Remove this ad

gwloar

hall of famer

Lead

05/03/16 01:46 PM

Tags : :

POLO GROUNDS GAZETTE

1964 Season

So my next replay is actually an ambitious undertaking. I will be playing the 1964 season.  Now that is not a big surprise since practically anyone who does replays turns to 1964.  You are practically guaranteed two pennant races.  The AL should be a close race between New York, Chicago, and Baltimore. Detroit and Minnesota should have powerful offenses but both somehow failed to compete. The NL should include just about everyone except New York, Houston, and Chicago. There are big stars (Mays, Mantle, Killebrew, Gibson, Drysdale) and great young players (Conigliaro, Oliva, Bunker, Carty, Hart, Brock, Allen).  What’s not to like about 1964? 

But my motive is a bit different. 1964 was the first season that I actually clearly remember and the first year I followed baseball closely – at least the American League. I remember Stottlemyre coming up and the great final kick of the Yankees and the heartbreaking loss to the Cardinals in the Series. (Yes, I was a Yankee fan back then). So it has fond memories for me.  But my ambitious goal is to play 1964 and then proceed directly to 1965 and then to 1966. 

Why, you ask? Other than the nostalgia for me, this was a great period in baseball. The Yankee collapse makes a good story and the vacuum created a chaotic melee for the pennant – culminating in the wild 1967 season (see Mike’s terrific 1967 replay). There were no repeat winners until the Orioles in 1969. Anyone can win in 1965 and the Orioles are not quite shoo-ins in 1966. Over in the NL, the Dodger collapse in 1964 was puzzling (everybody stopped hitting) and created the exciting 1964 pennant race. 1965 should be just as good – with a Dodger resurgence, the Reds (see nwfanatic’s recently finished replay), the defending Cardinals, the Giants (with the Roseboro/Marichal drama thrown in), and even the Phillies.  1966 just continues this scramble for first.

So, first I will play 1964.  Then that will become my reality. Once I start 1965, I will use my 1964 replay experience to determine my 1965 strategies – rotations, starting lineups, etc. And then continue on into 1966.  (I also have 1967 but I just can’t see me doing that season after following Mike’s replay for so long.  His replay is assuming reality for me).

Finally (about time, right?). My ground rules for 1964.  These are pretty much the same as my other replays.  The schedule will be “as played” though I plan my rotations from the “as scheduled” schedule. I play every game, plan every lineup, and plan every pitching rotation – except opening day when I use actual lineups. I immerse myself into the role of each manager. This means I do not know what will happen so I do not study the cards.  I study 1963 but not 1964 except for transactions.  I read the 1964 newspapers (mostly the Toledo Blade in Google Archives) to get a feel for the pre-season and expectations. All transactions are made as in real life (I am the manager not the general manager).  Rookies get a short leash; veterans a longer one. All my reports are bases as if it took place on that day in 1964. I have no “future” insight unless I alert you first.

Batter injuries occur based on the dice. There are no planned batter injuries.  In a change from previous replays, I have NO planned pitcher injuries. The computer keeps me from overusing anyone since I use “try to limit playing time” and “allow daily injuries”.  The impact on this is Los Angeles.  Koufax was hurt in mid-August diving back to the bag while on second. He was out for the rest of the season. In my replay, this will not happen so he may pitch more than actual.  This will have an obvious effect on the Dodgers’ chances.  But, once he gets to 28 starts, the computer is likely to make him take days off.  We will just have to wait and see how this plays out.

So rather than follow the 1964 election between Lyndon Johnson and Barry Goldwater, tag along and follow the exploits of major league baseball from 1964.

Written, March 15, 2016/edited May 3, 2016.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

nwfanatic

hall of famer

#1 [url]

05/03/16 02:38 PM

Looking forward to another thrilling replay! I like how you are using newspapers as your guide. Good dismissal of "planned injuries." 

Quote    Reply   

67Mantle

hall of famer

Posts: 2,910 Member Since:10/08/13 Honorary Founder/ Admin/Moderator

#2 [url]

05/03/16 08:08 PM

De-plan! I was wondering how long it would take to get this going knowing your play out a buffer strategy.

"You're either on the bus or off the bus," Ken Kesey

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#3 [url]

05/04/16 08:17 AM

Mike - I have a pretty good buffer going. Should be no problem bumping into games. It is easier for me to play 1960's games than 1950's because I already know just about all of the players (Heck - I have just about all of their baseball cards from when I was a teen). There is no long learning curve getting to know the players so I can just dig in and go without so much research time in preparation.

Quote    Reply   

67Mantle

hall of famer

#4 [url]

05/04/16 11:12 AM

Yes - I understand the drill. It's like a reunion rather than a task.

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#5 [url]

05/04/16 03:15 PM

Let's start with the end of the 1963 season and take us to the start of the 1964 season

Polo grounds gazette

Pre-1964 happenings

Final 1963 Standings:

Team Name

G

W

L

T

PCT

GB

Los Angeles Dodgers

-

St. Louis Cardinals

San Francisco Giants

Philadelphia Phillies

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Braves

Chicago Cubs

Pittsburgh Pirates

Houston Colt .45s

New York Mets

Team Name

G

W

L

T

PCT

GB

New York Yankees

-

Chicago White Sox

Minnesota Twins

Baltimore Orioles

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Boston Red Sox

Kansas City Athletics

Los Angeles Angels

Washington Senators

Dodgers sweep the Yankees in the World Series.

October 1963

October 10 The Mets take 1B Bill Haas from the Dodgers and P Jack Fisher from the Giants‚ while Houston grabs P Claude Raymond from the Braves in a supplemental draft for the expansion teams. In the draft‚ each of the 8 original clubs was required to make available 4 players from their roster of August 31st (the Reds list 5 players). Houston and the Mets can pay $30‚000 for each of the players chosen. Haas will never reach the majors‚ and the two pitchers chosen will make contributions: the other players go unchosen. Paul Richards‚ Houston GM‚ who had originated the idea of the draft‚ had second thoughts after seeing the players made available.

October 12 In the first (and last) Hispanic American major league all-star game‚ the NL team beats the AL 5-2 at the Polo Grounds. The game features such names as Minnie Minoso‚ Tony Oliva‚ Roberto Clemente‚ Orlando Cepeda‚ Julian Javier‚ Felipe Alou‚ Luis Aparicio‚ and Zoilo Versalles. Vic Power receives a pregame award as the number-one Latin player. NL starter Juan Marichal strikes out 6 in 4 innings‚ though reliever Al McBean is the winner. Pinch hitter Manny Mota drives in 2 against loser Pedro Ramos.

October 22 Roy Hamey retires as GM of the Yankees. His surprise replacement is Ralph Houk‚ who steps up from manager (309-176) after winning 3 pennants in as many seasons.

October 24 Yogi Berra is appointed manager of the Yankees.

Sandy Koufax is the unanimous winner of the Cy Young Award.

October 30 Sandy Koufax wins again‚ outpolling Pittsburgh's Dick Groat 237 to 190 for the NL MVP award.

November 1963

November 4 The Cards acquire P Roger Craig from the Mets for OF George Altman and P Bill Wakefield. Craig was the NL's top loser the past 2 seasons with the lowly Mets‚ dropping 24 and 22 games.

November 7 C Elston Howard becomes the first black ever voted AL MVP. New York's Howard tops Detroit's Al Kaline 248 to 148.

November 18 Detroit sends OF Rocky Colavito‚ P Bob Anderson‚ and a reported $50‚000 to Kansas City for 2B Jerry Lumpe and Ps Dave Wickersham and Ed Rakow.

November 19 Coach Hank Bauer is named to replace Billy Hitchcock (86-76) as manager of the Orioles.

November 26 Cincinnati 2B Pete Rose is a landslide winner of NL Rookie of the Year honors‚ taking 17 of 20 votes.

November 27 Chicago P Gary Peters edges teammate 3B Pete Ward and Minnesota OF Jimmie Hall for AL Rookie of the Year honors.

The A's acquire 1B Jim Gentile and $25‚000 from the Orioles for 1B Norm Siebern.

December 1963

December 1 ML owners agree to allow the expansion clubs 4 protected first-year players who can be optioned to the minors without being subject to a draft.

December 2 The Angels trade OF Leon Wagner to Cleveland for P Barry Latman and a player to be named later‚ who turns out to be Joe Adcock.

The Houston Colt 45s draft minor league P Jim Ray from Rochester (Baltimore Orioles).

The ML Rules Committee bans oversized catcher's mitts‚ effective in 1965.

