California (Clark 0-0) at Kansas City (Hedlund 1-1)   8:30 P.M.
Chicago (Pappas 1-0) at San Diego (Roberts 1-0)       10:30 P.M.
St. Louis (Reuss 0-2) at Los Angeles (Downing 1-0)    11:00 P.M.

Quote    Reply   

rezzdogg

hall of famer

#12 [url]

04/26/14 10:12 AM

FROM OUR FRONT OFFICE CATEGORY, UNDER THE TOPIC: ISSUES WITH THE UPGRADED FORUM

8Pi21,

FYI:

10/10/13 06:21 PM                            
Formatting Issues

Members,

If you've had issues with formatting your content, or, more appropriately, losing your format when you post, or not being able to post tables, try this:

·         From the site’s home page, go to your profile.

·         On the menu bar at the top of the page, click on the little wrench (your personal settings).

·         On your Personal Settings page, click on “forum,” which will take you to your personal “Forum Settings” menu.

·         In the lower portion of this menu is “Editor Type.”  It gives you three options.

·         The first is wysiwyg (pronounced wizzywig).  It’s an acronym for ‘What You See is What You Get’.  This is supposed to allow your content to post exactly as it is shown in the posting box.

·         The second is bbcode, which I believe re-formats your content according to its own (mysterious!) settings, and has been an issue for me (and many others) when I’ve posted in this code on other venues.

·         The third is Lefora 2.0 (BBCODE), which I hope would be similar to what we were using before the ‘upgrade’.

Try playing around with these options to see if it addresses your formatting/posting issues.  If this helps resolve them, please also let us know here.

WYSIWYG has been the option that has been clearing this up for nearly everyone.

rezz

Player to be named later

Quote    Reply   

8pirates21

superstar

#13 [url]

05/03/14 06:47 PM

Back with the results for April 15, 1971

The road teams were definitely warriors taking six of the eight games.  

Detroit    6    New York    4

The Tigers win their second straight by scoring three times in the seventh inning.  Tom Timmerman goes to (3-0) with the win in relief.  Fred Scherman records his 3rd save of the year.  Four Tigers get two hits each to pace the offense.

Milwaukee    8    Chicago    2

Milwaukee moves back to .500 with an easy victory in Chicago.  The Crew score two in the seventh and three in the ninth to secure the victory.  Bill Parsons goes to (2-1), while Ken Sanders saves his 3rd game of the year.  Sanders got out of a bases loaded jam in the seventh to aid the Milwaukee victory.  Two RBI each by Johnny Briggs and Ted Kubiak lead the offense.

Oakland    3    Minnesota    1

Oakland wins their third straight, while the Twins lose their fifth in a row.  Catfish Hunter raises his record to (3-0) going the distance.  Sal Bando drives in two for Oakland and Joe Rudi hits a homer (2) to pace the A's.

Houston    2    San Francisco    0

Larry Dierker (2-0) goes all the way shutting out the Giants on five hits while striking out nine.  Johnny Edwards and Roger Metzger drive in the runs for Houston.

Baltimore    8    Cleveland    5

The O's rally with five runs in the eighth inning to secure Baltimore's fifth straight victory.  Cleveland has now lost four in a row.  Indians pitchers walked 12 Oriole batters to aid the Baltimore victory.  Merv Rettenmund and Boog Powell each drove in two runs.

California    3    Kansas City    0

Ricky Clark in a spot start shuts out the Royals allowing five hits.  Catcher John Stephenson hits a home run (1) to power the Angels to the victory.

San Diego    9    Chicago    2

Dave Roberts (2-0) pitches eight solid innings as the Padres roll to their second consecutive win.  Six Padres have two hits each while Nate Colbert and Cito Gaston hit home runs.

Los Angeles    9    St. Louis    4

The Cardinals rally to tie the game with four runs in the seventh only to see the Dodgers explode for five in the eighth inning.  Four Dodgers homer in the game:  Maury Wills, Willie Crawford, Dick Allen, and Jim Lefebvre all went yard.  Los Angeles scores all of their runs via the long ball.

