Tags : :

Well

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

farm hand

#2 [url]

01/28/11 02:51 PM

You, and my love for the Yankees.  How ironic is that, Don? 

Ha!

The Al Ferrara card was my favorite Dodger card, him and Jim Lefebvre, and of course Ron Fairly, even though he had a terrible year.

Bill Singer had a wicked good pitching card, I loved it.

The Dodgers and Phillies and Cubs were my favorite NL teams.  I liked the Pirates too.  But boy did I hate the Mets.  Everyone was Tom Seaver crazy, which makes sense when you think about it, but they were on the rise and the Yankees were just horrible, and I resented the hell out of them.

"You're either on the bus, or off the bus." - Ken Kesey, THE ELECTRIC KOOL-AID ACID TEST

Quote    Reply   

clutch

#3 [url]

01/29/11 10:32 PM

Alright Mantle! Lets get it on! It's great to see all your childhood heros get out there and "do it up". You having them so long and them getting redy to do battle dreams up images of pulling up stirrups...oilin' mitts...lacing up the cleets...a little long toss...can't wait Mike!

and thanks for painting the images of the new tv's comin out back in the day!

Quote    Reply   

farm hand

#4 [url]

01/29/11 11:20 PM

The fonts get all crazy, and I'm too lazy to dress it up, but you can get the drift.

"You're either on the bus, or off the bus." - Ken Kesey, THE ELECTRIC KOOL-AID ACID TEST

Quote    Reply   

clutch

#5 [url]

01/29/11 11:36 PM

Looks good McLaughlin! Good luck this year. Are you a rook? Cudos for being so modest. I created a card for myself one time...not as modest as I powered to a .480ish something in all-star play. My buds card hit over .500 though. That was a blast as I recall. We already had the 84's split into 2 teams. Each of us took the best result from each player already on our team. Best 1-2 out of all of them. Then the best 1-3 and on down the line.

Was that one of Shubas best years?

Quote    Reply   

bowty2

every day player

#6 [url]

01/30/11 10:33 AM

You should enjoy 1967.A great pennant race in both leagues. I did a 40 game schedule years ago.  The White Sox won it all. It should be about 3 more years before I get to it on my computer replay.

Quote    Reply   

lencandraw

superstar

#7 [url]

01/30/11 03:31 PM

That's pretty cool.  If I did something similar, I'd be playing shortstop for the Yankees in 1978, or for the Diamondbacks in 2001.  This looks like fun, Mike!

Quote    Reply   

jqbrfan

#9 [url]

01/30/11 04:29 PM

9royhobbsrf

Not a bad card, however why the drop off from a 1 to 3 when you move from 2nd to shortstop?  I think the coach would be better putting you in as the catcher then shortstop to much  of a drop off in defence. Looks as if you have a good eye at the plate with that many BB's compared to K's. With that OB percentage you must either hit 1st or 2nd in the line up, along with some speed it's a deadly combo. And if you roll row number 3 you are on your way down the base path thats for sure. If you have an advance side of the card I think being a left hander would give you a good chance of being a pitchers nightmare. It's like that little nat that won't fly away, everytime you swat at it, it just turns around and keeps coming back to bother you. Nice !!

Click here to view the attachment

Go 2013 Red Sox !!

Quote    Reply   

don parnell2000

#10 [url]

01/31/11 02:10 PM

I am really looking forward to this replay.  1967 American league was one of the best pennant races in history.

Color it Blue! Orange is the color of puke.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

gwloar

hall of famer

#11 [url]

01/31/11 02:43 PM

Let's play ball!  I'm pulling for the White Sox (as I did in real life back in 1967 - once I was sure the Yankees were out of it.  Yeah - back then I was a Yankee fan but, heh, growing up in Toledo, the Yankees farm club, many of us were Yankee fans).  I was a Giants fan back then (Sorry Don) so since we are re-living our youth, I may as well root for the Giants again.

"Do you really think trading Colavito for Kuenn is a good idea?"

Quote    Reply   

farm hand

#13 [url]

01/31/11 02:53 PM

My previous attempt at this that I ditched last year saw the Dodgers play way over their heads, and they were leading the NL when I hung it up at the 37 game mark.  The starters came through in a big way, and that lineup was scratching and clawing runs when it counted, from day one.  They were always a favorite of mine, along with the Phillies and Cubs.

I'd love to see Philadelphia make some noise, that rotation of theirs is pretty darned good, with a great bullpen, too.  But that would be asking too much!

In the AL Boston, Minnesota, Chicago, or Detroit is all the same to me.  I want to see if I can move the Yankkes from 9th to maybe 7th.  Regardless, it will be the most stratomatic fun I've ever had to this point.  I don't know what kept me from combining the sets prior to this.  Now that I look at it, it was a no-brainer.

Duh on me!

Quote    Reply   

bleacherbum

platoon player

#14 [url]

01/31/11 04:01 PM

I don't care who wins the league but I'll be pulling for Milt Pappas in the NL Cy Young award race. "Out of the shoe-box....into the line-up"

Roll On!

Quote    Reply   

farm hand

#15 [url]

01/31/11 04:22 PM

There you go.  It will be his first game for me, after 41 or so years.  That's quite a wait.