The Indianapolis and Little Rock franchises are transferred from the International League to the Pacific Coast League. The International League is reduced to eight clubs and the Pacific Coast League membership raised to 12 clubs.

December 3 OF Felipe Alou‚ C Ed Bailey‚ P Billy Hoeft‚ and a player to be named are sent by the Giants to the Braves for C Del Crandall and Ps Bob Shaw and Bob Hendley.

December 4 Cleveland trades OF Willie Kirkland to the Orioles for OF Al Smith and an estimated $25‚000.

Detroit P Jim Bunning is traded to the Phillies with C Gus Triandos for OF Don Demeter and P Jack Hamilton. Not a smart move for Detroit as Bunning will win 75 games for Philley over the next 4 seasons.

December 10 Chicago's 2B Nellie Fox is traded to the Colts for cash‚ P Jim Golden‚ and OF Danny Murphy.

December 12 Minnesota LF Harmon Killebrew undergoes knee surgery.

December 14 The Pirates swap Harvey Haddix to the Orioles for infielder Dick Yencha and cash.

January 1964

January 3 The Reds announce that manager Fred Hutchinson has contracted lung cancer. He will begin two months of radiology treatment in Seattle and will make spring training with the team. 

January 6 Charlie Finley signs a 2-year pact to move the A's‚ pending AL approval‚ from Kansas City to Louisville‚ KY.

The White Sox introduce powder-blue road uniforms.

January 15 ML baseball executives vote to hold a free-agent draft in New York City. A new TV pact is also signed.

Willie Mays‚ the highest-paid player in baseball‚ signs for $105‚000.

January 16 AL owners vote 9-1 against Charlie Finley's Louisville proposal. Finley is given an ultimatum to sign a lease in Kansas City or lose his franchise.

January 28 Reds CF Vada Pinson is cleared of assault charges stemming from a September 5‚ 1963‚ incident when Cincinnati sportswriter Earl Lawson does not pursue charges further.

January 29 Pitcher-writer Jim Brosnan is given permission by the White Sox to make his own deal with another team. His in-season writing has been censured by owner Ed Short.

January 30 The United States Senate Subcommittee on Monopolies begins hearings on baseball.

February 1964

February 2 The Hall of Fame Special Veterans Committee tabs Red Faber‚ Burleigh Grimes‚ Tim Keefe‚ Heinie Manush‚ John Montgomery Ward‚ and Miller Huggins for induction‚ the biggest veterans’ class ever. Keefe and Ward were teammates and brothers-in-law‚ with Ward married to the famous actress Helen Dauvrey and Keefe married to her sister Clara Gibson.

February 15 Cubs 2B Ken Hubbs‚ 22‚ dies when his private plane crashes near Provo‚ UT‚ while en route to Colton‚ CA. As a rookie in 1962‚ Hubbs had played in 78 consecutive games without making an error.

February 17 Former White Sox SS Luke Appling is voted into the Hall of Fame by a special vote. In 1953‚ Appling's first year of eligibility for Cooperstown‚ the Sox great received just 2 votes.

February 23 Charlie Finley gives in to AL pressure and signs a 4-year lease with the municipal government to keep the A's in Kansas City. Finley wanted 2 years. His exasperated AL colleagues voted 9-1 that KC's offer was reasonable.

The San Francisco Giants sign P Masanori Murakami‚ 3B Tatsuhico Tanaka‚ and C Hiroshi Takahashi-the first Japanese ever to play for American teams. All 3 are assigned to the Magic Valley Cowboys (Pioneer League).

March 1964

March 5 Atlanta Mayor Ivan Allen‚ Jr.‚ says he has a verbal commitment from a ML baseball club to move there if a stadium is ready by 1965. A $15 million stadium is approved the next day by the city Board of Aldermen.

March 9 The ACLU charges the White Sox with violating the rights of P-writer Jim Brosnan.

March 31 The Senators send young prospect Lou Piniella to the Orioles for Buster Narum and cash. Piniella will play briefly for the O's before going to minors until the resurfacing with the Indians in 1968. The Seattle Pilots will draft him in 1969 and trade him to Kansas City where Sweet Lou‚ with his 5th team‚ finally wins Rookie of the Year honors.

April 1964

April 1 Cleveland manager Birdie Tebbetts suffers a heart attack and will be sidelined until July 5th. Coach George Strickland will manage the Indians in Tebbetts' absence.

April 3 P Carl Willey of the Mets suffers a broken jaw when he is hit by a line drive off the bat of Detroit's Gates Brown during a spring training loss. He will be out until June 6th but his career will be effectively ended.

April 8 Houston P Jim Umbricht dies of cancer at age 33. He was 4-3 with a 2.61 ERA in 1963. His #32 will be the first uniform retired by Houston.

April 9 The Tigers purchase P Larry Sherry from the Dodgers.

April 10 Demolition begins on the Polo Grounds to clear the way for a housing project.

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#6 [url]

05/04/16 03:17 PM

Note - most of this info came from the old Charlton's Chronology that used to be on the internet. (no longer there).

Quote    Reply   

thekline

hall of famer

#7 [url]

05/04/16 04:45 PM

Can't wait for this to get started, or 65 & 66, for that matter. The 60's were perhaps the classic era of baseball and when many of us first started to follow the game. 

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#8 [url]

05/04/16 08:25 PM

Klineman - and the Tigers had good teams throughout the 60's. I still can't understand why they did not compete until '67 though. Of course, trading Bunning for Demeter does not make much sense in hindsight but they thought Bunning was washed up after a losing record in 1963. Colavito for Lumpe and Wickersham was not really so bad. It solidified second base and Wickersham almost replaces Bunning. Plus they had a young Gates Brown who looked like he would take over left field - or platoon with Demeter. They also picked up Larry Sherry for the bullpen. Maybe the problem was Dressen?

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#9 [url]

05/04/16 08:38 PM

Mike - this is for you if you still have time to read before the big day. Rest of you - take your time. This is a long post.

Polo grounds gazette

1964 American League Preview

Last year the Yankees won 104 games easily winning the AL again. And they did it with Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris both out for much of the season.  Mantle has stated that he feels great and should play in over 130 games this season.  With the best pitching in the AL and a healthy Mantle, there is not much standing in the way of New York this year.  Chicago has put together a good team based on strong pitching and defense.  They added some power last year in rookie Pete Ward (22 hr’s) and if anyone can challenge New York it would be Chicago.  Minnesota is loaded with power and can challenge New York offensively.  If they could get a bit more pitching, they would be a threat to New York.  That seems unlikely but pitching is always hard to predict.  Baltimore has a solid team but other than exchanging first basemen with Kansas City, they are the same team as last year and so not likely to jump up to first.  After that, it would take a dark horse to come out of nowhere to capture the flag; and we do not see any candidates.  Here is this season’s preview.

Baltimore Orioles.  Manager – Hank Bauer.  1963 record – 86-76.  4th place.

Other than swapping out Jim Gentile for Norm Siebern, this is the same team as last season. It has a great fielding infield with Robinson and Aparicio though the outfield is a bit week with Powell in left.  The team could use more power though Powell is a huge guy and may suddenly increase his power output (25 HR’s last season) and Siebern has 20+ HR power.  Pitching is a nice mix of veterans (Roberts, Pappas) and youngsters (McNally).  The bullpen is strong and Harvey Haddix has been added to the mix.  Rookie Wally Bunker is heading north with the team and will be given a chance to join the rotation – likely as the 5th starter/swingman.  This is a team with very good defense and enough power to be interesting but they need a couple of players to suddenly improve and no one to fall back in order to challenge the Yankees.

C- Johnny Orsino                                                              Milt Pappas

1b – Norm Siebern                                                          Robin Roberts

2b – Jerry Adair                                                                 Steve Barber

Ss – Luis Aparicio                                                              Dave McNally

3b – Brooks Robinson                                                    Dick Hall

Lf – Boog Powell                                                               Stu Miller

Cf – Jackie Brandt                                                            Harvey Haddix

Rf – Russ Snyder                                                              Wally Bunker (r)

Bench – Dick Brown (c ), Bob Johnson (inf), Willie Kirkland (of), Sam Bowen(of)

Boston Red Sox.  Manager – Johnny Pesky.  1963 Record – 76-85. 7th Place.

Boston finished in 7th place last year and there is very little reason to believe that they will do anything more this season.  There is no real change in the pitching staff except that rookie Ed Connolly is expected to replace Gene Conley in the rotation.  Two other rookies are given a chance to play: Tony Conigliaro and Dalton Jones.  Conigliaro is expected to start immediately, shelving the poor hitting (and suffering from ulcers) Gary Geiger in the outfield.  Conigliaro is supposed to have power and is right-handed; a real asset here at Fenway.  Jones may displace veteran Chuck Schilling at second who also has never hit much.  After that, the offense rests on the shoulders of slugger Dick Stuart and line drive hitter Carl Yastrzemski.  There is not a whole lot after that though utility man Mantilla will get his at bats. 

