PetCo Park
63°, overcast
Attendance: 42,474

123456789RHE
Miami (6-4)01310231112160
San Diego (3-7)102010000461
WP: Nolasco (1-1)
LP: Baek (0-1)
HR: Hairston (2), Yastrzemski (2), Headley (1), Ramirez (3), Ross (1)

Jim Bottomley says he likes being "locked in." His teammates like him that way, too.

Bottomley hit a triple and two doubles to help the Marlins rout the Padres 12-4 on Friday as they began a series in San Diego during their nine-game trip out west.

Bottomley extended his hitting streak to ten games. When he hit his second double, it was his sixth consecutive plate appearance in which he reached base.

"It's good to be locked in. You try to stay locked in as long as you can, because you know that at some point, you're going to come out of it," Bottomley said. "Baseball's up and down."

Bottomley now has five doubles and two triples in his first ten games, and he raised his average to .385. His two RBIs gave him a total of ten for the year.

"I think Sunny Jim is one of those cerebral hitters who are able to make adjustments on the fly," said Hanley Ramirez, who like Bottomley went 3-for-5 with 2 RBIs. "Not everyone can do that."

"We hit the ball pretty good tonight," said Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez. "It gives us a good feeling at the start of a series."

The win moved the Marlins into second place in the AL East, one game behind the Braves. Meanwhile, the Padres fell back to four under .500, after having taken two out of three over the Phillies.

"It would have been great to finally get a couple W's in a row," Padres manager Bud Black said. "But [the Marlins] broke out today."

Miami starter Ricky Nolasco, who had more than forty family and friends from his hometown of Rialto, California at the game, tossed six strong innings to even his record at 1-1.

Every player in the Marlins' lineup contributed at least one RBI each.

With two outs and the bases empty in the 3rd, Miami broke a 1-1 tie with five base hits in a row, scoring three. The Marlins chased Padres starter Cha Seung Baek out of the game by scoring 7 runs on 10 hits through the 6th inning.

All of the Padres' scoring came on home runs — a 1st-inning solo shot by Scott Hairston, a 2-run dinger by Carl Yastrzemski in the 3rd, and a 434-foot blast by Chase Headley in the 5th.

The Marlins' bullpen was perfect, with Doug Waechter retiring six in a row in the 7th and 8th, and Joe Nelson pitching a 1-2-3 9th.

The 12 runs and 16 hits were season highs for the Marlins.

NL EAST
TeamWLGB
New York84 
Miami641.0
Atlanta751.0
Philadelphia751.0
Washington452.5

NL WEST
TeamWLGB
Los Angeles66 
San Francisco66 
Arizona482.0
San Diego372.0
Colorado183.5

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

zzephyr

all star

#402 [url]

08/19/16 06:09 AM

Marlins thwart Padres as Radbourn cruises again

Saturday, April 13, 1:05 pm (Game 170)
PetCo Park
73°, cloudy
Attendance: 38,819

123456789RHE
Miami (7-4)1120000026120
San Diego (3-8)000000022480
WP: Radbourn (3-0)
LP: Foster (0-2)
SV: Gregg
HR: Yastrzemski (3)

Old Hoss Radbourn may be the best pitcher in baseball over his first three starts, but success came at a price for him on Saturday.

Radbourn overcame big pain as he helped the Marlins win their fifth of the last six, contending with the aftermath of a root canal earlier in the day. For the third start in a row, he took a shutout into the 8th inning as he and the Marlins beat the Padres 6-4.

Radbourn (3-0) allowed two runs on five hits through 7 1/3 innings, striking out six. He was lifted in the 8th after allowing a 2-run homer to Carl Yastrzemski that cut the Marlins' lead to 4-2.

The fact that Radbourn was even on the mound provided a big lift.

"It was tough," he said. "I couldn't sleep last night. It was painful. I wasn't sure if I was going to pitch."

But after sleeping just two hours, Radbourn got up in the morning and had a root canal on a tooth that has bothered him for the past ten days.

"Last night we tried to call and see if they had a 24-hour dentist, but we couldn't find one," Radbourn said. "I felt so weak. The 3rd or 4th inning I felt bad. I threw my fastball, but I had to locate it because I didn't have the power to challenge those guys."

Nevertheless, Radbourn notched his third win a row, joining Chief Bender and Jack Chesbro as the only starters in the MLB to begin the year at 3-0. Among those who have started three games, Radbourn's ERA of 1.14 is second only to that of Tim Lincecum, who is at 1.13.