Quote    Reply   

farm hand

#16 [url]

02/01/11 09:35 PM

Well, guys, games are underway.

In other league news: The New York Yankees announced today that aspiring 3B Prospect Mike McLaughlin was unconditionally released when the team discovered he was actually 55 years old.

Mr. McLaughlin was given a position by the Commisioner's Office, however, as on-line commentator.

Translation: I want to be 12 years old again, and that can't happen if I'm playing.  It's 1967, I'm just a kid, now if it was 1977..........ha!  I wouldn't be playing then either, I'd be too distracted chasing German girls.....now if it was......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

See you guys at the park.

Quote    Reply   

farm hand

#17 [url]

02/02/11 10:45 AM

OPENING DAY: APRIL 10TH, 1967

There are two games on the docket for opening day, one in each league.  The National League game is the traditional Cincinnati home opener, where the Dodgers have the honors, while in the AL the Yankees (fittingly enough for me) travel to Washington to face the Senators.  In a tribute to the real season I decided to use the same starting pitchers for both games.  From this point onward any match up of actual game day starting pitchers will be purely coincidental.  Rosters have been adjusted to where they were on 4/10/67, as closely as possible, and we're ready to roll.

Here we go, let's play some baseball.

Game 1: Cincinnati comes out swinging as season kicks off 

Los Angeles at Cincinnati.  Bob Miller(0-0) versus Jim Maloney (0-0).  Bob Miller got the nod for the Dodgers, in a surprising choice by Walter Alston, matched up against the Reds' veteran fastballer.  The Dodgers Jim Lefebvre scored the season's first run in the second inning after he doubled to right leading off, and John Roseboro followed it up with an rbi single.  Tony Perez tied the game in the third with a smash into the leftfield bleachers, the season's first homerun.  In the top of the fifth the Dodgers took advantage of a flurry of walks by Maloney, who loaded the bases, and Wes Parker banged a sharp single to left for an rbi, and a 2-1 lead.  The Reds were rescued when Willie Davis into a double play with the bases loaded, killing the threat.  In the bottom of the inning Miller threw the game away.  With two down and a man on first he mishandled an easy one-hopper for a 1-base error.  A single by Helms loaded the bases and Vada Pinson's 2 run single put the Reds up 3-2.  Tony Perez singled for another run as the bullpen hurridly warmed up Phil Regan, but before Walter Alston could manage to get Regan into the game Deron Johnson blasted a 3 run homer to run the score to 7-2, and put the game out of reach.  The Dodgers managed another run in the sixth on another rbi single from Roseboro, but a DP killed that rally as well, and Maloney cruised to the win.  Final score 7-3.  Tony Perez carded a 4-2-3-2 (HR, 2B) for the Reds.

WP-Maloney (1-0, CG)
LP- Miller (0-1)

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#18 [url]

02/02/11 11:02 AM

An dthe season is underway.  Too bad about McLaughlin's release.  Who plays thrid now for the Yanks?

"Do you really think trading Colavito for Kuenn is a good idea?"

Quote    Reply   

farm hand

#19 [url]

02/02/11 11:10 AM

Hey Gary, it is too bad, but I just couldn't do it.  I decided not to, then changed my mind, somewhat.  I was talking with my wife, and she said "you've gone to all this trouble to make it as real as possible, and I think you owe it to yourself to keep it real."  That struck home.

What a girl!

To answer your question, Charley (ugh) Smith, no bat, .224 9 hrs, and an e33 at the corner.

Quote    Reply   

farm hand

#20 [url]

02/02/11 11:55 PM

April 10, 1967: Game Two

New York Yankees drop opener to Washington Senators

The Yankees traveled to Washington with a revamped infield, and only one carry over in the outfield, leftfielder Tom Tresh, remaining from last years last place team.  Mel Stottlemyre received the opening day honors on the mound, while the hometown Senators handed the ball to hard throwing southpaw Pete Richert.  The home team picked up a run in the first on an rbi single off the bat of first-sacker Dick Nen.  Richert handled the Yankees easily through four, and in the bottom of the fourth the Senators capitalized when an error by Amaro opened the door for a five run deluge as Ken McMullen sent Stottlemyre to an early shower with a two out bases loaded single.  Veteran Hal Reniff came in and wiffed Frank Howard for the third out.  Reniff's success was short lived though, as Charley Smith and Mickey Mantle coughed up consecutive grounders in the fifth, leading to two more runs for the Senators.  Thad Tillostson succeeded Reniff, and, after Smith booted McMullen's double-play grounder for his second error of the day, Tillotson served up a three-run homer to cleanup hitter Howard.  Amaro followed Smith's example, botching a potential double-play grounder for his second error, and Eddie Brinkman clocked a Tillotson fastball for a ringing double, scoring Paul Casanova.  Richert tired in the eighth, and the Yankees picked up two runs before reliever Darold Knowles retired the side.  Knowles mowed the pinstripers down in the ninth and the Senators walked away with a 12-2 win, scoring eight unearned runs due to the five Yankee errors.  Light-hitting ss Ed Brinkman posted a 4-1-2-2 (2B).

WP-Richert (1-0)
LP- Stottlemyre (0-1) 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help