Remove this ad

gwloar

hall of famer

Lead

04/17/12 04:02 PM

Tags : :

Okay guys, I have been playing 1948 for about two years now and religiously recording writeups, stats, etc. in anticipation of posting it here.  It will be coming in the next posting.  First some ground rules from 2012. 

First - all of my postings are written as if written in 1948.  I assume that I do not know what is coming, who will be good, or what will happen next.  If I "step out of context", I will let you know first.

Second - I m managing the same way.  I do know what happened in previous years.  I DO NOT know what is going to happen in 1948.  I pretend that I have not even seen the cards.  I manage based on performance on the field and past performance.  Rookies have to prove they belong (and I'm talking to you, Gene Bearden).  Veterans will get more slack if they slump.

Third - this started out as C&D for about 2 years.  Then Christmas of 2011, I got the computer version and made the switch.  It took 24 months to get to early June.  It has taken less than 4 months to reach August!  Quite a difference and you really can manage without looking at the cards.

Fourth - I have posted this over at Somers for about a year.  If you have followed over there, thanks.  Very little has changed when I post here.  I plan to post twice as fast here as there so that by the time the pennant race is in full swing, both sites will be at an equal point in the season.  So, no cheating and looking ahead if you are following it here!!

Finally, my format will be familiar to those who followed my all time AL league.  I post on a "dayley" basis.  Each posting is one day for a league.  I try to include the standings in every post to make the pennant race easier to follow.  I post league leaders at the end of each "week" - except for week one.   My aim is two posts per day until late in the season.

I hope you all enjoy 1948. It was a great year for pennant races in both leagues and an unusually strong rookie crop. (Richie Ashburn, Curt Simmons, Robin Roberts, Duke Snider, Roy Campanella, Al Dark, Carl Erskine, Hank Sauer, Ted Kluszewski, Billy Goodman, Gene Bearden, Larry Doby, Lou Brissie, Mel Parnell, to name a few).  Musial had his best season.  Williams and DiMaggio were both playing at the top of their games.  Feller, Newhouser, Spahn and Sain - were all pitching.  (And since I am about at August in playing, I can gurantee a good pennant race in each league).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

thekline

hall of famer

#1 [url]

04/17/12 04:44 PM

Looking forward to it. Another season I have been sitting on, waiting to play down the road. I'll really be interested to see how this plays out.

Rolling the dice since 1968.

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#2 [url]

04/17/12 06:22 PM

This is a preview of the National League.  It is long but gives everybody a chance to know some of these teams from 64 years ago:

Well, Opening Day is just around the corner.  With two days before the teams get underway, it’s time for the Polo Ground Gazette annual preview and forecast.  Today, we will review the National League as they prepare to do battle in this 1948 season.  Tomorrow,  the American League.

CHICAGO CUBS – Manager Charlie Grimm

Pitching – The pitching staff is being completely overhauled this season except for ace Johnny Schmitz.  Three rookies may appear in the rotation (Dutch McCall, Bob Rush, and Lefty Chambers) while Russ Meyer will be starting for the first time in his short career.  With this many rookies, one never knows what will result but the odds are not good for the Chicago Northsiders.  The bull pen has veteran Emil Kush and Jess Dobernic has been slated to help in the pen.  The pitching overview is not a good one, however.

Regular Lineup – This team continues to decline from its glory year of 1945.  Only new comer Andy Pafko looks like a rising star but the rest of the regulars look like tired veterans.  Phil Cavaretta, Peanuts Lowry, Dick Culler, Bob Scheffing, and Bill Nicholson have all seen better days.  The Cubs are at least injecting some young blood.  Along with Pafko, rookie Hal Jeffcoat will patrol center field, moving Pafko to third.  Another rookie, Roy Smalley will try his hand at short, and Eddie Waitkus at first is still young.  This core of youngsters will have to step up mightily for Chicago to not slide deeper into the second division this season.

Overview – Much like their rivals on the south side, this Chicago team is either too old or too young to make much of a move.  The lineup at the end of the season could be completely different than on opening day.  This team has the look of a last place team.

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES – Manager Ben Chapman

Pitching – Led by ageless knuckleballer, Dutch Leonard, the Phillies staff is a curious mix of vets and rookies.  Beside Leonard, they have 38 year old Schoolboy Rowe and 34 year old Blix Donnelly.  But they also add 20 year old Charlie Bicknell and highly touted 19-year-old rookie Curt Simmons to the mix.  If Simmons can’t make it, lefty Ken Heintzelman is still around to help.  Another highly touted rookie is Robin Roberts but he is slated to start the season in the minors and see how he progresses.  Overall, this pitching staff could surprise a few people and lift this team out of 7th place.

Regular Lineup – Rookies, rookies, and more rookies.  That’s the story here in Philadelphia this year.  Top of the list is highly touted Richie Ashburn.  Richie will start the season in left but is expected to push veteran Harry (the Hat) Walker out of center field before too long.  Rookie Johnny Blatnik adds some power and could end up in left.  That leaves Walker as the odd man out since he is not going to replace 23 year old Del Ennis in right; who adds even more power to this outfield.  In the infield, rookies Putsy Caballero and Granville (Granny) Hamner will find places to play eventually; pushing veterans Emil Verban (2b) and Eddie Miller (ss – coming over from Cincinnati).  At first, Dick Sisler came over from St. Louis to add some stability and young Andy Seminick continues to impress at catcher.