"He did a tremendous job as always," Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "The guy went out there and battled for us. He showed us a lot going out there and throwing."

The Marlins took an early 4-0 lead as Padres starter Rube Foster (0-2) allowed six hits and five walks over the first three innings. After Yastrzemski's 8th inning homer brought the Padres to within two, the Marlins quickly reestablished their four-run lead as Dave Winfield tripled in Joe Kelley, then scored on a sac fly by Hanley Ramirez.

The Padres staged another rally in the bottom of the 9th, loading the bases with one out against reliever Matt Lindstrom. With Luis Rodriguez due up and representing the tying run, the Marlins turned to closer Kevin Gregg for the first time all year, having finally generated their first save situation.

Gregg's attempt at his first save nearly unraveled as he (WP-20) proceeded to throw two wild pitches in a row, allowing the Padres to pull to within two.

Now with a man on third and one out, Gregg regained his composure and induced both Rodriguez and Yastrzemski into groundball outs to secure the shaky save.

The win was the latest satisfactory offensive performance for the Marlins, who are currently third in the MLB in runs scored (66) and OPS (.854).

Meanwhile, the loss sent the Padres down to 3-8, but they're still not in last place in the abysmal NL West. The last place Rockies still have to play their series against the Nationals to determine who will be the cellar dweller of a division that does not have a single team with a winning record after twelve games.

NL EAST
TeamWLGB
New York84 
Miami740.5
Atlanta751.0
Philadelphia751.0
Washington452.5

NL WEST
TeamWLGB
Los Angeles66 
San Francisco66 
Arizona482.0
San Diego382.5
Colorado183.5

Quote    Reply   

zzephyr

all star

#403 [url]

08/21/16 06:44 AM

Flailing Padres knock down Marlins

Sunday, April 14, 1:05 pm (Game 171)
PetCo Park
71°, sunny
Attendance: 44,165

123456789RHE
Miami (7-5)002000000230
San Diego (4-8)00110200X4110
WP: Peavy (1-0)
LP: Hubbell (2-1)
SV: Bell
HR: Winfield (2), Gwynn (1)

Two weeks into the season, the San Diego Padres have yet to win two straight games. That will change if they can beat the Cubs on Tuesday night.

"Let's keep this going!" Tony Gwynn said after a 3-for-5 performance that included a double and a home run. "Let's get some kind of winning streak and see if we can build on that. Let's go out there tomorrow and have the same intensity and excitement, and hopefully we can get something rolling."

By taking the final game of the series and avoiding the sweep, the Padres also ensured that they won't end the weekend in sole possession of last place in the NL West. If the Rockies manage to sweep the Nationals, then the Diamondbacks, Rockies, and Padres will all be tied for last in the floundering division.

Gwynn's opposite-field shot to left on an 0-1 pitch from Carl Hubbell (2-1) was his first of the year. Josh Willingham leaped vainly for the ball.

"I thought he might have had it, but he never pulled it out of his glove or anything, so I figured it was a home run," Gwynn said.

It was Gwynn's third 3-hit game in a row, and it raised his average to .413 after 11 games.

"I tried to get him with a screwball down and in, but the ball stayed up in the zone," Hubbell said. "I made a mistake and paid for it."

Gwynn's home run began the scoring for the Padres, who scored another in the 4th on an RBI triple by Turkey Stearnes, then two more in the 6th on a barrage of singles.

After allowing Martin Dihigo and Edgar Gonzalez to reach on base hits and then walking Orlando Cepeda to load the bases, Hubbell was taken out of the game. Matt Lindstrom was brought in to try to hold things down, but Gwynn and Adrian Gonzalez both singled to give the Padres the 4-2 lead.

"This was obviously a nice win going into an off day, because getting swept at home would have been a little tough to swallow," manager Bud Black said. "Our guys come to play every day, but there will definitely be a better feeling on Tuesday after today's win."

Still in search of his first save, Trevor Hoffman once again gave the Padres a scare in the top of the 9th as he quickly retired the first two batters, then walked the next three in a row to load the bases. It was Hoffman's first appearance since Tuesday night, in which he blew a 3-1 lead to the Phillies by giving up a single, a home run, and a double to the first three batters he faced in the 9th.

