Lead

05/30/17 03:10 PM

Tags : :

I just had three very weird occurences in back-to-back games of a best-of-3, 67-team tournament I am playing with teams from 1998, 2011, and 2016.

First occured in a first round series-clinching 10-6 win by the 2016 Tigers against the 2016 Yankees. Cameron Maybin of Detroit went 6-for-6 in a nine-inning game, which is a rarity in and of itself. However, Maybin made his six hits in an unusual way - with 4 singles and 2 triples. Only five MLBers have ever had multiple triples in a six-hit game, and only one - Willie Harris of the Braves in 2007 - matched Maybin's line exactly.

The really odd pair of feats occured in the very next game, featuring the 2011 White Sox and 2016 Nationals. The Nationals' seemingly ordinary 4-3 win was extremely deceptive. First, Anthony Rendon of Washington smashed four doubles, tying the 9-inning record (he would also be the first Senator or National to accomplish the feat).

Secondly was Max Scherzer. The game unfolded poorly for Scherzer as he walked Juan Pierre, who promptly stole second before Alexei Ramirez struck out. Carlos Quentin then doubled in Pierre, and Paul Konerko cranked a 2-run homer to stake the Pale Hose to a 3-0 lead.

Scherzer's in trouble, right? Not so. He went on to retire the next 26 batters in order, in a way the closest I have come to a perfect game. In 2015, Scherzer lost a perfecto when he hit Jose Tabata with two outs in the ninth (or, to hear Washingtonians tell it, Tabata leaned in). He really can't win.