Remove this ad

delsea2

hall of famer

Lead

03/29/09 10:23 AM

Tags : :

Hi Guys,

Well here is this weeks you make the call # 3 play.

J. Reyes is on 1st base and he has a pretty good lead, as Phillies J. Blanton throws the pitch he takes off for 2nd base. As the catcher makes the throw in attempt to gun him down the ball bounces in the dirt and as it comes up it goes directly into Reyes uniform jersey shirt. The 2nd baseman Utley claims that he interfered with his attempt to field the ball. How would you rule on this play as the umpire?
I will post the answer on Wednesday good luck.

J.Q. GO 2017 RED SOX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

delsea2

hall of famer

#1 [url]

04/01/09 09:31 AM

Hi Guys,
You Make the Call # 3.

Well on this play the umpire would rule that Reyes did not interfere on this play. The ball would be called dead and Reyes would remain on 2nd base. It was not intentional by Reyes so he gets his stolen base and Utley's claim of interference goes by the way side. I will post play # 4 of You make the call on Sunday. I hope you are enjoying a little taste of life as an umpire. Have a good week and study your rule book.

Quote    Reply   

delsea2

hall of famer

#2 [url]

04/02/09 11:59 AM

Hi Guys,

I would just like to let you know where I get most of my "you make the call" plays. If you go to Jim Evans Academy of Professional Umpiring site and look under publications for Jim Evans Diamond Challenge. It has alot of info regarding plays that have occurred on the diamond that will have you shaking your head. As a former minor league umpire I can assure you that just when you think you've seen it all something else will come along and you'll say well maybe not. Have a good week and I'll be posting play # 4 on Sunday.

Quote    Reply   

seajaw

hall of famer

#3 [url]

04/02/09 12:46 PM

That's great info.

These You Make the Call puzzlers remind me of Baseball Digest, and their So You Think You Know Baseball feature.  Great stuff.

I wish I could find a 1900-1920-era rule book, for my Deadball replays.  Or, something that takes all the rules in the game and creates a "family tree," showing how those rules evolved over the years.

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's fifty-plus and gray... Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."

Quote    Reply   

delsea2

hall of famer

#4 [url]

04/05/09 09:38 AM

Hi Guys,

Well here is play # 4 of You Make The Call.

The Yankees have the bases loaded with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th inning, scored tied 2-2 against the Red Sox. Jeter on a 3-2 count gets a fast ball on the outside corner and hits a long drive to right field as everyone in Yankee stadium rises to their feet the ball is gone for a walkoff grandslam homerun. As Jeter rounds first Big Popi notices that he missed first base. As all the Yankee players are at home plate jumping up and down thinking that they just won the game. Ortiz turns to the first base umpire makes the appeal that Jeter missed touching the bag. You as the umpire have to make the call what would it be and how would you go about handling this play. Good luck with this one I will post the answer on Wednesday have a good one everyone.

Quote    Reply   

seajaw

hall of famer

#5 [url]

04/05/09 12:32 PM

Shades of Fred Merkle!

I'd rule one run scores, Yanks win, 3-2.

My reasoning (somewhat weirdly): An over-the-fence homer is a homer, so the hit was registered in a situation where no force play is possible.

Normally all runs would count on a walkoff homer, but since he did not complete a legitimate circuit, the home run itself cannot be entered in the books.

Thus, one run scores.

However...

Covering all my bases (something Jeter didn't do, evidently), it might be possible that the umpire could call him out for not touching the bag.  No runs, third out, game continues, fans and teammates honked-off.

The trouble with that call is that there is no ball to make the force play, although I guess they could rule him out for going out of the baseline (second, third and home being nowhere on the path to reaching first properly).

If I'm not mistaken, in order to make the play, they will have to get back to their positions, get a new ball from the home plate umpire, and go through the motions of an official appeal prior to the next pitch.

So, just try to get the home plate umpire to call for the next hitter, and risk the wrath of a rush-the-field angry Bronx mob.  I'm guessing that, even if the winning run would have scored and there is no next hitter, it has to be done.  You can't get the out without a/the ball.

If the next batter will not take his position in the box, the umpire can resume play anyway, calling every subsequent pitch a strike, if I recall (while dodging batteries, coins, bottles, whatever).

Possibly better to just tell Papi, "Toto, I don't think you're in Boston anymore..."

"No cell, no car, no credit cards, he's fifty-plus and gray... Just sitting in his basement, with a Strat game underway."

Quote    Reply   

delsea2

hall of famer

#6 [url]

04/08/09 11:38 AM

The answer to play # 4 of You Make The Call.