Not willing to take any chances, Black signaled for Heath Bell to come in to face Josh Willingham. When Willingham harmlessly grounded out to short to end the game, Bell was credited with the save.

It was the latest setback for Hoffman, who from 2006 for 2010 was the reigning career leader in saves. Hoffman refused to speak to reporters after the game.

The only scoring for the Marlins was a 2-run homer by former Padre Dave Winfield in the 3rd. It was his second home run of the year.

"Obviously, we just didn't score enough," manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "We started early, swung the bats well, and scored twice. After that, we couldn't do anything."

Padres starter Jake Peavy (1-0) allowed just three hits and two runs over six innings, striking out eight. It was his first decision of the year.

Meanwhile, Hubbell continued to slide after a stunning one-hitter on his first start of the year. In his second start, he only lasted five innings and gave up eight hits, but still earned the victory. In today's game, he picked up the loss while allowing nine hits.

"At first he was having a tough time finding his rhythm," Gonzalez said of Hubbell. "He looked like he was yanking his pitches, and his screwball didn't have as much action as it normally does."

2016 update: It was especially satisfying to see Tony Gwynn have a good series after last month's All-Star Game, in which Rob Manfred announced that from now on the NL batting title will be known as the "Tony Gwynn National League Batting Champion". He and his AL counterpart Rod Carew are definitely deserving names to attach to those awards.

NL EAST
TeamWLGB
New York84 
Atlanta751.0
Miami751.0
Philadelphia751.0
Washington452.5

NL WEST
TeamWLGB
Los Angeles66 
San Francisco66 
Arizona482.0
San Diego482.0
Colorado183.5

Up next for the Marlins: Having completed their 5-4 road trip, the Marlins head home for a nine-game homestand against the A's, the Brewers, and the Rockies.
Up next for the Padres: The Cubs come to town after having swept the Padres at Wrigley last weekend.
Up next for me: Anaheim Angels at Cleveland Indians

Quote    Reply   

zzephyr

all star

#404 [url]

08/23/16 06:21 AM

Santana good enough to limit Indians as Angels' bats keep buzzing

Friday, April 12, 7:05 pm (Game 172)
Progressive Field
58°, windy
Attendance: 10,421

123456789RHE
Anaheim (4-6)0240001209141
Cleveland (4-6)0004100005100
WP: Santana (1-1)
LP: Sabathia (1-1)
HR: Kendrick, Speaker

Ervin Santana was fooled once already by his manager. This time, he wasn't giving up the ball so easily.

Santana was nearing 100 pitches when he walked Asdrubal Cabrera with one out in the 6th. Anaheim manager Mike Scioscia headed for the mound, but Santana didn't budge.

"I wasn't prepared to give him the ball," Santana said. "I was going to keep it in my glove until he took it out. This was my game."

Scioscia didn't want the ball. He wanted to show confidence in his #5 starter. Scioscia returned to the dugout and Santana responded by inducing pinch-hitter Grady Sizemore into an inning-ending double play, preserving the one-run lead for the Angels.

Santana (1-1) struggled through six innings, allowing five runs on seven hits and walking four.

"Ervin is a battler," Scioscia said. "Even after letting them come back, he still kept us in the game. That's all we can ask for."

Making his first start of the year as Rod Carew was given the night off, Howie Kendrick homered and drove in four as the Angels benefitted from eight walks. Three of those came in the 3rd inning as Indians starter C.C. Sabathia floundered. Sabathia was pulled from the game after allowing Santana to drive in the Angels' sixth run of the night. He was the sixth baserunner in a row that Sabathia had allowed.

Sabathia has battled tightness and soreness in his back since his complete game victory last Saturday, but he wouldn't use it as an excuse. After two starts, both he and his transporter duplicate in Milwaukee have pitched below expectations, raising further concerns about the bizarre teleportation side effect. Cleveland Sabathia's ERA is 5.56 with a 1.676 WHIP, and Milwaukee Sabathia is sporting 5.49 and 1.424, respectively.

"I just didn't pitch very well," he said. "I gave them a big lead early. That's frustrating for me."

The Indians began to stage an impressive comeback when Tris Speaker led off the 4th inning with a home run. Nap Lajoie and Jamey Carroll followed that up with singles, setting the stage for Sal Fasano to drive them both in with a classic pitcher's card triple (in eleven years of big league ball, Fasano never once hit a triple). Making a rare plate appearance, reliever Masa Kobayashi then knocked in Fasano on a squeeze play to make it 6-4. The next inning, a bases-loaded ground ball by Lajoie allowed Victor Martinez to score, making it a one-run ballgame.