Standings at the close of April 15, 1971

NL East                                 NL West
Pittsburgh         6-2               Los Angeles           7-3
New York          5-2                Cincinnati             5-2
Montreal           4-3               San Francisco        6-4
Chicago            5-5               San Diego              4-6
St. Louis           4-5               Houston                4-7
Philadelphia      1-6              Atlanta                  1-7

AL East                                AL West
Baltimore         6-2              Oakland                 8-2
Detroit             5-3              Kansas City            5-5
Boston             4-3              Milwaukee              4-4
New York         4-4              California               4-5
Washington      3-6              Chicago                  4-5
Cleveland        1-6              Minnesota               3-6

NEXT UP MAY 31, 1960

New York (Grba 0-0) at Baltimore (Estrada 3-3)  8:00 P.M.
Milwaukee (Jay 1-1) at Philadelphia (Green 1-0)  8:05 P.M.
Cincinnati (Purkey 4-6) at Pittsburgh (Law 3-5)  8:15 P.M.
Washington (Lee 4-2) at Boston (Delock 2-5)  8:15 P.M.
Cleveland (Perry 5-4) at Chicago (Kemmerer 4-2)  9:00 P.M.
Detroit (Lary 6-4) at Kansas City (Herbert 4-4)  9:00 P.M.
St. Louis (Simmons 3-2) at Los Angeles (Drysdale 7-3)  11:00 P.M.
Chicago (Anderson 3-4) at San Francisco (Maranda 0-1)  11:15 P.M.

Quote    Reply   

8pirates21

superstar

#14 [url]

08/11/15 03:35 PM

Long time, no post!  Sorry about that, thought I'd update everyone on the '71 season.

Standings through 5-11-71

NL East                                           NL West
Pittsburgh               21-9                 Cincinnati                20-11
New York                18-14                Atlanta                    16-16
Chicago                  18-17                Houston                   17-17
St. Louis                 18-17                Los Angeles              16-17
Philadelphia            13-18               San Francisco           15-19
Montreal                 12-18               San Diego                 11-22

AL East                                          AL West
Detroit                   18-11               Oakland                    23-11
Boston                    17-12               Chicago                    16-14
Baltimore               17-14               Kansas City               16-16
New York                14-15               Minnesota                 15-17
Washington             14-16              Milwaukee                 13-16
Cleveland                 9-21             California                   12-21

Summary of May 11, 1971

National League

Philadelphia defeats Chicago 3-2.The Phillies score two unearned runs in the sixth to take out the Cubs.  Joe Hoerner picks up his 8th save of the season backing the pitching of Woody Fryman.

St. Louis blows out Montreal at Jarry Park 13-1.  Bob Gibson cruises to his 3rd win of the season.  Joe Torre hits his 9th HR of the year and now has 32 RBI.

Houston reaches .500 with a 5-2 victory over the Mets.  Larry Dierker improves to 5-0 and Cesar Cedeno drives in RBI number 25 for the year.

Pittsburgh defeats San Diego out west 4-3.  Doc Ellis improves to 8-0 and Dave Giusti notches his 8th save.  The Buccos welcome back Roberto Clemente, but lose Willie Stargell to injury for the next 8 games.

Atlanta wins their 8th straight 6-0 over the Dodgers.  Ron Reed wins his second straight decision after dropping his first seven decisions.  Orlando Cepeda goes deep for the Braves.

San Francsico snaps a 10 game losing streak by defeating the Reds 7-3.  Gaylord Perry puts the brakes on the Giants skid.  Jerry Johnson saves number 8 for San Francisco.

American League

Oakland shuts out Cleveland 2-0 as Catfish Hunter wins his 7th game of the year.  Reggie Jackson provides the two runs with his 5th home run.

Kansas City takes another from Baltimore 4-2.  Mike Hedlund gives up two in the first, but then shuts out the Orioles the rest of the way.  Amos Otis hits HR #4.

Detroit walks off with a 10 inning 4-3 win over California.  Dick McAuliffe hits his first home run of the year to win the game for the Tigers.

Washington scores two in the 11th inning to take out Chicago 7-5.  Dave Nelson continues hot with 3 hits in the victory for the Senators.

New York bests Milwaukee 6-2 behing Stan Bahnsen (4-2).  Bobby Murcer hits home run #5 to pass the Yankees.

Boston scores in the 9th to defeat Minnesota 3-2.  Carl Yastrzemski hits his 5th home run and Sparky Lyle saves his 6th game of the season.

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE ABOUT MY 1960 REPLAY:

I will soon be finishing the month of June 1960.  With the All-Star Game coming soon was wondering if I could open up the voting for the All-Star game.  I would post the top players at each position, and you the fellow STRAT fans could vote for the rosters I would use for the two All-Star Games.  I would provide the stats for each player so you could make an informed decision.  Please let me know what you think!

Sorry for the lack of posting, hoping to be more consistant!!  Until next time,

Quote    Reply   

67Mantle

hall of famer

Posts: 2,917 Member Since:10/08/13 Honorary Founder/ Admin/Moderator

#19 [url]

08/13/15 06:57 AM

Ballot box stuffing, Village style!

"You're either on the bus or off the bus," Ken Kesey

Quote    Reply   

zzephyr

all star

#20 [url]

08/13/15 07:43 AM

Welcome back! Glad to see the Cubs are still maintaining a winning record in 1971, but they'll have some good teams to hurdle past. Are they still near the top in your 1960 replay?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help