Other than Dick Radatz in the bullpen, there is nothing outstanding about the pitching staff and no new blood is expected.  Bill Monboquette and Earl Wilson are real pitchers and on a better team could conceivably be 20 game winners, but not here.  After that, the pickings get real slim.

So it’s back to 7th place at best and possibly 8th.

C- Bob Tillman                                                                   Bill Monbouquette

1b – Dick Stuart                                                                 Earl Wilson

2b – Chuck Schilling                                                         Jack Lamabe

Ss – Eddie Bressoud                                                        Dave Morehead

3b – Frank Malzone                                                        Dick Radatz

Lf – Tony Conigliaro (r)                                                   Arnold Early

Cf – Carl Yastrzemski                                                      Ed Connolly

Rf – Lou Clinton                                                                Bob Heffner

Bench – Gary Geiger (of), Russ Nixon (C), Dalton Jones (inf, (r)), Felix Mantilla (ut)

Chicago White Sox.  Manager – Al Lopez.  1963 Record. 94-68.  2nd Place

Chicago has great pitching; as good if not somewhat better than the Yankees.  Great pitching will get you far as witnessed by Chicago’s 94 wins last year – except that they finished 10 games back of the Yankees.  To make up those 10 games, they need to outhit New York, too.  And that is just not going to happen despite the appearance of young Pete Ward and Floyd Robinson in the lineup.  The rest of the lineup can all field well but not hit much.  There is hope from rookie Don Buford who looks like he is wrapping up the second base starting nod but he is another speedster.  What they need is some power.  They have Dave Nicholson who can hit homeruns but he really is all or nothing. 

There is not much to say about the pitching.  They have the best relief staff in the game with Wilhelm and Fisher and the best 4 man rotation in the business with Peters, Horlen, Pizarro, and Buzhardt.  They just have to score more runs and we do not think they can do that.

C – J.C. Martin                                                                   Gary Peters

1b – Tom McGraw                                                           Joe Horlen

2b – Al Weis                                                                       John Buzhardt

Ss – Ron Hansen                                                               Juan Pizarro

3b – Pete Ward                                                                 Hoyt Wilhelm

Lf – Floyd Robinson                                                         Ray Herbert

Cf – Jim Landis                                                                   Ed Fisher

Rf – Mike Hershberger                                                  Frank Baumann

Bench – Dave Nicholson (of), Don Buford (inf), Jerry McNertney(c), Cam Carreon (c), Tom McCraw (of/1b).

Cleveland Indians.  Interim Manager – George Strickland.  1963 Record. 79-83 (5th place tie)

A big trade over the winter sent Joe Adcock and Barry Latman to the Angels for Leon Wagner.  Big Daddy will take over the left field spot while Fred Whitfield is slated to take over first base.  This second year man has shown power but also has young Bob Chance nipping at his heels for a chance to play.  There is power on this team with Wagner, Alvis, Held, Whitfield, and Romano but not a lot of men will be on base when the homers fly.  The Indians need the top of the order to have good years with the bat (Howser, Brown, Davalillo).  The defense is so-so at best though Howser has a slick glove.

With Latman gone, Sam McDowell will move into the regular rotation.  “Sudden Sam’ brings a wicked fastball but also wicked (in a bad way) control.  Kralick is another lefty without much experience so these two will have to prove themselves alongside of veterans Grant, Donovan, and Ramos.  Bell and McMahon are veterans who help stabilize the bullpen and rookie Siebert will get a chance both as a starter and out of the pen.  Overall, this may be a somewhat better team than last season but even 4th place is not too likely.  Probably they stay in 5th.

C – John Romano                                                             Mudcat Grant

1b – Fred Whitfield                                                         Sam McDowell

2b – Larry Brown                                                              Jack Kralick

Ss – Dick Howser                                                              Dick Donovan

3b – Max Alvis                                                                   Pedro Ramos

Lf – Leon Wagner                                                             Gary Bell

Cf – Vic Davalillo                                                               Sonny Siebert (r)

Rf – Tito Francona                                                            Don McMahon

Bench – Woody Held (ut), Jose Azcue (c), Bob Chance (1b), Al Smith (of), Al Luplow (of)

Detroit Tigers.  Manager – Chuck Dressen.   1963 Record.  79-83 (5th place, tie).

The Tigers made big moves in the off-season.  The feeling was that Jim Bunning’s best days were behind him so he was sent to Philly in return for Don Demeter.  Likewise, Rocky Colavito had worn out his welcome and went to K.C. in return for Jerry Lumpe and Dave Wickersham.   Lumpe will take over second base from aging Jake Wood and Wickersham will take Bunning’s spot in the rotation.   That leaves a hole in left that either veteran Demeter or youngster Gates Brown will have to fill.  Likely, the two will platoon until someone takes charge.   The rest of the offense is set as young Bill Freehan is now the established catcher and the rest of the team has been in position for a few years now.  Al Kaline is still not that old despite his experience and McAuliffe could be the best hitting shortstop in the league (along with Held at Cleveland). 

Whether the team feels the loss of Bunning depends on how well Wickersham pitches and on the health of veteran Frank Lary.  Lary has had two bad years now and this will be his make-or-break season in all likelihood.  If he does not pan out, there are prospects in the minors with Joe Sparma or Denny McLain.  The bullpen is just so-so and could be this team’s undoing. The Tigers are an interesting team.  They are a mix of veterans and youth and could surprise some folks.  Likely they are the 6th place team, however.

C – Bill Freehan                                                                 Mickey Lolich

1b – Norm Cash                                                                Dave Wickersham

2b – Jerry Lumpe                                                             Frank Lary

Ss – Dick McAuliffe                                                          Hank Aguirre

3b – Don Wert                                                                   Phil Regan

Lf – Gates Brown                                                             Ed Rakow

Cf – Bill Bruton                                                                  Terry Fox

Rf – Al Kaline                                                                      Fred Gladding

Bench – Jake Wood (inf), Don Demeter (of), Mike Roarke (c), Bubba Phillips (3b), George Thomas (of).

Kansas City A’s.   Manager – Eddie Lopat.  1963 Record. 73-89. (8th place)

About the only good thing that can be said about last season’s A’s is that they at least finished ahead of the two expansion teams this time.   They made a big trade with Detroit to land Rocky Colavito and are counting on rookie Dick Green to take over Lumpe’s second base spot.  The Rock brings some power to go along with Gentile but it is still not enough to generate enough runs to overcome the weak pitching. The outfield is not clear other than Colavito. Nelson Mathews may play center and left is up for grabs between Manny Jimenez and George Alusik.  But like anything on this team, wait a week or two and the names will change again.

John O’Donoghue and Jose Santiago are two youngsters that they hope will boost the pitching but it is still made up of mostly journeymen arms and likely to be the worst in the AL.  Can this team improve over last season?  Not too likely.  They are more likely to drop in the standings.

C – Bill Bryan                                                                    Diego Segui

1b – Jim Gentile                                                               Orlando Pena

2b – Dick Green (r)                                                          John O’Donoghue (r)

Ss – Wayne Causey                                                         Ted Bowsfield

3b – Ed Charles                                                                 Moe Drabowsky

Lf – Manny Jimenez                                                        Jose Santiago (r)

Cf – Nelson Mathews                                                    Johnny Wyatt

Rf – Rocky Colavito                                                          Aurelio Montegeado

Bench – Doc Edwards (c), Charlie Lau (c), George Alusik (of), George Williams (inf/of), Gino Cimoli (of).

Los Angeles Angels.  Manager – Bill Rigney.  1963 Record. 70-91. (9th place).

After two good seasons for an expansion team, the Angels fell back last year but hope to rebound this season.  They have some rookies to look at and added some power in Joe Adcock – if he can stay healthy – but lost Leon Wagner in the process.  Rookies Bobby Knoop at second and Ed Kirkpatrick in left will get long looks.  Lee Thomas and Adcock provide the power while Pearson, Moran, and Fregosi have been here since the beginning and are all solid if not flashy.  Still, the offense is the weakness on this team.   Bob Rodgers is a good catcher but again, does not hit.