But with the game in the hands of the Indians' bullpen, Cleveland's pitchers struggled to find the plate. Three more runs on six hits in the 7th and 8th innings sealed the deal for the Angels.

"They're very aggressive, but we still walked eight guys," Indians manager Eric Wedge said. "[The Angels] don't walk very much. We've got to make pitches. We didn't. We haven't in a while."

The Indians have now lost four out of the last five.

All of the walks and key hits made a winner out of Santana, who learned a valuable lesson in his first start against the Blue Jays last Saturday. Scioscia came out for a visit in the middle of an inning and Santana thought his night was done. He held the ball out for his manager to take, and began walking off the mound when Scioscia called him back. This time, he stood his ground.

"He shows confidence in me," Santana said. "I'm going to go out there and battle. That's what I did."

Game notes: Coming into this series, the Angels sent thirdbaseman Robb Quinlan down to their AAA team in Salt Lake, called up outfielder Gary Matthews, Jr. With his team ahead by four in the 8th, Matthews came in to pinch hit against Aaron Laffey. He was walked in his big league debut... Ten games into the season, the Angels are collectively hitting .303, which is third in the MLB.

AL CENTRAL
TeamWLGB
Detroit84 
Minnesota84 
Kansas City751.0
Chicago573.0
Cleveland463.0

AL WEST
TeamWLGB
Oakland75 
Houston661.0
Texas661.0
Anaheim462.0
Seattle394.0

Quote    Reply   

zzephyr

all star

#405 [url]

08/25/16 07:06 AM

Indians tie season low in scoring in loss to Angels

Saturday, April 13, 4:10 pm (Game 173)
Progressive Field
44°, overcast
Attendance: 12,885

123456789RHE
Anaheim (5-6)000100001280
Cleveland (4-7)000001000190
WP: Arredondo
LP: Kobayashi
SV: Rodriguez (2)
HR: Guerrero (2)

As is typical for matchups between #1 starters, both Tim Keefe and Addie Joss both knew that it would take a Hall of Famer to beat one.

In a classic pitchers' duel, both Keefe and Joss worked into the 8th inning as they tried to upstage each other, both only surrendering a single run before they were pinch hit for and the bullpens took over.

"They were both unhittable at first," Anaheim manager Mike Scioscia said. "Everyone was still settling into their seats by the time the 3rd inning began."

The first baserunner to reach for either side was Keefe himself, as he slashed a two-out double in the top of the 3rd to end Joss' bid at perfection. Joss returned the favor in the bottom of the 3rd as he bunted Victor Martinez over, who had just singled to become the first baserunner Keefe had allowed. Ultimately, neither legendary starter would get the glory for this game, as both left with the game still tied.

"I felt strong," Keefe said. "I could've gone on, but I was due to lead off the 8th, and it was important to give our guys a chance at the plate."

The deciding inning for the Angels was the 9th, when Mike Napoli led off with a base hit off Masa Kobayashi, then stole second to get himself into scoring position. With one out, Frank Chance came through with a base hit, giving Napoli the opportunity to score the go-ahead run. Napoli had a 1-15 chance to score, and the 20-sider came up with a 15 — an extremely close play at the plate that spelled the difference between victory and extra innings.

Francisco Rodriguez worked a perfect 9th for his second save (though he'd better pick up the pace if he hopes to approach the record-setting 62 saves that he got in '08).

Joss avoided walking anybody for the first time this year. He had walked two each in his first two starts.

"I've been working on keeping the ball down," Joss said. "I'm throwing in the zone and cutting down on my walks. Guys are making the plays behind me. But it wasn't enough. I want to win; need to win."

Vladimir Guerrero led off the 4th with a home run that put the Angels on the board first. Then in the bottom of the 6th, Keefe walked Elmer Flick to lead things off. After Flick stole second, he scored on a single by Jamey Carroll.

It was Cleveland's third loss in a row, and their fifth in the last six games.

Meanwhile, the Angels' pitching continues to coast as they won their third in a row, coming right after a six-game losing streak. Their ERA in these three games is 2.67, compared to 5.42 over the previous six.