When Jeter rounded first base and missed it the force play remained in tack so when Ortiz appeals to the first base umpire for his appeal the following must happen in order for the appeal to take place. Since the ball had left the field of play the plate umpire must put a ball back in play. So the pitcher must get a new baseball step on the rubber and the plate umpire will then place the ball in play. There does not have to be a batter in the box in this situation. Once the ball is placed in play the pitcher must step backwards off the rubber and he can either throw the ball over to the first baseman or go over to the base himself and tag the base as he makes the appeal. If the first base umpire rules that Jeter had missed the base the out is recorded and since the force play is still in affect the 3rd out would be a force out and NO runs score and the game would continue on. Keep in mind that on any appeal play the ball must be alive and the appeal must be made before the next pitch or attempted play. If you are appealing that a runner missed the base and more then one runner had rounded the base example 2nd,3rd, or home plate you must tell the umpire which runner you are appealing missed the base. If however the ball does not become a dead ball then the pitcher is not required to get on the rubber and step off the back in order to make your appeal. All you have to due is inform the umpire what you want to do and the appeal can be made from any infielder. The rule says that if all the fielders leave fair ground that you can't appeal. However the catchers position is in foul ground so as long as he has not left his position the appeal can still be made even if the other fielders have left fair ground. If on your appeal you throw the ball away into dead ball area you lose the right to the appeal. Also if runners are on base during an appeal attempt they can advance at their own risk, because it is a live ball and if you attempt to make a play on them instead of making the appeal you lose your right to come back and make the appeal.  I hope this shed some light on this play and how it would be handled by the umpire. On Sunday I will post play # 5 of You Make The Call. Have a good week and a happy Easter to all.

Quote    Reply   

seajaw

hall of famer

#7 [url]

04/08/09 01:13 PM

Hey!  My (back-up) call was actually sorta right!

Always have a back-up plan.

My answer had basically been centered around whether you could get an appeal on the homer, since the standard force play possibility had been removed.

I am happy to see the appeal play works in this situation.

However, talk about puttin' the suicide squeeze on the Yankees.  I'd probably have to call on the National Guard to get out alive, if I made that call!

My original call -- one run, game over - would be the "safety squeeze."  The Red Sox can always file an official protest with the Commisioner's Office.  Let Selig honk off Hal.

If the Sox win their challenge, the game gets re-played from the moment of the appeal anyway.  I get off, in that I'm no longer the focal point for making the game continue.  It's no longer my fault.  I don't need to call out the Guard.

I'm guessing you would do it gleefully, though, if you had the chance. :D

Quote    Reply   

delsea2

hall of famer

#8 [url]

04/11/09 10:49 PM

Play 5 of You Make The Call.

Chipper Jones singles to right field and rounds the base but he pulls up and returns to first. Chase Utley the Phillies 2nd baseman gets the cutoff throw and walks the ball into the pitcher Jamie Moyer. He then returns to his position Moyer now gets on the rubber to get his sign from the catcher. Jones now takes a lead off of firstbase. As he is looking at Moyer who is on the rubber, Utley throws the ball over to Howard who tags Jones. They pulled the old hidden ball trick and Jones fell for it. However Bobby Cox comes running out of the dugout yelling & claims that Jones should not be awarded 2nd base. You are the umpire how would you rule on this play?

A Happy Easter Bonus play:

David Wright is at bat with a full count on him and the bases are loaded with 2 outs. Before Brandon Webb toes the rubber Wright switches from the right handers batters box to the left handers batters box. The manager of the D-Backs ask for time and comes storming out of the dugout and claims that Wright should be called out for switching over to the lefthanded batters box. Does he have a valid beef? You are the umpire how would you rule on this little jem?

Good luck with these 2 plays I will post the answers to them on Wednesday, Happy Easter to you & yours.

Quote    Reply   

cards641

every day player

#9 [url]

04/12/09 10:51 AM

First one I am pretty sure is a Balk, and the runner is awarded second base, as the pitcher can not toe the rubber without the ball in his possesion.  The second one I believe should be ruled in favor of Wright, As long as the pitcher hasn't toed the rubber their is no reason a player can't go over to the other batter's box. I hope Wright has practiced hitting as a lefty or is he just trying to upset the opposing manager? 

Quote    Reply   

seajaw

hall of famer

#10 [url]

04/12/09 12:16 PM

I'm pretty sure the pitcher has to step off the rubber to pull the hidden ball trick.  I agree with cards641.

I also agree on the second one.  It definitely goes to the batter, as the offense always gets the last choice in a righty-lefty switch.

Once the play/pitch is set in motion, however, Wright has to request time.  Then, it's up to the umpire to grant it.

How about the same play, but the pitcher is into his motion.  Pitch hits Wright while he is crossing from one side to the other, as a runner on first breaks for second.