The pitching, especially with the addition of Barry Latman, is very solid and could be one of the better staffs in the league; especially playing in pitcher-friendly Chavez Ravine which they share with the Dodgers while the new stadium is being built in Anaheim.   Any team with this good of a pitching staff can surprise people.  Look for a rotation of Chance, Newman, McBride, and Latman with flaky Belinsky fitting in somewhere.  The bullpen is deep with the two Lee’s and Dan Osinski. Right now, they look to be an improvement over last year but no higher than 7th.

C – Bob Rodgers                                                               Ken McBride

1b – Joe Adcock                                                                Dean Chance

2b – Bobby Knoop (r)                                                     Fred Newman

Ss – Jim Fregosi                                                                 Barry Latman

3b – Billy Moran                                                                Bo Belinsky

Lf – Ed Kirkpatrick (r)                                                      Don Lee

Cf – Albie Pearson                                                           Bob Lee

Rf – Lee Thomas                                                               Dan Osinski

Bench – Tom Satriano (c), Felix Torres (of), Jimmy Piersall (of), Joe Koppe (inf)

Minnesota Twins.  Manager – Sam Mele.  1963 Record. 91-70 (3rd place).

This is a power-laden team with Killebrew leading the way joined by Allison, Hall, Battey and Mincher.  This year they are excited about rookie Tony Oliva, a Cuban outfielder with a natural swing.  He could just be the bonus that puts the Twins over the top – if, and that’s a big if – they can get some pitching.  The only hole is at second where oft-injured Bernie Allen should start but likely will miss a lot and there is not much to replace him.  Zoilo Versalles is a decent if not flashy shortstop and can lead off. Third baseman Rich Rollins is often overlooked but can hit a bit though his glove is not much.

Lefty Jim Kaat is very solid and with this support should be a 20 game winner. Camilo Pascual still has his blazing fastball but after that it gets pretty dicey.   Lee Stange and Dick Stigman are next in line and then it really drops off. The bullpen is not very good and Jim Perry may have to be stationed there to avoid late inning losses.  Probably this is a 4th place team but if there is a dark horse team out there, it is Minnesota as the homeruns fly.

C – Earl Battey                                                                   Jim Kaat

1b – Harmon Killebrew                                                  Camilo Pascual

2b – Bernie Allen                                                              Lee Stange

Ss – Zoilo Versalles                                                          Dick Stigman

3b – Rich Rollins                                                                Dwight Siebler

Lf – Bob Allison                                                                 Jim Roland

Cf- Jimmie Hall                                                                  Jim Perry

Rf – Tony Oliva (r)                                                            Gerry Arrigo (r)

Bench – Don Mincher (1b), Vic Power (1b), Jerry Zimmerman (c), John Goryl (inf), Lenny Green (of)

New York Yankees.  Manager – Yogi Berra.   1963 Record 104-58 (1st Place).

The Yankees played much of last season without Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris – and still won the pennant by 10 games.  This year both are pronounced sound so how many games will the Yankees win by this year? Is 110 wins outs of the question? If Mantle and Maris are truly healthy, then they give a boost to an offense that has been slipping.  Howard, Pepitone, and Tresh are all good players but cannot carry a team.  Kubek has been hurting and in fact starts the season on the DL.   Richardson and Boyer are slick with the gloves but not much in the way of hitting.   A Mantle-Maris led offense is potent.  Without them, there is some question whether they can keep up with the likes of Minnesota or Detroit.   Catcher Ellie Howard was the MVP last season though he is another year older and may start showing signs of being over 30.  Assuming that Mantle and Maris are healthy, then the only concern on offense is getting men on base and the bench.

But the reason the Yankees won over 100 games last year was the pitching.  Ford, Bouton, and Downing are a big three that no one matches up with.   However, in a dispute over salary, the Yankees and pitching coach Johnny Sain parted ways. Whitey Ford is now the pitching coach and that could affect both the rest of the staff, especially the young Bouton and Downing, and himself.  The rest of the staff is very so-so and Terry has had arm problems this spring.  If he is hurting, then the staff is very thin after the big three.  The bullpen of Hal Reniff, Steve Hamilton, and Stan Williams is okay while rookie Pete Mikkelsen was the last pitcher to make the team and will start in the bullpen. Likely, this team wins it all again but there are many question marks starting to appear.

C – Ellie Howard                                                                Whitey Ford

1b – Joe Pepitone                                                            Jim Bouton

2b – Bobby Richardson                                                  Al Downing

Ss – Tony Kubek                                                               Ralph Terry

3b – Clete Boyer                                                               Stan Williams

Lf – Tom Tresh                                                                  Hal Reniff

Cf – Mickey Mantle                                                         Steve Hamilton

Rf – Roger Maris                                                               Pete Mikkelsen (r)

Bench – Hector Lopez (of), John Blanchard (c), Phil Linz (inf), Harry Bright (1b), Pedro Gonzalez (ut – r).

Washington Senators.  Manager – Gil Hodges.   1963 Record – 56-106 (last place).

This will be the Senators’ 4th season and they have a long way to go to get to the first division – or even out of last place.  Gil Hodges will try his first full season as the skipper after taking over mid-season last year.  The Senators finished dead last in 1963.  They were very active over the winter and now have new faces:  Bill Skowron will take over 1st.  Don Blasingame came over mid-season last year and will take over second.  Young Fred Valentine was picked up from Baltimore and could wriggle his way into the outfield replacing Don Lock in center or Jim King in right.  Chuck Hinton in left is a fixture and likely the most talented player on the team.  Mike Brumley comes over from the Dodgers to beef up the catching position.  Rookie John Kennedy is touted as a good glove at third and maybe can hit. However, there is not much power here and runs are going to be scarce. 

On top of that, the pitching is not much.  Young Claude Osteen looks like a keeper.  Buster Narum comes over from Baltimore and Hodges hopes he can be the number two guy.  The rest is not very good and likely the rotation will be a work in progress as the season progresses.  The bullpen has veterans Ron Kline and Steve Ridzik but not much else. Unfortunately, it looks like the Senators are every bit a last place team.

C – Mike Brumley                                                            Claude Osteen

1b – Bill Skowron                                                              Buster Narum

2b – Don Blasingame                                                      Bennie Daniels

Ss – Eddie Brinkman                                                       Jim Hannan

3b – John Kennedy (r)                                                   Ron Kline

Lf – Chuck HInton                                                            Steve Ridzik

Cf – Don Lock                                                                     Dave Stenhouse

Rf – Jim King                                                                       Jim Duckworth

Bench – Don Zimmer (UT), Chuck Cottier (inf), Ken Hunt (of), Fred Valentine (of-r), Don Leppert (C), Dick Phillips (1b).

2nd through 4th are a tossup and not much separates them. Likewise Cleveland and Detroit are pretty evenly matched and either could move up a notch or two. After that, the fight is strictly for 7th , 8th and 9th.  Washington has a lock on last place.

Final Picks:

1. New York Yankees

2. Chicago White Sox

3. Baltimore Orioles

4. Minnesota Twins

5. Cleveland Indians

6. Detroit Tigers

7. Los Angeles Angels

8. Boston Red Sox

9. Kansas City A’s

10. Washington Senators

Quote    Reply   

zzephyr

all star

#10 [url]

05/05/16 12:46 PM

This is exciting... A three-year replay! Looking forward to following it; may the Cardinals fare worse than they did in real life. In fact, I think it's about time the Phillies finally won something in a village replay. Here's hoping they can knock off those Cardinals and come out on top!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

delsea2

hall of famer

#11 [url]

05/05/16 06:43 PM

Hi Gary,
Really looking forward to the 64 season replay. I was 14 years old and I was living in South Jersey right across the bridge from Philly. And I clearly remember the collapse of the Phillies and how Gene Mauch used Jim Bunning & Chris Short over the last 2 weeks of the season trying to clinch the pennant and send the Phillies to the World Series. I remember when things were starting to slip away everyone was getting more upset with Mauch and how he was handling the team. He pretty much forgot the rest of the staff as he continued to try and clinch the pennant. So it will be interesting to see if the Phillies can turn their fortune in your replay and reach the promise land. Good luck and I know it will be another classic replay by you. Thanks for sharing it with us.
J.Q.

J.Q. GO 2017 RED SOX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote    Reply   

tweek

hall of famer

#12 [url]

05/05/16 11:35 PM

zzephyr wrote:
...I think it's about time the Phillies finally won something in a village replay. Here's hoping they can knock off those Cardinals and come out on top!

Amen, Brother...truer words have never been spoken.

###

"Strato ergo sum - I Strat, therefore I am."

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#13 [url]

05/06/16 08:11 AM

For Tweek's benefit, here is the NL preview (from the 1964 viewpoint; (r) means rookie status.