AL CENTRAL
TeamWLGB
Detroit84 
Minnesota84 
Kansas City751.0
Chicago573.0
Cleveland473.5

AL WEST
TeamWLGB
Oakland75 
Houston661.0
Texas661.0
Anaheim561.5
Seattle394.0

Quote    Reply   

zzephyr

all star

#406 [url]

09/02/16 06:20 AM

Indians and Angels both snap three-game streaks

Sunday, April 14, 1:05 pm (Game 174)
Progressive Field
45°, windy
Attendance: 10,564

123456789RHE
Anaheim (5-7)000100000190
Cleveland (5-7)00001130X5100
WP: Coveleski (1-1)
LP: Hunter (0-1)
HR: Flick

Even after the Indians lost their season-worst third in a row on Saturday, manager Eric Wedge kept believing in his team.

Today, Wedge's faith in his players paid off. Behind Stan Coveleski's pitching and a rare show of power by Elmer Flick, the Indians beat the Angels 5-1 to avoid getting swept at home.

"We were our own worst enemy in those three games," Wedge said. "We had an opportunity to win each of them. We should be sitting on a five-game winning streak right now."

Coveleski was one bad inning away from blanking the Angels. With one out in the 4th, Coveleski walked Mike Napoli, then allowed a base hit to Frank Chance. When Sam Crawford singled Napoli home, the Angels took the early lead for the third game in a row.

Meanwhile, the only baserunner Angels starter Catfish Hunter allowed through the first four innings was Coveleski himself, who singled with two outs in the 3rd. But he began to fall apart as he walked Jamey Carroll to lead off the 5th, then gave up singles to Asdrubal Cabrera and Joe Sewell, tying the game 1-1. An RBI single by Carroll in the 6th gave the Indians their first lead of the series.

Facing reliever Darren Oliver in the 7th, the Indians extended their lead when Cabrera led off with a double and scored on a base hit by pinch-hitter Ryan Garko. Elmer Flick's two-run homer after that made it 5-1 Cleveland. Flick managed to hit 11 dingers in 1900, but throughout the rest of his 13-year career, he rarely hit more than four home runs in a season.

"It kills you when you don't locate a pitch and they hit it out of the park," Oliver said.

Coveleski gave up six hits over seven innings, earning his first victory of the year. After Rafael Perez loaded up the bases in the 8th, Aaron Laffey came in and ended the inning with a 6-4-3 double play, then shut down the Angels in the 9th to preserve the win.

"Covey was very good," Wedge said. "He was just short of dominant."

Coveleski gave most of the credit to his teammates.

"It helps out when you're pitching and your bats finally get hot," Coveleski said. "I had some great defense behind me, and there was great bullpen work from Laffey. It all worked out together."

Hunter, who'd had no-decisions in his first two starts, saw his ERA remain steady at 2.95 despite today's loss.

"Jim pitched pretty good today," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "But we did not swing the bats well at all."

The Angels collected at least eight hits for the 11th time in 12 games. They're one of only three teams in the MLB who are still hitting over .300. Sunday was the first time in their 12-game road trip that they did not hit a home run.

"We were able to keep them in the ballpark, which is something we weren't able to do before," Wedge said. "That was big."

Game notes: So as to allow Chone Figgins to start at third base, Scioscia experimented with having Ray Dandridge play shortstop throughout this series. Dandridge, normally a 3B-1, e10 at the hot corner, is only an SS-3, e56. The only error he committed was in the first game, and no runs scored as result of that... Heading into the 8th inning of today's game, the 10-game hitting streaks of both Rod Carew and Richie Ashburn were on the line, but both managed to get singles to extend their streaks to 11.

AL CENTRAL
TeamWLGB
Detroit84 
Minnesota84 
Kansas City751.0
Chicago573.0
Cleveland573.0

AL WEST
TeamWLGB
Oakland75 
Houston661.0
Texas661.0
Anaheim572.0
Seattle394.0

Up next for the Angels: They're halfway through their 12-game road trip! Next up is a trip to Texas, followed by a journey back up north to Detroit.
Up next for the Indians: The Indians' homestand continues as the Blue Jays and Rangers come to town.
Up next for me: Tampa Bay Rays at Toronto Blue Jays

Quote    Reply   

zzephyr

all star

#407 [url]

09/05/16 07:17 AM

Andy Cooper leads Blue Jays to a 2-1 victory over the Rays

Friday, April 12, 7:35 pm (Game 175)
Rogers Centre
Roof closed
Attendance: 50,494

123456789RHE
Tampa Bay (1-9)000000001160
Toronto (7-3)01000001X270
WP: Cooper (2-0)
LP: Shields (1-1)
SV: Ryan (3)

Heading into this weekend's series, the Blue Jays had the best record in the AL, and the Rays had the worst. And tonight the Blue Jays continued to beat the Rays while they were down.