Overview - Much like Pittsburgh, this team of young talent may surprise people and move up.  But with so many rookies, it may take a while to find themselves.  Bets are that this team is a few years away yet.  They are projected at 7th place but could easily move up from there.

PITTSBURGH PIRATES – Manager Billy Meyer

Pitching – The Pirates are relying on veterans to carry this pitching staff this year.  Maybe they have been reading the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner?  Led by 41 year old Rip Sewell, they add 40 year old Fritz Ostermueller, Elmer Riddle (34), Tiny Bonham (34), and Kirby Higbe (33).  Only rookie Bob Chesnes is under 30 and looks like he may get a shot at a starting position if one of the vets falters.  This staff has experience but brings nothing new to the table.  Don’t count on the pitching to carry this team out of last place.

Regular Lineup – New manager Meyer is excited about one thing, though.  If anything can carry this last place team to the first division it is their young lineup.  Young Ralph Kiner came out of nowhere last year to hit 51 homeruns and leads this lineup of mostly youngsters.  Rookies Danny Murtaugh and Marty Basgall will take over second base while rookie Stan Rojak was brought over from the Dodgers to replace departed shortstop Billy Cox.  Young Ed Stevens replaces Hank Greenberg at first and rookie Ed Fitzgerald will try his hand catching.  Veteran Frankie Gustine returns at third. The Pirates did add a couple of veterans to help out the youngsters; getting Dixie Walker from Brooklyn and Johnny Hopp from Boston to help in the outfield.  They join young Wally Westlake and Kiner to form a solid outfield. 

Overview – This was a last place team in 1947.  There are a lot of youngsters here; probably not enough to overcome their pitching but the Pirates could move up a notch this season.  There is hope in Pittsburgh.  Early picks say 6th place but, like the Phillies and Cincy, they could easily move up.

CINCINNATI REDS – Manager Johnny Neun

Pitching – The rotation of Ewell Blackwell, Johnny Vander Meer, Kent Peterson, and Ken Raffensburger give some hope for the Redlegs this season.  Unfortunately, the former great, Bucky Walters, looks like he may be ready to retire.  If he cannot return, Howie Fox is waiting in the wings.  With reliable bull pen ace, Harry Gumbert, the overall expectation for the Reds’ pitching is high.

Regular Lineup – Unlike the Cubs, the Reds are going all out with young players this year.  Two powerfully built youngsters will get to start this year with Hank Sauer in left and rookie Ted Kluszewski at first.  Johnny Wyrostek comes over from Philly to play center while another rookie, Virgil Stallcup, will replace the traded Eddie Miller at short.  Regulars Grady Hatten, Frankie Baumholz, and Ray Lammanno also return at third, right, and catcher.

Overview – This team could surprise a few people and move up to the first division.  They are probably too young to contend but the fans in Cincinnati should have something to build their hopes on for the future.  It is tough to separate Cincy, Philly, and Pittsburgh.  We have them at 5th but these teams could easily shuffle around…or surprise people and enter the first division.

BROOKLYN DODGERS – Manager Leo Durocher

Pitching – The Dodgers management has opted for a youth movement this season.  Only Ralph Branca and Joe Hatten remain from last year’s pennant winners on the starting staff.  Preacher Roe comes over from Pittsburgh and rookie Rex Barney will be starting on opening day.  In the minors, young Carl Erskine has looked good and could get a mid-season call-up.  The only old pitcher on this team is the relief ace, Hugh Casey.  Casey again turned in a great season in 1947 but is now 34 years old.  One would think that his days on this team may also be numbered as young players come on board.  This is not a good pitching staff with all of the question marks but it is solid.

Regular Lineup – Surprisingly for a returning NL champion, only 2 players will be in the same position as last year’s champs; Pee Wee Reese at short and Carl Furillo in center.  The big experiment is moving Jackie Robinson to his natural position at second but that necessitated selling Eddie Stanky to Boston.  Can Robinson assume Stanky’s role as leadoff hitter and spark plug?  To fill in at Robinson’s old position at first, young Preston Ward is being given a shot.  He is jumping all the way from class A minors to the majors and is another big question mark.  At third, Billy Cox comes over from Pittsburgh where he was the regular shortstop.  Can he now make the move to third?   In the outfield, leftfield is an open position with veteran Pete Reiser handling most of the duty last year but new players Marv Rackley, Dick Whitman, and Duke Snider vying for the position – though Snider’s natural position is center field.  He will also spell Carl Furillo in center as needed.  Gene Hermanski is on hand to patrol mostly right field but Whitman could press him there.  Except for Furillo, the outfield is very unsettled.  Finally, the Dodgers added Roy Campanella to the early roster.  Campanella is labeled as a can’t miss prospect coming from the Negro Leagues but may head back to the minors for more seasoning once the rosters are reduced in May.  Veteran Bruce Edwards will handle most of the catching chores with help from youngster Gil Hodges.  Hodges has also been working out at first base and is insurance in case Ward cannot make the jump to the majors.

Overview – This is a team with a lot of question marks…probably too many to contend this year against the likes of St. Louis, Boston, or even New York.  They could surprise but the bets are that their future is a year or two away.  We are calling for the Dodgers to slide to 4th place.