Polo grounds gazette

1964 National League Preview

Last year the Dodgers won the pennant, staving off a last minute charge by the Cardinals, and then dominating the Yankees in the World Series.  Their great pitching led by Drysdale and Koufax is tough to beat along with NL batting champion for two years running, Tommy Davis.  But going back to 1962, the Giants were the champs and not much has changed there, going back another year are the Reds and they seem to be improved, and going back even further the Pirates should not be taken lightly or even the aging Braves. But most writers are picking Los Angeles to repeat and we see no reason to disagree with them.  If the Dodgers do falter, then we think the Giants will swoop in to replace them.  Here is this season’s preview.

Chicago Cubs.  Manager – Bob Kennedy.  1963 record – 82-80.  7th place.

The Cubs have finally stopped their series of rotating coaches and named Bob Kennedy as the full-time manager.  That likely does not make much difference but the Cubs got above the .500 mark last year for the first time in a long time.  They have a core of the big three – Billy Williams, Ron Santo, and Ernie Banks – in the heart of the order and some decent pitching in Dick Ellsworth, Larry Jackson, and Bob Buhl. Of course the big problem with Chicago is the tragic loss of second baseman Ken Hubbs who died in a plane crash this spring. There is really no one to replace him and so trying to fill the hole at second will be rookie Jimmie Stewart or veteran Joey Amalfitano.  The rest of the infield is set with Banks (1b), Santo (3b), and Andre Rodgers (ss). The outfield is set with Williams in left, speedster Lou Brock in right, and Billy Cowan in center. Catching falls to Dick Bertell with Jimmie Schaeffer as backup.

After the big three of Ellsworth, Jackson, Buhl, pitching gets a little thin. Veterans Glen Hobbie and Don Elston are around and a bunch of kids led by Fred Norman, Wayne Schurr, and Sterling Slaughter. Kennedy will try to piece together a rotation and those who do not make it will end up in the already weak bullpen.  To support the iffy pitching, there is not much defense. Only Santo really has a good glove though Rodgers and Cowan are acceptable.

All in all, there is some good here in Chicago but losing Hubbs really hurts and it is hard to see how they can improve over last season. 8th place is looking about right.

C- Dick Bertell                                                                    Dick Ellsworth

1b – Ernie Banks                                                               Larry Jackson

2b – Jimmie Stewart (r)                                                 Bob Buhl

Ss – Andre Rodgers                                                         Glenn Hobbie

3b – Ron Santo                                                                  Sterling Slaughter

Lf – Billy Williams                                                              Wayne Schurr

Cf – Billy Cowan                                                                                Don Elston

Rf – Lou Brock                                                                   Lindy McDaniel

Bench – Jimmie Schaeffer (c ), Joey Amalfitano (inf), Ellis Burton (of), Leo Burke (of)

Cincinnati Reds.  Manager – Fred Hutchinson.  1963 Record – 86-76. 5th Place.

The Reds are slowly changing from the team that went to the World Series 3 years ago but perhaps a bit too slowly.   They have added young Pete Rose and last year’s rookie of the year has the look of a keeper at second base. Young Deron Johnson will be playing a lot this year as Fred Hutchinson tries to get his bat into the lineup – either at first base, third base, or left. Rookie Chico Ruiz will get a look at third as veteran Steve Boros starts the season injured.  One outfield position is up for grabs with Mel Queen, Marty Keough, and Tommy Harper vying for the job alongside of Vada Pinson and Frank Robinson.  The infield will feature veteran Gordy Coleman (1b), Rose (2b), veteran Leo Cardenas (ss) and Ruiz/Johnson/Boros at third with Johnson moving to first against lefties or playing in left if none of the above make it.  Catching is in the capable hands of Johnny Edwards.

Pitching is what will make or break you and that is where it is not clear what to expect. The ace is Jim Maloney but after that comes Jim O’Toole, Johnny Tsitouris, veterans Joe Nuxhall and Bob Purkey, and Joey Jay trying to come back from 2 awful seasons.  It is not clear who will get the starts and who may end up in the pen. Two rookies made the squad and both Sammy Ellis and Bill McCool will start in the bullpen but be given some chances to start here and there. That leaves Bill Henry as the only real veteran in the pen.

Cincinnati is a real question mark.  The offense seems solid built around Robinson, the fielding is pretty decent, but the only uncertainty is pitching. If the pitching settles down and the rookies help out, then the Reds are in position to move into any vacancy that might occur in the top tier teams.  But we see them as a 6th place team.

C- Johnny Edwards                                                          Jim Maloney

1b – Gordy Coleman                                                       Jim O’Toole

2b – Pete Rose                                                                  Bob Purkey

Ss – Leo Cardenas                                                            Joe Nuxhall

3b – Deron Johnson                                                        John Tsitouris

Lf – Marty Keough                                                           Joey Jay

Cf – Vada Pinson                                                              Sammy Ellis (r)

Rf – Frank Robinson                                                        Bill McCool (r)

Bill Henry

Bench – Tommy Harper (r) (of), Hal Smith(C), Chico Ruiz (r) (inf), Mel Queen (of), Steve Boros (3b – hurt)

Houston Colt 45’s.  Manager – Harry Craft.  1963 Record. 66-96.  9th Place

Harry Craft returns as manager of the expansion Colt 45’s and though there is no dream of first division yet, Houston under Paul Richards’ guidance is starting to build some young talent.  This season, expect to see rookies Rusty Staub (of/1b), Jimmy Wynn (cf), Jerry Grote (c), and possibly Joe Morgan (2b).  Some veterans pepper the lineup to give the kids some help.  Nellie Fox has been brought in to play second while veteran Eddie Kasko comes in to play short.  Walt Bond (1b) and Bob Aspromonte (3b) complete the infield.  John Bateman will also doing the catching along with Grote.  The outfield is a bit sketchy depending on how often the rookies play. But veteran Al Spangler is still around as is Mike White to help fill out the outfield.  All in all, the offense is not that impressive, however, and unless the kids arrive fast, Houston may have trouble scoring runs.

Another problem lies in the pitching, however, where the same crew that lost 96 games returns with no new additions.  There are some kids on the roster who will get a look and could contribute:  Larry Dierker, Claude Raymond, Danny Coombs, and Dave Giusti.  But of these only Raymond and Giusti are slated to start the season with the team. Likely, the Colts are not going to rise this year but watch out in the future.  This year looks like 9th place again, though.

C – John Bateman                                                            Ken Johnson

1b – Walt Bond                                                                 Bob Bruce

2b – Nellie Fox                                                                  Dick Farrell

Ss – Eddie Kasko                                                               Don Nottebart

3b – Bob Aspromonte                                                    Hal Brown

Lf – Mike White                                                                                Hal Woodeschick

Cf – Al Spangler                                                                 Claude Raymond (r)

Rf – Rusty Staub (r)                                                         Jim Owens

Dave Giusti (r)

Bench – Jimmy Wynn (r) (of), Bob Lillis (inf), Jerry Grote (r) (c), Jim Beauchamp (1b/of)

Los Angeles Dodgers.  Manager – Walt Alston.  1963 Record. 97-65 (1st place)

Everyone is jumping on the Dodger bandwagon and we see no reason not to join them.  The only question marks are third base and Johnny Podres.  The Dodgers swept the Yankees last year but in a key play, Johnny Podres was hit on the hand. Now that injury may be worse than originally thought.  He has barely thrown this spring but will get a try early in the year to evaluate his health. If Podres is out, then the Dodgers’ road to the World Series is much tougher. That would mean that Joe Moeller and Phil Ortega would have to shoulder some of the load.  Between them they started 1 game last year. The original plan was to move Bob Miller to the bullpen to give Ron Perranoski a break since Larry Sherry was sent to Detroit.  So without Podres, the pitching staff is at a loss when Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale aren’t pitching.  But those two are still formidable.

The offense does not feature much power but at Dodger Stadium, you are not going to generate a lot of homeruns anyway. So they score on hitting and speed. Willie Davis and Maury Wills provide the speed though almost everyone can run except big Frank Howard.  Everyone hits just enough to score some runs with Tommy Davis as the NL batting champion 2 years running.   The question mark is third base. Ken McMullen played much of last season but he is being pushed by John Werhas and Dick Tracewski and may lose the job.  Tracewski can also play second since there is concern about Jim Gilliam’s age.  But the Dodgers are flexible since Tommy Davis also played at third last season and Wally Moon covered the outfield.  Normally though, the outfield is set with Willie Davis in center, Howard in right, and Tommy Davis in left.  Catching is in good hands with John Roseboro with backup from Doug Camilli and Jeff Torborg.