Andy Cooper had a shutout going all the way up to the final out, turning in a one-run, six-hit performance as he won his second start of the year, handing the Rays their 5th loss in a row and snapping the Blue Jays' 3-game losing streak.

"That's as good as he always is," manager John Gibbons said of Cooper. "I can count on him to pitch this way every time he goes out there."

Cooper only struck out two, but he wasn't concerned.

"I don't care much about the strikeouts," said Cooper, who only averaged 3.5 strikeouts per 9 innings throughout his career. "I just want to win games."

Rays outfielder Cool Papa Bell, who batted against Cooper many times in the Negro Leagues throughout the '20s and '30s, said it's never easy facing Cooper's dizzying array of running fastballs, tight curveballs, and biting screwballs.

"He's really tough because you never know what's coming next," Bell said. "He has sterling control, and he can put the ball anyplace he wants it to go."

Cooper ran into trouble for the first time all night in the 9th as he went for the shutout. With two outs, he allowed three straight base hits to Akinori Iwamura, Wee Willie Keeler, and B.J. Upton, bringing the Rays to within one and putting the tying run at third. At that point, Gibbons felt he had no choice but to bring in closer B.J. Ryan to get the final out.

"Andy's been our best guy on the mound so far this year," said Gibbons of the Blue Jays' #5 starter, who now sports an ERA of 1.10. "We were all really pulling for him to get that last out and preserve the shutout, but the situation was getting dire, and his tank was clearly empty. When I went out there, he gave the ball to me without any argument."

After Cooper walked off the mound to a thunderous ovation from the 50,000+ fans present at Rogers Centre, Ryan trotted in and promptly struck out Eric Hinske to earn his third save of the year.

On the other side of the diamond, James Shields also turned in a top-notch performance, holding the Blue Jays to one run on five hits over seven innings. The only run he allowed came in the 2nd on a double by Alex Rios and a single by Matt Stairs.

Facing reliever Chad Bradford in the 8th, the Blue Jays added what would become a crucial insurance run when Cooper led off with a bloop double that landed just inside the foul line in shallow left. Two outs later, David Eckstein grounded an RBI single to third. A diving Eric Hinske (3B-5) made the stop in foul territory, but first baseman Bill Terry couldn't scoop Hinske's low throw and the ball rolled away, allowing Cooper to score.

"I thought we had him," Hinske said. "It's a do-or-die play. I didn't even know if I had a chance to catch it. When I caught it, I just got up and threw it as hard as I could and almost got him."

Game note: Despite the Rays' dismal 1-9 start to the year, they have actually outscored their opponents 53-50. Four of their nine losses have been by two runs or less.

AL EAST
TeamWLGB
Toronto73 
Boston751.0
New York751.0
Baltimore573.0
Tampa Bay196.0

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

zzephyr

all star

#408 [url]

09/10/16 06:57 AM

Keeler's many clutch hits lead Rays past Blue Jays

Saturday, April 13, 1:35 pm (Game 176)
Rogers Centre
Roof closed
Attendance: 50,518

1234567891011RHE
Tampa Bay (2-9)101010002016131
Toronto (7-4)020030000005100
WP: Smith (1-1)
LP: Tallet (0-1)
SV: Wheeler
BS: Ryan
HR: Wells (2)

The Rays have finally figured out a formula for winning: Wee Willie Keeler just has to get at least four hits.

The 5'4" right fielder with the 46-ounce bat went 4-for-6 and drove in four on Saturday, including the tying run in the 9th and the go-ahead run in the 11th. All four of his RBIs either tied the game or put the Rays in the lead. For good measure, he also stole three bases. The only other Rays victory so far this year was a week ago against the Rangers, and it was also a four-hit night for Keeler.