BOSTON BRAVES – Manager – Billy Southworth

Pitching – This team has the big 2 at top of the starting staff in Johnny Sain and Warren Spahn.  They picked up Bill Voiselle mid-1947 to solidify the number 3 spot.  The rest of staff will be chosen from returning veterans Red Barrett and rookie Vern Bickford,   Clyde Shoun in the bullpen is solid and ancient Ernie White has given up his coaching position to return to the bullpen.  Overall pitching is good but not great.

Regular Lineup – Things have been shaken up since 1947.  Johnny Hopp is gone in CF, replaced by Jeff Russell. Jeff Heath has been added to play LF while Tommy Homes returns to RF.  In the infield, the big addition is Eddie Stanky at 2b.  Stanky will bat leadoff and could spark this team.  Rookie Alvin Dark is going to be given a shot at starting shortstop and represents this team’s biggest question mark.  Steady Bob Elliott is was last year’s MVP and is the league’s best third baseman and the combination of Earl Torgeson and Frank McCormick will again hold down first base.  This is a solid regular lineup that should be improved over last season with the additions of Heath and Stanky.

Overview – The Braves should be in the mix this year with a solid team.  Whether they can overtake the Dodgers or Cardinals depends on the rookie Dark and injuries to this somewhat older team.  Although a good team, they are too old to stay in the race.  We pick them at third place in a close race.

NEW YORK GIANTS – Manager, Mel Ott

Pitching – The Giant’s starting rotation is young (with one exception) and, as such, is the big question mark as to where this team will finish this season.  Larry Jansen has established himself as the ace of this staff but Andy Hansen and Clint Hartung are under 26 and Sheldon Jones is a 26 year old in his first full campaign.  The Giants signed veteran Thornton Lee (41 years old) as a free agent to bring some stability to this young staff.  The bull pen is fine with Ken Trinkle while Ray Poat can help either in the rotation or out of the pen.  Pitching will decide how this team fares.

Regular Lineup - This is the team that set a record for homeruns last year and everyone returns; so there is little question that this team can score runs.  The Big Cat, Johnny Mize, returns at first and is joined by power hitters Sid Gordan, Bobby Thomson, Willard Marshall, and catcher Walker Cooper.   One player to watch is rookie Whitey Lockman.  He is an excellent fielder and may push Thomson out of center and into right or left.  If this happens, look for Sid Gordan to make the move to third where Jack Lohrke would be the odd man out.  Bill Rigney will be the second baseman while Buddy Kerr would normally hold down short.  However, there has been some drama this spring as manager Ott has suspended Kerr indefinitely for not reporting to some spring training games.  Kerr claims he is hurt but the front office disagrees.  Odds are that Kerr will be back before the season gets too old or else the Giants may have trouble stopping runs.

Overview – If the pitching comes through, this team is a definite contender.  If not, then they could drop out of the first division.  Our call is that the Giants keep improving and challenge for first; falling just short.

St. LOUIS CARDINALS -  Manager Eddie Dyer

Pitching  -  St. Louis probably has more returning veterans than any other NL team and they show it in their deep pitching staff.  This is a fine starting rotation with Murray Dickson, Harry Brecheen, Howie Pollet, and George Munger.  Veteran Al Brazle returns as a spot starter and long relief and the capable Ted WIlks is a relief ace in the mold of Joe Page.  Most of this staff are veterans of the 1946 campaign so they bring experience that could prove valuable in a close pennant race.  This is probably the best pitching staff in the NL.

Regular Lineup – Again this is an experienced lineup with few changes since the 1946 campaign.  Only 3rd year man Nippy Jones, who takes over at first, is new to the starting lineup.  Red Schoendienst and Marty Marion makeup possibly the best keystone combination in the NL and Whitey Kurowski brings power to third base.  Erv Dusak and Terry Moore are aging veterans but will probably hold down center field most of the year and Enos Slaughter returns to the outfield.  The big question mark may be Stan Musial.   Musial slumped last year and only rallied at the end of the season to turn in another .300 year.  If he is starting to slip, then the Cardinals could be in trouble because they really have no power to speak of outside of Stan the Man.  The Cardinals are weak at catcher where they will audition Del Rice, Del Wilber, and Joe Garagiola and probably not have a real starter at season’s end.

Overview – This team is the favorite in Vegas going into the season.  If Musial is okay, they are likely to fulfill these expectations.  Their one question mark is age.  There are a lot of aging veterans on this team and if age suddenly catches up with them, then the pennant race is wide open.  This team has one more year before falling off.  Our call is that the Cardinals win a close one.

RECAP

1.  St. Louis

2.  New York

3.  Boston

4.  Brooklyn

5.  Cincinnati

6.  Pittsburgh

7.  Philadelphia

8.  Chicago

April, 1948

"Do you really think trading Colavito for Kuenn is a good idea?"

Quote    Reply   

farm hand

#3 [url]

04/17/12 07:07 PM

Gary,
         Now I see what you mean...okay, no snooping, I promise.  What a great addition to the site.

I wonder if Musial IS slipping.....very interesting to see future starting pitcher Hal Jeffcoat come up as an outfielder...I had forgotten that.  He was on the Reds in 1956 (8-2, I think) and had a pretty good card.

Nice writeup, big guy...

"You're either on the bus, or off the bus." - Ken Kesey, THE ELECTRIC KOOL-AID ACID TEST

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#4 [url]

04/17/12 08:02 PM

Yeah - that's the same Jeffcoat.  I have not dug out why he switched.  He should have a decent season as a hitter.  Note on Musial.  In 1947, he had an appendectomy late in spring training.  He started the season but had lost a ton of weight and was batting around .180 or so by June.  He turned it around in the second half of 1947 but there are a lot of question marks right now about him entering 1948.

