Remove this ad

rezzdogg

hall of famer

Founder/Admin

Lead

09/29/14 02:04 PM

Tags : :

Friends and members,

As another MLB post-season is upon us, it's time once more to pick, predict and invest our hearts and self-esteem in a team that has a chance to win it all.  As a lifelong Orioles fan, I'm still not accustomed to my team being in the post-season.  I'm used to having to adopt another team for the pos-seaon, almost always an under dog.  Over much of the last 30 years, not only have my baseball hopes and aspirations died shortly after the All-Star Break, but I'd have to go through the same greiving process again in the post-season.  Sometimes, when the World Series teams were determined, I'd have to pick a third team to root for.  Not wanting to see a big money team buy a championship, I'd pick another Cinderella team and get both of my glass slippers stolen and smashed at the ball.  And, of course, it may even be worse when a Cinderella team ('69 Mets) smacks the snot out of your team . . .

What's your favorite MLB post-season under dog story?  How was it to see your team win it all, or to advance in the post-season only to eventually fall short?  What is it that makes us want to embrace the under dog?

rezz

Player to be named later

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

delsea2

hall of famer

#1 [url]

09/29/14 05:55 PM

Hi Ken,
For me my favorite under dog story was last year when my Red Sox won the series. I remember many of the so called baseball experts picked the Cardinals to win the series. But I never waivered even when they loss to Detroit in game one. And the way they came back to win game two I believe that set the tone for the rest of the playoffs for them. You know its funny how some teams just have that look about them at this time of year. And I really thought the Red Sox had that look ever since the bombings during the Boston marathon. And when you throw in the beards and the desire that they showed I knew it was going to be hard for any team to beat them at that point. As for this year I'd like to see one of the small market teams win it even though its going to be tough for them to do it. But that's what being an under dog is all about. I hope your O's have a good run. But for me I still like the Cardinals in the NL to make it but they too won't have it easy with the Dodgers and Nats waiting in the wings.

J.Q. GO 2017 RED SOX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote    Reply   

67Mantle

hall of famer

Posts: 2,910 Member Since:10/08/13 Honorary Founder/ Admin/Moderator

#2 [url]

09/30/14 07:33 AM

I knew in my heart the Reds would clean New York's clock in 1976, although I never gave up hope and deluded myself right through the sweep....that would be one. But in my lifetime the 1969 Mets, who I STILL consider a second place team, really defied all odds that year. Just about everyone I knew had the Orioles as a cinch to win it all. But when you've got the Ron Swoboda's of the world coming up with Gold Glove caliber catches and a ping-ponger like Al Weis taking the ball deep, well, that's some real heavy artillery to counter. Add in a smudge of shoe-polish and there you have it....the upset of the ages.

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#3 [url]

09/30/14 02:50 PM

For me it easily was 1997 when the Indians made it to the World Series. No way should they have beaten Baltimore (sorry J.Q.) or New York (by then you probably did not care, Mike) but they caught lightning in a bottle and then held the lead in the 9th of game 7 until Jose Mesa's magic wore off and the Marlins (come on, the Marlins??) won it in extra innings.

Quote    Reply   

rezzdogg

hall of famer

#4 [url]

09/30/14 04:40 PM

delsea2 wrote:
Hi Ken,
For me my favorite under dog story was last year when my Red Sox won the series. I remember many of the so called baseball experts picked the Cardinals to win the series. But I never waivered even when they loss to Detroit in game one. And the way they came back to win game two I believe that set the tone for the rest of the playoffs for them. You know its funny how some teams just have that look about them at this time of year. And I really thought the Red Sox had that look ever since the bombings during the Boston marathon. And when you throw in the beards and the desire that they showed I knew it was going to be hard for any team to beat them at that point. As for this year I'd like to see one of the small market teams win it even though its going to be tough for them to do it. But that's what being an under dog is all about. I hope your O's have a good run. But for me I still like the Cardinals in the NL to make it but they too won't have it easy with the Dodgers and Nats waiting in the wings.

J. Q.,

I still can't forget how much the 2004 Red Sox were considered under dogs in the ALCS, especially after being down 3-0 to the Yankees.  I enjoyed that series so much, watching Big Papi and Johnny Damon have one clutch hit after another.  Once they won their second game (the first two wins were in extra innings), I felt - probably like almost everyone else - that they weren't going to be stopped.  Sweeping the Cardinals in the World Series was also pretty awesome.  The Red Birds' offense looked like a team from the 1930s.  Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, and then Larry Walker coming over from the Rockies!  I think this was by far the Cardinals best offensive team during the LaRussa era, and probably the best since the Gas House Gang.  I've never been a Red Sox fan, but that was just great baseball to witness.

Ken

Player to be named later

Quote    Reply   

rezzdogg

hall of famer

#5 [url]

10/01/14 03:47 PM

67Mantle wrote:
I knew in my heart the Reds would clean New York's clock in 1976, although I never gave up hope and deluded myself right through the sweep....that would be one. But in my lifetime the 1969 Mets, who I STILL consider a second place team, really defied all odds that year. Just about everyone I knew had the Orioles as a cinch to win it all. But when you've got the Ron Swoboda's of the world coming up with Gold Glove caliber catches and a ping-ponger like Al Weis taking the ball deep, well, that's some real heavy artillery to counter. Add in a smudge of shoe-polish and there you have it....the upset of the ages.