HBP?  Ball-strike?  Interference?  Runner?

What if the runner sees the calamity at the plate and tries for third?  In the heat of the moment, the catcher picks up the ball and throws to third.  But his throw is wide and goes into left field, while the runner trots home.

Happy Easter.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

delsea2

hall of famer

#11 [url]

04/15/09 11:38 AM

The answer to You make the Call # 5 & the bonus question.

In this play the pitcher is not allowed on the 18ft mound area without the ball let alone being in contact with the rubber or straddling the rubber. So Jones would be awarded 2nd base and the pitcher would be credit with a balk.

The bonus question answer: Wright is permitted to switch over to the other batters box. However if he attempted to do so when the pitcher is in the action of pitching the ball. Then the umpire would call time and call Wright out for interference. I hope you enjoyed this weeks you make the call I will post a new question to test your knowledge of the rules this coming Sunday have a good rest of the week everyone.

Quote    Reply   

seajaw

hall of famer

#12 [url]

04/15/09 11:46 AM

Hm-m-m.  The whole mound area, huh?

There was a great piece about Kansas City coach Rusty Kuntz in the paper last year, about how he quizzes Royals' players on game situations, knowing the exact rules, and such.

I would not be surprised to find that there is a huge collective unfamiliarity with certain rules, on the part of the players who need to be able to follow them.

Quote    Reply   

delsea2

hall of famer

#13 [url]

04/15/09 12:40 PM

seajaw,

You would amazed of how many players,managers, coaches, & announcers that do not know the rules of the game. As a former umpire it was surprising to see & hear some of the comments from this group that I have mentioned. As umpires we know that most fans are not going to know the rules and you live with that. But when people who play the game or manage it at the higher levels are unaware of most of the basic rules then you know that the ones that are a little tougher are really going to confuse them. The one section of the rule book that gives alot of people the most of the problems is section 7 running the bases. More strange things happen on the field with this simple task of making left turns every 90 feet it would make you shake your head.

Quote    Reply   

delsea2

hall of famer

#14 [url]

04/19/09 06:22 PM

Hi Guys,

Here is You make the call # 6.

It's the bottom of the 1st inning and the Pirates have a runner on 1st & 2nd with Roberto Clemente at the plate. He smashes a hot ground ball towards short however the ball strikes the first runner from second base in the leg and the ball ricochets and strikes the runner advancing from first base is this a double play?

Quote    Reply   

seajaw

hall of famer

#15 [url]

04/19/09 09:43 PM

No.  The ball is dead from the moment it hits the first runner.

The runner on first is awarded second, while the batter gets first base...and is credited with a base hit.

Quote    Reply   

delsea2

hall of famer

#16 [url]

04/22/09 11:42 AM

Hi Guys,

Here is the answer to You make the call # 6.

Seajaw, you were right on with your call, the 1st runner who was coming from 2nd is called out and the ball is dead instantly and the runner who was also struck coming from 1st base is awarded 2nd and the Clemente is awarded 1st base. Good call, I'll post play # 7 of "You make the call" on Sunday have a good week everyone.

Quote    Reply   

delsea2

hall of famer

#17 [url]

04/26/09 12:55 PM

Hi Guys,

Here is # 7 play of "You Make The Call".

Henry Aaron is on first base for the Braves with one out, the count is 2-1 on Joe Adcock. Koufax balks as he delivers a wild pitch that eludes Roseboro the catcher. As Roseboro retrieves the wild pitch he turns and throws it to 3rd base and retires Aaron who was trying for third base on the wild pitch. The question is does the out stand since there was a balk and what would the count now be on the batter? I will post the answer on Wednesday good luck with this one.

Quote    Reply   

delsea2

hall of famer

#19 [url]

04/29/09 11:46 AM

Hi Guys,

Here is the answer to You Make The Call Play # 7:

Aaron advanced beyond 2nd at his own risk... he is out. It is a delayed dead ball situation. The count on Adcock remains 2-1 as the pitch is nullified. When there is a balk called on the pitcher the count does not change on the batter even if the pitch is delivered. Many people think that it does but it does not. However if a balk is called and the pitcher delivers the pitch and the batter hits the ball then the offensive team has the right to have the balk enforced or they can take the result of the play instead. Example: Theres a runner on 2nd and the batter hits the pitch that was called a balk and that runner comes around to score. Then the offensive manager would take the play and decline the balk call. If the batter would have made an out then they would ask that the balk be enforced. I hope that this play sheds some light on the balk rule. Rule 8.05 Balks.

Quote    Reply   

seajaw

hall of famer

#20 [url]

04/29/09 12:34 PM

Wow.  Good thing I balked at trying to answer. :D

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help