Quote    Reply   

farm hand

#5 [url]

04/17/12 09:12 PM

His career curve is pretty much downhill. It looks like he just wasn't quite good enough to get over the hump with the bat.  What's his throwing arm in the outfield?  Probably decent.

"You're either on the bus, or off the bus." - Ken Kesey, THE ELECTRIC KOOL-AID ACID TEST

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#6 [url]

04/17/12 09:57 PM

His career curve is pretty much downhill. It looks like he just wasn't quite good enough to get over the hump with the bat.  What's his throwing arm in the outfield?  Probably decent.

-67mantle2-7

Yeah, Jeffcoat is a -3 in centerfield.  (2 fielder, which is also good).

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#7 [url]

04/18/12 07:38 AM

Another long one so bear with me (read it in chunks).  This is the AL recap -

Polo grounds gazette

Sunday, April 18, 1948

Opening Day is tomorrow so let’s get on with the American League Preview.

1948 American League Preview

St. Louis Browns  The Browns season ended last December when their best players – Vern Stephens (ss), Jack Kramer (SP), and Ellis Kinder (SP) – were sent to Boston for a pile of money and a few bit players.  Being the second team in a city too small for two teams has brought St. Louis to these straights.  Had they been able to move to Los Angeles as the original plan called for, they might not find themselves in such financial difficulties.  But, Pearl Harbor changed all of that and so new manager Zack Taylor has his hands full with a team of mostly un-seasoned rookies and 2nd year men.

Pitching – With Kramer and Kinder gone, the Browns will have to count on 2nd year starters Cliff Fannin and Fred Sandford to carry the bulk of the pitching.  Veteran Nels Potter may help and spot starter Sam Zoldak will round out the starting rotation.  Rookie Ned Garver has raised some eyebrows in spring training and hopes to break into this starting staff.  He is rumored to be able to carry his own weight with his bat, too.  Other rookies or 2nd year pitchers are Frank Biscan, Bryan Stephens, Ray Shore, and, from Boston, Al Widmar: none of whom are expected to provide more than relief when needed.

Infield - The only pickup made in the off-season was to purchase the contract of veteran Jerry Priddy from Washington.  Priddy will help stabilize an otherwise young infield with his glove at second and a decent bat.  Third base is stable with Bob Dillinger who provides a good lead-off man and at first base, Chuck Stevens returns from last year.  At shortstop, the young Eddie Pellagrini and Sam Dente will vie for the position.  Both were backup players with Boston last year; the loser will end up as the utility player.

Outfield – Last year’s starters – Paul Lehner (cf), Al Zarilla (lf), and Ray Coleman (rf) all return but, other than Zarilla, have little more than a year under their belts.  Pete Layden, another rookie, may try to step in if these others fail but this is still a very inexperienced outfield.  Whitey Platt, a backup in Chicago two years ago, is also in line to move in if needed.

Catching – Young Les Moss (only 23) returns for his 2nd year as the starting catcher.  Moss has potential and may grow in this his second full season.  The veteran Roy Partee came from Boston to help shore up the position and teach young Moss the trade.

Outlook – If Zack Taylor can keep this team of rookies out of the basement, he has accomplished a lot.  The projection here is last place unless a lot of these rookies have breakout years.

Chicago White Sox The only thing that may keep St. Louis out of the basement is the equally poor White Sox team.  Whereas the Browns have almost no one with more than 2 years experience, the White Sox have very few players under the age of 30 on the team.  These older players have already proved that they cannot win so there is no reason to expect more out of Chicago this season.  Manager Ted Lyons will have a very hard time staying ahead of St. Louis in the standings.

Pitching – Last season’s ace, Eddie Lopat, has been traded to the Yankees in exchange for catcher Aaron Robinson and pitcher Bill Wight. The starting rotation looks like it will be veterans Orval Grove, Joe Haynes, and Frank Papish.  None of these pitchers have done much in their careers.  While essentially a 26 year old rookie, Bill Wight will likely be given a chance to work his way into the rotation.  The remaining starters will have to come from 2nd year man, Glen Moulder, 22 year old rookie, Howie Judson, and Bob Gillespie.  The bullpen will be held down by the venerable Earl Caldwell (43 years old!) and Earl Harrist.  The overall pitching situation is not good unless the young Bill Wight and Howie Judson step up.

Infield – Nothing characterizes this team more than 41 year old Luke Appling.  Old Aches and Pains is still their best shortstop but can’t play there every day so he will split his time between short and third.  Appling is almost certainly the best player on this team – which says a lot.  First base will be held down by former Red Sox veteran, Tony Lupien.  Lupien is fresh from his legal fight to get back pay from his military service days.  He has been out of the majors for 2 years and is not likely to be at the level that he performed 4 years ago.  Veteran Don Kolloway will move between 2nd and 3rd – depending on where Appling is playing and veteran Cass Michaels will hold down short when Appling is at third; although Michaels best position is certainly not shortstop but second.  Veteran utility player Floyd Baker can bring a glove to third and help out elsewhere but his bat leaves a lot to be desired.  Overall, this is an old infield that will be slow to get to ground balls.  This combined with the average – at best – pitching staff makes for a deadly combination.