Probably the Dodgers will solve the third base problem but the Johnny Podres problem is causing real concern.  We still see the Dodgers winning the pennant but the Giants will be hard on their heels.

C – John Roseboro                                                          Sandy Koufax

1b – Ron Fairly                                                                   Don Drysdale

2b – Jim Gilliam                                                                 Johnny Podres

Ss – Maury Wills                                                               Phil Ortega

3b – John Werhas (r)                                                      Joe Moeller

Lf – Tommy Davis                                                             Ron Perranoski

Cf – Willie Davis                                                                 Bob Miller

Rf – Frank Howard                                                           Jim Brewer

Nick Willhite (r)

Bench – Wes Parker (r) (1b/of), Doug Camilli (c), Dick Tracewski (inf), Ken McMullen(3b), Wally Moon (of), Lee Walls (of).

Milwaukee Braves.  Manager – Bobby Bragan.   1963 Record.  84-78 (6th place).

Bobby Bragan gets his first full season managing and has already said that Denis Menke is going to play - somewhere.  The versatile talent is most likely to be the shortstop as incumbent Roy McMillan’s bat just can’t carry him far.  That leaves the infield pretty stable with power at the corners in Felipe Alou and Eddie Mathews and Menke and veteran Frank Bolling up the middle; and Menke is expected to have some power too.  Add that to an outfield with Hank Aaron in right and Lee Maye in center and this team has the ability to score some runs.  Joe Torre will be the full-time catcher after a successful full season last year and the youngster seems to keep improving. That leaves just left field in question. And here rookie Rico Carty is going to be handed the job until he loses it.  The Braves organization feel he can’t miss, thus accounting for the absence of young Mack Jones who will start the year in the minors after playing some last year.   Put it altogether with first baseman/catcher Gene Oliver and this is a team to reckon with offensively.

But you still have to pitch to win. And here things are not so rosy. Tony Cloninger is ready to take over the lead role from the aging Warren Spahn.  Cloninger has been a swing man for 3 years but most feel he is ready for full time starter status.  Spahn still won 23 games last season so may not be ready to hand over the leadership role just yet.   Denny Lemaster adds another left arm and probably pitched better than his record but after that it is not clear.  Bob Hendley and Bob Shaw started last season but they were sent to the Giants in the Felipe Alou deal. That leaves Hank Fischer as the possible 4th starter though he only started 6 games last year while working mostly out of the pen.  Rookie Bob Sadowski will also get a look and if need be ancient Billy Hoeft might start. Otherwise, Hoeft will join knuckleballer Bob Tiefenauer and Dan Schneider in the pretty weak bullpen.  Lots of uncertainly here not including Spahn’s age.

We see the Braves as possible contenders but only if the pitching comes around and if Carty is the real deal.  More likely, they are a 7th place team.

C – Joe Torre                                                                      Tony Cloninger

1b – Felipe Alou                                                                                Warren Spahn

2b – Frank Bolling                                                             Denny Lemaster

Ss – Denis Menke                                                            Hank Fischer

3b – Eddie Mathews                                                       Bob Sadowski (r)

Lf – Rico Carty (r)                                                              Billy Hoeft

Cf – Lee Maye                                                                   Bob Tiefenauer

Rf – Hank Aaron                                                               Dan Schneider

Bench – Woody Woodward (inf), Ty Cline (of), Gene Oliver (c), Ed Bailey (c), Mike de la Hoz (inf), Len Gabrielson (of), Roy McMillan (inf)

New York Mets.   Manager – Casey Stengal.  1963 Record.  51-111. (Last place)

The Mets are generating a loyal fan base but one wonders how.  Again this will be the last place team – by a mile. The starting positions below are only a suggestion except for Ron Hunt at second and Jim Hickman somewhere in the outfield.  Frank Thomas will probably play somewhere but he could easily be at third or left field.  George Altman is hoping to find his power stroke again.  But most of these players have bounced up and down, none of them obtaining much experience.

The same goes for the pitching, though the top three of Jackson, Fisher, and Stallard might actually be a decent starting 3 on a team that could support them with some offense and defense.  But they will not find that here and so will toil to losing records and likely 20 losses.  After these three, perhaps Galen Cisco is a quality pitcher but there is not much else.

If you want to make a sure bet, bet on the Mets for a last place finish and probably another 100+ losses.

C – Jesse Gonder                                                             Al Jackson

1b – Frank Thomas                                                          Jack Fisher

2b – Ron Hunt                                                                   Tracy Stallard

Ss – Amado  Samuel                                                       Galen Cisco

3b – Rod Kanehl                                                               Bill Wakefield

Lf – George Altman                                                         Larry Bearnath

Cf – Jim Hickman                                                              Ron Locke

Rf – Joe Christopher                                                       Jay Hook

Bench – Chris Cannizzaro  (c), Ed Kranepool  (1b), Dick Smith (1b), Tim Harkness (1b), Hawk Taylor (of/c), Larry Elliott (of).

Philadelphia Phillies.  Manager – Gene Mauch.  1963 Record. 87-75. (4th place).

The Phillies were a 4th place team last year without Jim Bunning.  Over the winter, Philadelphia unloaded Don Demeter and spot starter Ed Rakow to Detroit for Bunning. Though Detroit thought Bunning could be washed up, his numbers were not that bad despite a losing record. If he still has a few miles left in the tank, then the Phillies may have one of the better pitching staffs in the league. Joining Bunning will be Ray Culp and Chris Short, though missing in action will be Cal McLish who led the team in innings last season.  He is out until mid-season with arm issues. Replacing McLish will be lefty Dennis Bennett and Art Mahaffey.  The bullpen features John Klippstein, Jack Baldschun, and Ryne Duren which is not the best in the league but adequate.

So to contend, the Phillies will need some offense.  And that depends mostly on a rookie, Richie Allen.  Allen (3b) is already being touted as likely rookie of the year and is the reason that Demeter could be let go.  Another rookie, John Hernnstein could replace ancient Roy Sievers at first.  Which brings us to Phillies other great strength, versatility.  They have two major league shortstops in Bobby Wine and second year man Ruben Amaro. They have two second basemen in Tony Taylor and rookie Cookie Rojas. They have a rookie outfielder in Danny Cater who can platoon with left-handed hitting Wes Covington. Rojas can play center to spell lefty Tony Gonzalez. Gus Triandos can platoon with Clay Dalrymple at catcher. This is a team with a strong bench and only Johnny Callison and Allen as the two who will likely play every day.

So we see the Phillies possibly moving up.  If the Dodgers falter, they could fight it out with the Giants for first but likely they finish just behind both L.A. and S.F.

C – Clay Dalrymple                                                           Jim Bunning

1b – John Hernnstein                                                     Dennis Bennett

2b – Tony Taylor                                                               Chris Short

Ss – Ruben Amaro                                                           Art Mahaffey

3b – Richie Allen (r)                                                         Ray Culp

Lf – Wes Covington                                                         Jack Baldschun

Cf – Tony Gonzalez                                                         Ryne Duren

Rf – Johnny Callison                                                        John Klippstein

Bench – Gus Triandos (c), Danny Cater (r) (of), Cookie Rojas (r) (ut), Bobby WIne (ss), Roy Sievers (1b), Johnny Briggs (r) (1b/of)

Pittsburgh Pirates.  Manager – Danny Murtaugh.  1963 Record. 91-70 (3rd place).

Pittsburgh is a rare team that is replacing aging veterans but not dropping too much in the standings.  Willie Stargell is projected to play full time this season and so is Bob Bailey.  It is not clear if Stargell will push out Donn Clendenon at first or Jerry Lynch in left but he will play somewhere.  Young Gene Alley will get plenty of playing time at both short and third.  Manny Mota is going to hit somewhere but it could be in left or in center as Bill Virdon’s bat weakens.  Jim Pagiaroni now has the starting catching job with Smokey Burgess pinch hitting and filling in.   So the infield looks like either Stargell or Clendenon at first, Maz at second, Schofield at short, and Bailey at third with Alley filling in. The outfield will be Clemente in right and likely Virdon in center with left a revolving door of Stargell, Lynch, Bailey, and Mota.  Figuring all of this out is Danny Murtaugh’s job.  But overall, they can hit though the power is limited, not only by the players but by Forbes Field itself.