Hilton Smith pitched a perfect 9th and 10th for the win, and Dan Wheeler finally made his first appearance as the Rays generated their first save situation of the year. In the 11th, Wheeler gave up a leadoff single to Lloyd Waner, but Waner was promptly thrown out trying to steal second by Dioner Navarro, who had subbed for Yogi Berra behind the plate beginning in the 9th. Wheeler easily retired the next two hitters to earn his first save.

Rays manager Joe Maddon didn't want to contemplate his team becoming the first to enter double digits in the loss column. Were it not for Keeler's heroics throughout the day, that could have easily happened.

"We never dig ourselves deep holes," Maddon said before the game. "So many of our losses have been by one or two runs. The fact that we've only won twice so far is just baseball. We have to focus on controlling the controllables; keep scoring runs; keep the other guys from scoring as many; and let what happens happen."

"It always feels good to contribute to a win," Keeler said. "Now it's off to tomorrow."

Blue Jays closer B.J. Ryan was zeroing in on his fourth save of the year before things fell apart in the top of the 9th. With one out, Navarro came in to pinch hit, and was hit in the leg by an 89 MPH fastball. Ryan continued to have control issues throughout the rest of the inning. After walking B.J. Upton on four pitches, he proceeded to throw two straight wild pitches, allowing Navarro to score and cut the lead to one. Cool Papa Bell flew out to shallow right for the second out, bringing up Keeler for what and over 50,000 fans hoped would be the final out.

Instead, with the fans standing and screaming, Keeler slashed a single for his third hit of the day, scoring Upton and handing Ryan his first blown save of the year. A 1-2-3 9th by Smith sent the game into extra innings.

After the first two hitters had flown out to start the 11th, Bell reached on a single, then stole his second base of the day to set things up again for Keeler. Keeler's fourth RBI single of the day came off reliever Brian Tallet, who had only allowed two other runs all year — also against the Rays in Tampa, two weeks earlier. Those two runs had been inconsequential, with the Blue Jays already ahead 8-2 in the 8th. This time, the run that Tallet allowed was far more costly.

"It was a good pitch, down and away, bottom of the zone," Tallet said. "He just leaned out and slapped it into center. Great piece of hitting."

"It seems like every hit Willie gets is important, and that was definitely the case tonight," Smith said. "They're nothing to sneeze at. Both times we've won, we've had him to thank."

Keeler was visibly excited after knocking in the go-ahead run, shouting with delight while standing on first base.

"I was pretty pumped up," he said. "It's a big win for us, a big team win. Good feeling."

Maddon was pleased to see his bench share in Keeler's jubilation.

"We need more moments like that, where the guys get to be emotional and loud," he said.

In the top of the 1st, the Rays jumped out to their first lead of the series when Keeler got the first of his RBI singles. But the Blue Jays came back in the 2nd with RBI hits from Waner and David Eckstein, putting them in the lead 2-1. Tampa Bay tied it in the 3rd on Keeler's next RBI single.

The Rays took the lead back in the top of the 5th on a single by Yogi Berra, but the Blue Jays tied it again in the bottom of the 5th on a homer by Vernon Wells. Rays starter Smokey Joe Williams then walked the next two batters, who advanced to second and third on a sacrifice bunt by Gregg Zaun. Marco Scutaro then lofted a fly ball to left for what should have been the final out of the inning, but the ball deflected off the glove of Cool Papa Bell, allowing both runners to score.

After earning victories in his first two starts, Blue Jays starter Al Spalding was shakier this time out, allowing hits in each of the first six innings. Fortunately for Spalding, the Rays only managed to score three times despite getting ten hits off him. They left one man on base in each of those first six innings.

AL EAST
TeamWLGB
Toronto74 
Boston750.5
New York750.5
Baltimore572.5
Tampa Bay295.0

Quote    Reply   

zzephyr

all star

#409 [url]

09/12/16 07:17 AM

Zaun leads Blue Jays to victory via slugging and throwing

Sunday, April 14, 3:05 pm (Game 177)
Rogers Centre
Roof closed
Attendance: 50,430

123456789RHE
Tampa Bay (2-10)001000010250
Toronto (8-4)10000101X3101
WP: Carlson (1-1)
LP: Smith (1-2)
SV: Downs

During the Blue Jays' great start out of the gate, one player who has failed to contribute is Gregg Zaun. That all ended on Sunday.

After allowing eight Rays to steal second on Saturday, Zaun buckled down and nabbed four would-be base stealers during critical moments throughout Sunday's game. Then in the bottom of the 8th, he capped that off with a two-out bases-empty home run that gave the Blue Jays the lead, leading the way to victory and ensuring that the Blue Jays retained sole possession of first place in the AL East.