Outfield – The outfield will consist of veteran right fielder, Taffy Wright, 2nd year centerfielder Dave Philley, and former infielder, Bob Kennedy.  Wright can still hit, even at 36 years of age but Philley will have to cover more ground to make up for Wright’s slowing legs.  Young Dave Philley looks solid everywhere; in the field and at the plate.  He should keep improving and offers South Side fans cause for hope.  Bob Kennedy plays a good outfield and has excellent bat control; being one of the best bunters in the league.  Backup veteran Ralph Hodgins’ best years were during the war.  Rookies Ralph Weigal and Jim Delsing can try to break into this lineup but are long shots.  There is no power to speak of – neither here in the outfield or anywhere on this team.  If the Pale Hose don’t make a trade, they are going to be looking up at the rest of the league on the homerun list.

Catching – The Eddie Lopat trade brought Aaron Robinson over from the Yankees.  Robinson brings a decent bat and catching experience – at least against right-handed pitching.  He does not hit well against left-handers and will likely platoon with veteran receiver Mike Tresh.  Tresh is a serviceable veteran who knows what he is doing behind the plate but does not bring much offense with him.  It is hoped that Robinson is an upgrade at the plate.

Outlook – The veterans on this team may keep Chicago out of last place but there is not much hope for the future here.  South Side fans may be looking at some long summers ahead.  The projection is for seventh place in the American League this year.

Washington Senators     The Nats are a curious mix of young and old.  They are a stable team that is set at most positions and have a solid 4 man pitching rotation and a relief ace.  Only their lack of power and lack of any real star will keep them from moving up into the first division this season.  Manager Joe Kuhel will earn his money if he can bring this team into 4th place.

Pitching – The starting rotation of Early Wynn, Sid Hudson, Mickey Haefner, and Walt Masterson is solid and gives Washington a chance at improving.  All are veterans of the game.  Wynn is a young aggressive throw-back to the old school.  He is as likely to drill a batter when he feels like it as anyone in the game.  Hudson is a 33 year old veteran who was probably better before the war but is still a solid starter.  35 year old Haefner’s knuckleball doesn’t tire his old arm and 28 year old Masterson already has several years under his belt.  Full-time reliever, Tom Ferrick, gives Washington the closest thing to a Joe Page out of the bullpen.  The rest of the staff will consist of rookie Dave (Forrest) Thompson, veteran Ray Scarborough, and veteran Milo Candini.  Both Thompson and Scarborough will be given spot starts to see who ends up the as the 5th starter.

Infield – The infield is a solid unit for Washington.  Slick fielding Mickey Vernon holds down first base and can help with the bat.  Rookie Al Kozar will be given a shot at second base coming off of a fine minor league season in ’47.  The veteran Mark Christman, formerly with the Browns during their pennant run in 1944, brings stability and a fair bat to short, while 21 year old 2nd year man Eddie Yost will play third and bat lead-off.  Yost is very adept at getting on base.  Even though his speed is not what you would expect at leadoff, his ability to be on base a lot helps make things happen.  With Washington’s lack of power, they need as many base runners as they can get.  Veteran John Sullivan will act as utility man and help out with his glove at short when needed.

Outfield – Both Gil Coan in left and Junior Wootton in center are being given their first full year as starters.  The jury is still out as to whether they are ready for this step.  Veterans Tom McBride and Sherry Robertson will platoon in right and provide some guidance for the youngsters.  The outfield bench is not deep so look for Washington to make some moves as the season progresses.

Catching – The catching is in the capable hands of Jake Early and Al Evans, as it has been for so many years here in Washington.  Early and Evans will split time, mostly as a platoon combination.  They bring a knowledge of the pitching staff and passable bats to the picture.  Rookie Len Okrie is waiting in the wings but is to be kept in the minors for more seasoning.

Outlook – Manager Joe Kuhel has a solid foundation to work with but no stars to raise this team’s prospects.  If his management can swing a mid-season deal for some power, he may be able to improve his outlook.  Right now, they look like a 6th place team, however.

Philadelphia Athletics – This is a team that looks like it is coming together.  They moved up to 5th last season and could easily move up this season.  In fact, the next three teams – Philadelphia, Detroit, and Cleveland – all are similar.  They all have potential, possibly to even challenge the top teams, but also have big question marks.  The team that solves its question marks first, will contend this season. 

Pitching – The strength of this team is in its pitching staff.  The A’s have a young, aggressive staff that can compete with anyone in the league.  Their only problem may be figuring out who starts since they probably have 6 quality starters on this team.  Phil Marchildon, the former WWII POW, is coming off of a 19 win season and leads this staff.  Phil is a 34 year old veteran and provides experience to the rest of this mostly young staff.  The veteran Canadian, Dick Fowler is only 27 and young Joe Coleman will only be making his 2nd year as a starter.  Last year’s Sporting News rookie pitcher of the year, Bill McCahan can start and Carl Scheib, who was a swing man last year, looks ready to be a full-time starter.  This brings us to the much heralded rookie, Lou Brissie.  The 24 year old Brissie was hurt in the war but was signed to a contract by Connie Mack, even while he was still on crutches.  He has a specially modified brace for his leg while he pitches but is reported to have a lively fastball.  Brissie is ready to start this season and will be given the chance to make this starting staff even stronger.  Pitching will not be a problem for the White Elephants this year.