But as with so many other good hitting teams, it will be the pitching that makes or breaks this team. Fireballing Bob Veale leads the staff and is very good.  Bob Friend is in his 11th season and should still be strong. But Don Cardwell has serious arm issues and may not contribute much.  He will get some early looks and if he does not come around, look for rookie Steve Blass to take his place.  The other starter is Joe Gibbon who is left-handed but not more can be said. And that leaves Vern Law.  The veteran retired last year but with the arm troubles of Cardwell, has been talked into playing again.  He may need a few weeks to get into shape, however.  So overall, the starters are okay but cannot carry the team. They need the offense to come through.  The bullpen has Roy Face and Al McBean.  That could be good with McBean slated to get the most work over veteran Face.

This is another team that is hard to place.  Maybe 5th because of the young faces but if they all gel and the same time and the pitching improves, how knows?

C – Jim Pagliaroni                                                             Bob Veale

1b – Willie Stargell                                                           Bob Friend

2b – Bill Mazeroski                                                           Vern Law

Ss – Dick Schofield                                                           Don Cardwell

3b – Bob Bailey                                                                 Steve Blass (r)

Lf – Jerry Lynch                                                                 Joe Gibbon

Cf- Bill Virdon                                                                     Roy Face

Rf – Roberto Clemente                                                 Al McBean

Bench – Donn Clendenon (1b), Gene Alley (r)(inf), Smokey Burgess (c), Manny Mota  (of), Gene Freese (3b), Orlando McFarlane (c).

San Francisco Giants.  Manager – Al Dark.   1963 Record 88-74 (3rd Place).

The Giants traded for pitchers Bob Hendley and Bob Shaw but lost catcher Ed Bailey and right fielder Felipe Alou in the process.  Tom Haller will resume the main catching chores so that is not a problem and he has veteran Del Crandall to back him up.  But replacing Alou in right is a different matter.  So why not replace him with an Alou?  So Jay Alou will be given the best shot at right field with Matty Alou around in case that does not work out. One of them will join Willie Mays and homerun leader Willie McCovey in the outfield – though Harvey Kuenn will see some at bats against lefties.  Still there is some uncertainty here. Likewise in the infield.  Orlando Cepeda is a lock at first base but the other three positions have question marks by them. Chuck Hiller is still the second baseman but his skills are deteriorating with his age. Ditto for Jose Pagan at short. But third has young Jim Hart ready to take over – as long has he hits. His glove will not carry him far.  If he does hit as expected, then the Giants will have the toughest lineup in this league – going through Mays, Cepeda, McCovey, and Hart.  The top of the order could be a bit weak, though.

So can the pitching help the potent offense? That depends a lot on the newcomers Hendley and Shaw. Manager Dark has already said that he wants Shaw in the bullpen leaving Hendley to join Marichal and Sanford as the mainstays. Then it comes down to veterans Billy O’Dell and Billy Pierce or youngsters Gaylord Perry and Bob Bolin. Most likely all 4 will switch back and forth as needed.  Then there is rookie Ron Herbel who will get a look but the pitching mound is already pretty crowded. Sorting out the rotation will be a chore for pitching coach Larry Jansen.

We are not sure about this team either. The pitching is a bit sketchy though the power looks good. Will there be enough base runners when the homeruns fly?  That is the question.  We are not so sure.  Still, this is too good of a team to finish below 4th so we project them 2nd.

C – Tom Haller                                                                   Juan Marichal

1b – Orlando Cepeda                                                     Jack Sanford

2b – Chuck Hiller                                                               Bob Bolin

Ss – Jose Pagan                                                                 Bob Hendley

3b – Jim Hart (r)                                                                                Bob Shaw

Lf – Willie McCovey                                                         Ron Herbel (r)

Cf – Willie Mays                                                                                Billy O’Dell

Rf – Jay Alou (r)                                                                 Billy Pierce

Jim Duffalo

Gaylord Perry

Bench – Matty Alou (of), Del Crandall (c), Jim Davenport (inf), Harvey Kuenn (of), Duke Snider (of/ph).

St. Louis Cardinals.  Manager – Johnny Keane.   1963 Record – 93-69 (2nd place).

The Cardinals closed fast last year, almost catching the Dodgers. So naturally most people are picking the Cardinals to either win it or finish a close second. But we are not so sure. Last year had Stan Musial in left and George Altman in right. Both are gone now. Musial retired and Altman went to the Mets in the deal to get Roger Craig. So other than Curt Flood in center, the outfield is up in the air. Likely Charley James and Carl Warwick will start but Doug Clemons could squeeze in there along with rookie Johnny Lewis.  The infield is set and probably the best in the business with White, Javier, Groat, and Boyer – at least hitting wise.   Tim McCarver will do most of the catching with help from Bob Uecker. But until the outfield is settled, the lineup is unsettled and runs might be harder to come by than last year.

But the pitching is solid with Gibson, Simmons, and Broglio.  Add in acquired Roger Craig and young Ray Sadecki and it could even be good.  The bullpen of Taylor and Shantz gives a R/L combo and veteran Burdette will swing back and forth between the pen and starting.

All in all, this is a pretty solid team but we are just not sold on them yet. They could finish 2nd or they could finish 5th.   This is a team that we will know more about by mid-May.

C – Tim McCarver                                                             Bob Gibson

1b – Bill White                                                                   Curt Simmons

2b – Julian Javier                                                              Ernie Broglio

Ss – Dick Groat                                                                  Ray Sadecki

3b – Ken Boyer                                                                 Roger Craig

Lf – Charley James                                                           Ray Washburn (r)

Cf – Curt Flood                                                                  Ron Taylor

Rf – Carl Warwick                                                             Bobby Shantz

Lew Burdette

Bench – Jerry Buchek (inf), Doug Clemons(of), Johnny Lewis (r)(of), Bob Uecker (c), Goeff Long (of/1b).

The reality is that 2nd through 7th could be thrown into a hat and pulled out and the results might be closer to reality.  There is just a hair’s difference between them and one injury or a surprise improvement could move a team down or up.  But the Dodgers are real solid and so we join the rest of the baseball community in predicting another Dodger-Yankee matchup this fall.

Final Picks:

1. Los Angeles Dodgers

2. San Francisco Giants

3. Philadelphia Phillies

4. St. Louis Cardinals

5. Pittsburgh Pirates

6. Cincinnati Reds

7. Milwaukee Braves

8. Chicago Cubs

9. Houston Colt 45’s

10. New York Mets

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#15 [url]

05/10/16 09:31 AM

Let's try that again. PLAY BALL!

POLO GROUNDS GAZETTE

American League

Monday, April 13th, 1964

D.C. Stadium, Washington, D.C. - President Johnson was on hand to throw out the first pitch for the traditional first game and the 1964 season was underway.  The Angels wasted no time as Albie Pearson took a Claude Osteen curve and drove it into the gap for a standup double.  Following a Billy Moran walk, Jim Fregosi drove home the season’s first run with a single.  But Osteen settled down.  In the second, Jim King hit the first homer of the season, as he drove a Ken McBride pitch over the wall in right for a 2-1 Washington lead.  The score stayed that way until McBride put two men on with one out in the 7th.  Los Angeles manager Bill Rigney called for veteran Art Fowler but he was greeted by a 2-run double from Chuck Hinton.  Moose Skowron followed with a homerun and the Senators had a comfortable 6-1 lead.  Osteen took it from there and finished out the game for a 6-1 win and first place – at least for a day.

LOS ANGELES (A) AT WASHINGTON

Angels.......... 1 0 0  0 0 0  0 0 0  -  1  9  0

Senators........ 0 2 0  0 0 0  4 0    -  6  8  1

Win:Osteen(1-0) Loss:McBride(0-1)

Homeruns- B.Skowron(1st), J.King(1st)

American League Standings

Team          W   L   Pct     GB   L10  Stk

Washington    1   0   1.000   -   1-0  1W

Boston        0   0   0.000   0.5  0-0 

Detroit       0   0   0.000   0.5  0-0 

Chicago       0   0   0.000   0.5  0-0 

Minnesota     0   0   0.000   0.5  0-0 

Cleveland     0   0   0.000   0.5  0-0 

New York      0   0   0.000   0.5  0-0 

Kansas City   0   0   0.000   0.5  0-0 

Baltimore     0   0   0.000   0.5  0-0 

Los Angeles   0   1   0.000   1.0  0-1  1L

INJURY REPORT

TRANSACTIONS. None.