Mike,

I'm sure it must have felt great just to have the '76 Yankees back in the post season after such a long drought.

I've always wondered about the Orioles.  They were heavy favorites against the Mets in '69, and with largely the same dominant team, and nearly an identical dominant record, and another 3-0 identical dominant sweep of the Twins in the ALCS, I remember them nonetheless being the under dogs against the Big Red Machine in 1970. 

Whaaaaaat????  Really????

Sure, the Reds had a huge offense, but their pitching was completely questionable.  Simpson was injured and out, and Merritt broke down and was hurt.  They were no match for the O's starting pitchers.

Ken

Player to be named later

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#6 [url]

10/02/14 04:01 PM

Ken - just read over my comment - I meant - sorry Ken (about the 1997 Indians beating a much better Orioles team in the play offs).

Quote    Reply   

rezzdogg

hall of famer

#7 [url]

10/03/14 01:52 PM

Gary,

I just don't know how I ever managed to move on from the devastating disasters of 1996 and 1997.  I guess you just have put your life back together one piece at a time . . .

rezz

Player to be named later

Last Edited By: rezzdogg 10/04/14 06:29 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

67Mantle

hall of famer

#8 [url]

10/15/14 09:35 PM

Gary, I don't even know who exactly played for NY in 1997. No idea. That's how angry I was.....

Quote    Reply   

67Mantle

hall of famer

#9 [url]

10/15/14 09:35 PM

I still don't.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

rezzdogg

hall of famer

#11 [url]

10/18/14 11:25 PM

gwloar wrote:
For me it easily was 1997 when the Indians made it to the World Series. No way should they have beaten Baltimore (sorry J.Q.) or New York (by then you probably did not care, Mike) but they caught lightning in a bottle and then held the lead in the 9th of game 7 until Jose Mesa's magic wore off and the Marlins (come on, the Marlins??) won it in extra innings.

I didn't think Cleveland had any shot in the AL.  The O's, M's and Yanks all had enough juice for a serious cocktail.  Cleveland had a tremendous offense, but not really the pitching to advance in series play.  They got enough pitching when they needed it, though.  It was quite a World Series with the under dog Marlins as well.  I didn;t think the Fish would win, especially with the down year Sheffield had.

Player to be named later

Quote    Reply   

delsea2

hall of famer

#12 [url]

10/22/14 02:54 PM

Hi Guys,
Well it's KC & the Giants for the 2014 title. After game # 1 the Giants look to be on a mission as they seek their third title. Not sure if the youth of KC can over come the experience of the Giants. I think it will be the Giants in either 5 or 6 games but that's just my humble option.

J.Q.

J.Q. GO 2017 RED SOX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote    Reply   

rezzdogg

hall of famer

#13 [url]

10/29/14 01:37 PM

gwloar wrote:
That Cleveland team sure had a lot of firepower, but they really didn't have the pitching to advance as far as they did.

rezz

Player to be named later

Quote    Reply   

rezzdogg

hall of famer

#14 [url]

10/29/14 01:45 PM

lencandraw wrote:
Wasn't rooting for them really, but the 1988 Dodgers are the ones that stick in my mind. The last two San Fran champs still have we wondering how they did it...

The '88 - '90 A's remind me a lot of the '69 - '71 O's.  Both teams should have won 2-3 championships instead of only one.  The '88 Dodgers didn't have anywhere close to the depth of the A's, and it was quite a remarkable under dog story for them.

rezz

Player to be named later

Quote    Reply   

rezzdogg

hall of famer

#15 [url]

10/29/14 01:48 PM

delsea2 wrote:
Hi Guys,
Well it's KC & the Giants for the 2014 title. After game # 1 the Giants look to be on a mission as they seek their third title. Not sure if the youth of KC can over come the experience of the Giants. I think it will be the Giants in either 5 or 6 games but that's just my humble option.

J.Q.

J.Q.,

It's certainly been a double-dawg under dog series this year, whoever wins.

rezz

Player to be named later

Quote    Reply   

akw4572

farm hand

#16 [url]

11/03/14 09:15 PM

Easy for me, my senior year in high school (1990) when the Reds went wire to wire. Despite that fact, and rightfully so, they were huge underdogs to the A's in the series. Then Eric Davis hit that BOMB off of Dave Stewart in the first inning ,Rijo pitches great, and the Nasty Boys finished things out. Great, great memories for me.

Quote    Reply   

rezzdogg

hall of famer

#17 [url]

11/04/14 03:24 PM

akw4572 wrote:
Easy for me, my senior year in high school (1990) when the Reds went wire to wire. Despite that fact, and rightfully so, they were huge underdogs to the A's in the series. Then Eric Davis hit that BOMB off of Dave Stewart in the first inning ,Rijo pitches great, and the Nasty Boys finished things out. Great, great memories for me.

Hey akw,

Welcome to the Village!

As I recall, Chris Sabo had quite a series, too!  The resemblance to Spuds Mckenzie still sticks with me today . . .

rezz

Player to be named later

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help