Infield – The infield is solid, if not spectacular.  2nd year man Ferris Fain is already proving to be able to get on base, second base man Pete Suder may be the weakest link in this unit but is a veteran infielder who can play the other positions if called upon.  Shortstop Eddie Joost has also become adept at getting on base, has a decent glove, and a little pop in his bat, while at third the veteran Hank Majeski is solid at bat and in the field.  The bench is thin with a big question mark in Rudy York.  While York hit 21 homers last season, he has not been able to stick with anyone long and it is felt that this could be his last chance with any team.

Outfield – The outfield is set with veteran center fielder Sam Chapman, young right fielder Elmer Valo, and former Detroit star Barney McCosky in left.  Chapman is a good fielder and can help with the bat.  Valo is young and improving; both in the field and at the plate.  The only question mark may be McCosky’s back.  His back injury limited him to just 92 games in 1947 but he claims he is healthy now.  He brings a potent bat to the position if he is healthy.  Again the bench is thin with rookie Don White expected to fill in if there are injuries.

Catching – Former Yankee Buddy Rosar brings this team valuable pennant-chase experience and a decent enough bat.  Veteran backups Herman Franks and Mike Guerra will spell Rosar as needed but they are not at his level.

Outlook – 84 year old Connie Mack finally may have a team that can compete after 17 years of frustration.  This team will go as far as its young pitchers can carry it and if they can avoid injuries.  There biggest weaknesses are lack of power and a pretty weak bench.  They will have to scrap for runs and avoid injuries but could surprise some people.  Although picked here for 5th place, they could easily finish 4th or 3rd – or who knows?

Cleveland Indians – The Indians are a team with potential but having so many question marks it is hard to project where they will finish.  The rumor going around the league is that owner Bill Veeck tried to trade manager and shortstop Lou Boudreau to the Browns for Vern Stephens but when the Browns wanted cash, Veeck balked and so Stephens ended up in Boston.  Veeck reportedly loves Boudreau the player but not Boudreau the manager.  Boudreau will be tasked this year with the big project – finding out if Larry Doby can play the outfield.  No one doubts his talent but having him targeted for centerfield is a huge leap of faith.  To start with, Boudreau will play Doby in right field until he is sure that Doby is ready for the move to center.  To cover their bets, the Indians picked up the center fielding wizard, Thurman Tucker, over the winter as well as veteran flychaser, Wally Judnich.

Pitching – Pitching is actually the bigger question mark for Cleveland.  They only have one established starter – Bob Feller.  As good as Feller is, he can’t pitch every day.  Last season’s swing man, Bob Lemon, will be given the chance to be the second starter.  He is big and has a good fastball, though he only started 15 games in 1947.  After that, it is hard to find the rest of the rotation.  Al Gettel returns having started 21 games last year and the erratic Don Black managed 28 starts in ’47.  Steve Gromek is probably slated for a swing man.  The Indians have 2 young rookies to try out – knuckleballer Gene Bearden and Bill Kennedy.  Both are lefties so one should make this starting squad.  They did bolster their bullpen by picking up full-time reliever Russ Christopher who joins Ed Klieman to give Cleveland one of the better bullpens in the league.  Cleveland will have to solve this pitching puzzle to make any progress this year.

Infield – Certainly the strength of this team, Cleveland has the best fielding infield in the league with Joe Gordon and Lou Boudreau up the middle and can challenge Boston as the best hitting infield.  Veteran third sacker Ken Keltner returns. Only first base is a question mark but young Eddie Robinson looks poised to take over full-time responsibility for first base.  Johnny Barardino was picked up over the winter to give Cleveland a veteran infielder who can fill in at all four positions.

Outfield – All hinges on the progress of Larry Doby.  The sooner he is ready to move to centerfield, the sooner the Cleveland outfield can settle down to take care of business.  Leftfield is in the capable hands (or bat) of 2nd year man, Dale Mitchell, who also provides Cleveland a stable lead-off man.  Thurman Tucker and Wally Judnich will alternate with Doby to cover center and right fields.  Allie Clark was added this winter in a trade with the Yankees and gives the Tribe some needed right-handed hitting in the outfield but he is not known as a glove man.  Look for Cleveland to pick up another right-handed bat for the outfield sometime this season as the bench consists of lefties Hal Peck and Hank Edwards and the better seen at the plate than in the field Pat Seerey; although at least Seerey is right handed.

Catching – Jim Hegan holds down the catching position and he is beginning to look like a regular fixture here.  Last year was his first year as the starter and he did a remarkable job – possibly being the best receiver in the league.  Cleveland is thin at back up, counting on rookie Joe Tipton to spell Hegan.

Outlook – With all of the question marks on this team, it is hard to imagine that all of them can come together.  4th place seems like the best prediction but they could easily slide beneath Philadelphia and Washington or rise to third place.  It all depends.

Detroit Tigers – The Tigers are now 3 years away from their 1945 championship and have 2 second place finishes since.  The question that manager Steve O’Neill needs to answer is – Are the Tigers a team heading back to first or are they sliding farther away?  The Tigers did not make any deals over the winter worth noting so they are relying on their existing team from last season along with a few key rookies to try to improve their position.

Pitching – The Tigers are about as solid as any team when it comes to their starting rotation.  Veterans Hal Newhouser, Dizzy Trout, Virgil Trucks, and Fred Hutchinson are set and give Detroit the deepest starting 4 in the league.  The 20 year old rookie from last year, Art Houtteman, gives them a young but proven 5th starter.  Add the veterans Al Benton, Stubby Overmire, and Hal White and Detroit can afford the luxury of looking at the 23 year old Ted Gray as a future starter.  Pitching should be no problem for Detroit.