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#16 [url]

05/10/16 09:33 AM

And the NL opener from CIncinnati

POLO GROUNDS GAZETTE

National League

Monday, April 13th, 1964

Crosley Field, Cincinnati - The traditional lidlifter took place at Crosley Field in Cincinnati with Reds ace Jim Maloney going up against Houston’s Ken Johnson.  Both pitchers were sharp with Johnson taking a perfect game into the 4th before Vada Pinson singled.  And it turned out that a costly error and a great throw were the difference.  In the 6th with one out, veteran Eddie Kasko lined a ball to left where Bob Skinner misplayed it into a single and a 1-base error.  Nellie Fox followed with a single to score Kasko for a 1-0 Houston lead.  That lead would have vanished in the 8th inning when with 2 outs, Pete Rose singled to right with Chico Cardenas on second.  Cardenas was waved home but right fielder Rusty Staub made a perfect throw to catch Cardenas and preserve Johnson’s shutout.  And that was the final as Johnson got his shutout and Houston a 1-0 win to open the season.

HOUSTON AT CINCINNATI

Colt 45's....... 0 0 0  0 0 1  0 0 0  -  1  5  0

Reds............ 0 0 0  0 0 0  0 0 0  -  0  6  2

Win:Johnson(1-0) Loss:Maloney(0-1)

National League Standings

Houston       1   0   0.000    -   1-0  1W

New York      0   0   1.000   0.5  0-0 

Chicago       0   0   1.000   0.5  0-0 

Philadelphia  0   0   1.000   0.5  0-0 

Los Angeles   0   0   0.000   0.5  0-0 

Milwaukee     0   0   0.000   0.5  0-0 

St. Louis     0   0   0.000   0.5  0-0 

Pittsburgh    0   0   0.000   0.5  0-0 

San Francisco 0   0   0.000   0.5  0-0 

Cincinnati    0   1   1.000   1.0  0-1  1L

INJURY REPORT.

TRANSACTIONS. None.

Quote    Reply   

67Mantle

hall of famer

#18 [url]

05/11/16 11:49 AM

Great lead-in Gary, as has become your custom. Informative, creative and insightful.

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#19 [url]

05/13/16 06:44 AM

3 more games in the books. 1 rainout

POLO GROUNDS GAZETTE

American League

Tuesday, April 14th, 1964

Comiskey Park, Chicago - Baltimore and Chicago are both thought to be contenders and so even though they are meeting on opening day at Comiskey, it is still an important game.  Milt Pappas started for the Orioles and last season’s rookie of the year Gary Peters started for the White Sox. Brooks Robinson turned out to be the hero as he doubled and scored in the 3rd for Baltimore.  He then tripled in a run and scored in the 5th and added a third hit for the day as Baltimore easily won 4-1.  Pappas held the White Sox scoreless until a Dave Nicholson homerun broke up the shutout.

Tiger Stadium, Detroit - Orlando Pena and the A’s had the Tigers in check with a 2-1 lead going into the bottom of the 9th.  But Norm Cash tripled to lead off for Detroit and the call immediately went to Johnny Wyatt to try to hold the lead.  Al Kaline singled to tie it and was followed by a Don Demeter single. Dick McAuliffe followed with a towering drive into the overhang in right field and the Tigers won 5-2 at Tiger Stadium.   Terry Fox got the win in relief of Phil Regan.

Municipal Stadium, Cleveland - Minnesota jumped all over Jim “Mudcat” Grant in the first inning as Earl Battey homered and the Twins scored 4 runs.  Bernie Allen homered in the 3rd and the Twins were up 7-2 over Cleveland. Camilo Pascual struck out 10 batters and gave up homers to Fred Whitfield, Tito Francona, and Woody Held but still held on for an 8-5 win.

New York and Boston were rained out.

BALTIMORE AT CHICAGO (A)

Orioles......... 0 0 1  0 2 0  1 0 0  -  4  9  0

White Sox....... 0 0 0  0 0 0  1 0 0  -  1  6  0

Win:Pappas(1-0) Loss:Peters(0-1)

Homeruns- D.Nicholson(1st)

KANSAS CITY AT DETROIT

A's............. 0 0 0  0 0 0  2 0 0  -  2  7  2

Tigers.......... 0 0 0  0 1 0  0 0 4  -  5 11  1

Win:Fox(1-0) Loss:Wyatt(0-1)

Homeruns- D.McAuliffe(1st)

MINNESOTA AT CLEVELAND

Twins........... 4 0 3  0 1 0  0 0 0  -  8 14  1

Indians......... 0 2 0  1 0 0  0 0 2  -  5  9  1

Win:Pascual(1-0) Loss:Grant(0-1)

Homeruns- E.Battey(1st), B.Allen(1st), F.Whitfield(1st), T.Francona(1st), W.Held(1st)

American League Standings

Washington    1   0   1.000   -   1-0  1W

Baltimore     1   0   1.000   -   1-0  1W

Minnesota     1   0   1.000   -   1-0  1W

Detroit       1   0   1.000   -   1-0  1W

Boston        0   0   0.000   0.5  0-0 

New York      0   0   0.000   0.5  0-0 

Chicago       0   1   0.000   1.0  0-1  1L

Cleveland     0   1   0.000   1.0  0-1  1L

Kansas City   0   1   0.000   1.0  0-1  1L

Los Angeles   0   1   0.000   1.0  0-1  1L

INJURY REPORT.

TRANSACTIONS. None.

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#20 [url]

05/13/16 06:49 AM

And the NL is in full swing.

POLO GROUNDS GAZETTE

National League

Tuesday, April 14th, 1964

Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles - The Dodgers and Sandy Koufax began right where they left off last season.  Koufax struck out 8, walked one, and shut out the Cardinals on 4 hits. Bob Gibson pitched well for St. Louis but Jim Gilliam tripled in the first and scored on Willie Davis’ single.  Then 3 errors in the 5th led to 3 more Dodger runs and with Koufax on the mound, the game was over.  The final was 4-0 for the defending World Champions.

Forbes Field, Pittsburgh - Bill Mazeroski went 4 for 4 including a homerun and 3 RBI’s to lead Pittsburgh to an 8-3 win in their home opener.  Bill Virdon added three hits and Bob Veale, though not that sharp, went the distance while striking out 9.

Candlestick park, San Francisco - Juan Marichal outpitched Warren Spahn as the Giants downed the Braves 4-1.  Willie McCovey and Harvey Kuenn had three hits each including a homerun for the home team.  Marichal went the distance, as did Spahn who was also burnt by an error.

Connie Mack Stadium, Philadelphia - Dennis Bennett and the Mets’ Al Jackson had a beauty of a pitching duel in Philadelphia.  Jackson ended up the tough loser when Clay Dalrymple tripled home a run with two outs in the 4th for Philly and then scored on an error.  Those two runs were all that the kid would allow but Bennett was able to scatter 7 hits and hold the Mets to just one run in a nice 2-1 win for Bennett and the Phillies.

CHICAGO AT PITTSBURGH

Cubs............ 0 1 0  0 2 0  0 0 0  -  3  9  2

Pirates......... 0 0 0  2 3 0  3 0    -  8 15  2

Win:Veale(1-0) Loss:Jackson(0-1)

Homeruns- B.Mazeroski(1st)

MILWAUKEE AT SAN FRANCISCO

Braves.......... 0 0 0  0 0 1  0 0 0  -  1  8  1

Giants.......... 1 0 0  0 0 1  2 0    -  4 10  1

Win:Marichal(1-0) Loss:Spahn(0-1)

Homeruns- H.Kuenn(1st), W.McCovey(1st)

NEW YORK AT PHILADELPHIA

Mets............ 0 0 0  0 0 0  1 0 0  -  1  7  1

Phillies........ 0 0 0  2 0 0  0 0    -  2  5  1

Win:Bennett(1-0) Loss:Jackson(0-1)

ST. LOUIS AT LOS ANGELES

Cardinals....... 0 0 0  0 0 0  0 0 0  -  0  4  3

Dodgers......... 1 0 0  0 3 0  0 0    -  4  3  0

Win:Koufax(1-0) Loss:Gibson(0-1)

National League Standings

Houston       1   0   1.000   -   1-0  1W

Pittsburgh    1   0   1.000   -   1-0  1W

San Francisco 1   0   1.000   -   1-0  1W

Philadelphia  1   0   1.000   -   1-0  1W

Los Angeles   1   0   1.000   -   1-0  1W

New York      0   1   0.000   1.0  0-1  1L

Chicago       0   1   0.000   1.0  0-1  1L

Milwaukee     0   1   0.000   1.0  0-1  1L

St. Louis     0   1   0.000   1.0  0-1  1L

Cincinnati    0   1   0.000   1.0  0-1  1L

INJURY REPORT

Charlie James, St. Louis – returns April 25th.

TRANSACTIONS. The Giants have announced that they have signed veteran outfielder Duke Snider to a contract.  The Duke may be able to play as soon as tomorrow.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help