The homer was just Zaun's 6th hit in 44 at-bats, and was his first extra-base hit of the year. Before today's game, he had gone 8-for-28 in catching baserunners.

"Gregg coming through like that; that's a huge thing. It was the shot in the arm we've been needing." Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said.

It was the first time all year that the Blue Jays got ten or more hits two games in a row. In the previous five games during which the Blue Jays had gone 1-4, they had batted .229 as a team and struck out 37 times.

Zaun's drive rattled Rays reliever Hilton Smith, who had dominated the two innings he pitched the day before, retiring all six batters he faced. When Zaun came to the plate with his .116 batting average, Hilton had already gotten the first two hitters to pop it up, and was ready to take the tie game into the 9th inning.

"That homer threw me off my game," said Smith, who gave up a base hit to Marco Scutaro in the following at-bat. "It kind of made me more cautious. Instead of attacking hitters, I started nitpicking and I started falling behind."

Scutaro went 3-for-4 as the Blue Jays sent Tampa Bay to its 10th loss, making the Rays the first team in the MLB to head into double digits in either column. All four times that a Rays runner was caught trying to steal second, he represented the go-ahead run.

"It's important to be careful on the basepaths, but it's not going to make us any less aggressive," Rays manager Joe Maddon said.

Blue Jays starter Juan Marichal allowed one run on four hits over seven innings, and was on line for his second victory before reliever Brandon League loaded up the bases in the 8th with a single and two walks. Cool Papa Bell then drove in the tying run with a sac fly, taking the decision out of Marichal's hands. In three starts, Marichal is 1-0 with a shutout and a 1.69 ERA.

"I had a good changeup today," Marichal said. "I thought I located the ball well."

After League had surrendered the tying run, Jesse Carlson put out the fire by retiring the next three hitters, earning himself the win after Zaun's home run in the bottom of the inning. Scott Downs then pitched a perfect 9th to earn his first save of the year. Downs was pitching in place of the Blue Jays' regular closer B.J. Ryan, who had been given the day off after a tough blown save the day before.

"Snakeface has been reliable for us every time he has come in," Marichal said while referring to Downs, who has yet to give up a hit in four appearances.

The Blue Jays jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the 1st when the Rays failed twice in a row to convert double play opportunities. Hughie Jennings led off with a base hit, and Lloyd Waner followed that with a walk. Willie Stargell and Vernon Wells then both hit grounders to short that looked like they would be double plays, but in both cases the batter beat out the throw to first. That allowed Jennings to score the game's first run.

The Rays tied it up in the 3rd when their starting pitcher Ray Brown (#7 hitting card) hit a solo homer. The Blue Jays took back the one-run lead in the 6th on a double by Stargell and a single by Ross Youngs.

Game note: Eight out of the Blue Jays' first twelve games has been decided by one run. This win evened up their one-run game record at 4-4.

AL EAST
TeamWLGB
Toronto84 
Boston751.0
New York751.0
Baltimore573.0
Tampa Bay2106.0

Quote    Reply   

67Mantle

hall of famer

Posts: 2,910 Member Since:10/08/13 Honorary Founder/ Admin/Moderator

#410 [url]

09/13/16 10:02 PM

Tampa Bay still brings back the name "Rowdies" to me instead of Rays.

"You're either on the bus or off the bus," Ken Kesey

Quote    Reply   

tweek

hall of famer

#412 [url]

11/04/16 04:29 PM

Zeph!  Your Cubbies finally won the World Series!  Eamus Catuli! AC000000 and all that jazz.  Where are you, man?!

###

"Strato ergo sum - I Strat, therefore I am."

Quote    Reply   

67Mantle

hall of famer

Posts: 2,910 Member Since:10/08/13 Honorary Founder/ Admin/Moderator

#413 [url]

11/07/16 10:58 PM

HA! Go get him, tweek. Good man.

"You're either on the bus or off the bus," Ken Kesey

Quote    Reply   

nds2632

farm hand

#414 [url]

12/15/16 08:36 PM

What do the numbers mean?

Hi there - I'm new to Strat Village and have two questions on your post:

1. What does the "C&D" mean in the subject line?
2. What do the numbers in parentheses mean in the subject line?

Thanks!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help