Infield – Here is where the experiments begin. The search for Hank Greenberg’s replacement continues and the Tigers will give rookie Sam Vico a chance at winning the job.  If Vico falters, 31 year old rookie Paul Campbell will be given a chance. Likewise, young Johnny Lipon will be handed the shortstop role.  Lipon, while not a rookie, is playing his first full season since 1943; having lost time due to the war.  The former shortstop, Eddie Lake, is still on the team but is slated for the utility role.  At third base, young George Kell is starting to look like a future star.  Both his excellent glove and bat may rank him as the premier hot corner man in the league.  Second base is held down by the aging Eddie Mayo.  Rookie Neil Berry is being groomed to replace Mayo and will spend some time in on-the-job training.

Outfield – Centerfield is set with 3rd year man Hoot Evers.  Evers provides a decent glove and good bat.  Right field provides Detroit’s only power hitter, Pat Mullin.  Mullin’s glove and arm are only so-so but he makes up for that with his bat.  About the only position up for grabs in Detroit is left field.  Dick Wakefield, the former Red Sox hitter, is still trying to find his batting stroke from the early forties while young second year man, Vic Wertz, is challenging Wakefield.  Wertz has the better arm so Wakefield will have to hit to keep Wertz on the bench.  Veteran backup man, Jimmy Outlaw can spell any of the starters as well as fill in at third if needed.

Catching – Catching is in the capable hands of Bob Swift.  Swift, while not the premier receiver in the league, is still better than average and is durable.  He has the veteran Hal Wagner, the former Red Sox receiver, to back him up and provide some left-handed hitting at the position.

Outlook – It looks like Detroit slides to third place this year.  Their rookie additions are not likely to keep up with the Yankees and Red Sox.  If they could find another power hitter or one of the rookies comes through, their pitching can carry them far but it says here that they will fall just short.

New York Yankees – The defending champions return with their team intact from last year plus they added Eddie Lopat to their starting rotation in a trade with the White Sox.  The only thing keeping them from repeating may be the improved Red Sox.  Manager Bucky Harris can just turn in the lineup card every day and watch what happens.

Pitching – While New York pitching isn’t top-of-the-line, they are close.  Allie Reynolds has risen to be the ace of this staff and should keep improving.  Eddie Lopat will definitely benefit from improved offensive support and the young Vic Raschi is poised to take the next step forward in his development.  Raschi really only turned in a half of a season last year and now wants to prove that he can perform for a full year.  Spec Shea, who was an impressive 14-5 last year as a rookie, rounds out the starting staff.  The Yankees can turn to Red Embree, who started for Cleveland last season, as a swing man.  The real advantage that New York has is in the person of Joe Page.  Many thought Page was the MVP last year as he set a new level of achievement for relief pitchers to strive for.  Most great Yankee teams of the past had good pitching – and this team is no exception.

Infield – If there are any cracks in the Yankees armor, it could be the infield.  First baseman George McQuinn is 38 years old and showing his age.  There is not much in the wings to replace him, either.  Snuffy Stirnweiss has yet to prove that he is as good as during the war years – although he is certainly a solid second baseman.  The rock of this infield is Phil Rizzuto.  His sure hands and leadership of this team is unquestioned.  With the possible exception of Cleveland, New York has the best overall shortstop in the AL.  Third base is kind of a question mark for New York and will probably end up a platoon arrangement between 4th year veteran Bill Johnson and young Bobby Brown.  Brown has had a couple of cups of coffee with the parent team but this year he will be given a chance to play all year.  Beside third, Brown will be the utility infielder when needed.

Outfield – Any team with Joe DiMaggio in centerfield is in good shape.  Add Tommy Henrich in right and you have a contender.  The Yankee Clipper has shown no signs of slowing down yet and should turn in another stellar performance.  Old Reliable, Henrich, has been with the team since 1939.  The only question mark in the outfield is left field where the health of Charlie Keller is the problem.  King Kong only played in 45 games last year and it is uncertain how much longer he can play.  He is likely to be platooned this year with Johnny Lindell to give him ample rest.  Lindell is a quality player in his own right as he enters his 6th season with New York.  A couple of rookies are on the team, Cliff Mapes and Bud Stewart, but are not likely to see much action.  Young Larry Berra can also fill in at right field and is likely to see action there to keep his bat in the lineup.

Catching – 2nd year man Larry (Yogi) Berra only needs to learn to be a better catcher before he assumes the position full time.  The Dodgers ran at will against him in the World Series last year so there is still a question mark as to whether he is a catcher or an outfielder.  Until he is able to catch every day, young Gus Niarhos will split time with Yogi – although Yogi’s bat will be wanted most of the time.  The Yankees have the potential to have the best catching in the league – but probably not this season.

Outlook – The Bronx Bombers will be in the thick of the pennant race all year – unless disaster overtakes them in the form of a Joe DiMaggio injury or a major breakdown by one of their star pitchers.  Whether they can stop Boston is the question that this season will answer.

Boston Red Sox – It looks like Tom Yawkey bought the pennant when he purchased Vern Stephens and Jack Kramer from St. Louis and then got Ellis Kinder thrown in for a handful of backup players.  Getting Stephens adds more offensive to an already good offense and allows Johnny Pesky to take over at third – where Boston has had trouble filling in a name.  Add new manager Joe McCarthy to the mix and this sure looks like a pennant winner.

Pitching – If anything can hold Boston back this year, it will be their pitching.  They fell off last year from their 1946 champions because of their pitching collapse.  Tex Hughson is now gone – trying to work his way back from an injury in the minors.  Dave Ferriss may no longer be effective and Mickey Harris is returning from arm troubles last year.  McCarthy will then have to chose from newcomers Kramer and Kinder, veteran curve-baller, Joe Dobson, veteran Denny Galehouse, and rookie lefty Mel Parnell.  McCarthy loves 7 man pitching staffs so this should be right up his alley.  Lefty Earl Johnson is a swing man and raw rookie Mickey McDermott may even get a look – though he walks more players than he strikes out right now.

Infield – With all due respect to the Indians, this infield may be the best hitting infield in baseball.  With Bobby Doerr, Vern Stephens, and Johnny Pesky, they have a solid hitting group and Doerr and Stephens are pretty fair with the glove.  At first base, McCarthy will experiment with the former Washington star, Stan Spence.  Though primarily an outfielder for the Nats, McCarthy wants him to play first and hit behind Ted Williams in the lineup.  Spence may platoon somewhat with last year’s starter, Jake Jones.  Jones is a dead-pull hitter who can be dangerous in Fenway but not so much on the road.  The bench will be manned by rookie Billy Goodman who can play all infield positions.

Outfield – Similar to New York, Boston is set at two positions in the outfield, left field and center.  With Ted Williams in left and Dom DiMaggio patrolling center, Boston can deliver runs and DiMaggio adds a stellar glove.  Only right field remains a question mark.  Sam Mele and the veteran Wally Moses are fighting for the position and it may end up being a platoon arrangement.  Of course, Spence can also help out in the outfield when called upon.

Catching – Birdie Tebbetts holds down the starting catch’s job and, like Cleveland’s Jim Hegan, is a superb receiver – though his bat is only so-so.  Veteran backup Matt Batts is still here to spell Tebbetts as needed and provide a sure fill-in.

Outlook – The Red Sox should be the class of the league this year.  Adding Stephens, Kramer, and Kinder brings this team back to where it was two years ago when they won 106 games.  Marse Joe should feel right at home managing this pennant contender.

RECAP

1.  Boston

2.  New York

3.  Detroit

4.  Cleveland

5.  Philadelphia

6.  Washington

7.  Chicago

8.  St. Louis

April, 1948

Quote    Reply   

farm hand

#8 [url]

04/18/12 09:48 AM

Nice job, Gary.  Well there sure are a ton of unfamiliar names in the look ahead...that's a good thing as I always look forward to getting to know the players by what they do as opposed to scanning the MacMillian Encyclopedia.

I didn't realise Pat Seery was still hanging around Cleveland in 1948.

Johnny Barardino!  There he is, the future TV soap-opera star with his .190 batting average and all those walks to get it up to a .328 OBP, and who is one of the most unlikely good pinch hitters in my Strat history.  The 1948 Indians were ripe with Shuba guys...Johnny, Judnich, Clark, Tucker, Klieman, Tipton.  I love that bench, a very underrated bunch, in my estimation, at least amongst the Old Timers set teams.

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#9 [url]

04/18/12 10:02 AM

Good 'ol Pat Seerey.  He is a real all or nothing guy - HR or K (a bunch of walks, too).  Of course he is famous for hitting 4 homeruns in a game but other than that he really is mostly a bum.  Truly better seen at bat than in the field but, yes, he was with Cleveland.

Quote    Reply   

farm hand

#10 [url]

04/18/12 12:56 PM

Bill James called him the prototypical player that represented the philosophy of baseball around this time.  Get a blunk hit or two or a walk, and then wait for someone to hit a three run homer.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

gwloar

hall of famer

#11 [url]

04/18/12 01:01 PM

Final dig at Pat Seerey - the week after he hit 4 homeruns in a game, he was the first player to strike out 7 times in a double header!

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#12 [url]

04/19/12 07:36 AM

Polo grounds gazette

Vegas published the odds just prior to the start of the season.  The gamblers prefer St. Louis in the National League and New York in the American League

American League

Vegas Odds

National League

Vegas Odds

New York

5-6

St. Louis

8-5

Boston

5-6

Boston

2-1

Detroit

8-1

Brooklyn

3-1

Cleveland

20-1

New York

5-1

Philadelphia

25-1

Pittsburgh

15-1

Washington

40-1

Cincinnati

20-1

Chicago

100-1

Chicago

20-1

St. Louis

100-1

Philadelphia

40-1

Final Standings from 1947

National  League

Won

Loss

GB

Brooklyn

-

St. Louis

Boston

New York

Cincinnati

Chicago

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

American  League

Won

Loss

GB

New York

-

Detroit

Boston

Cleveland

Philadelphia

Chicago

Washington

St. Louis

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#13 [url]

04/19/12 07:42 AM

Polo grounds gazette

American League

AL Games of Monday, April 19th

WASHINGTON, D.C. Griffith Stadium.  9TH INNING COMEBACK STUNS YANKEES AS NATS WIN OPENER 6-5

Opening day in Washington D.C. brought with it cold and a steady drizzle.  But, baseball had started and President Truman was there to throw out the first pitch as the hometown Senators faced the defending world champion New York Yankees. When New York jumped on starting pitcher Early Wynn for 3 runs in the 1st and 2 runs in the 2nd, many fans headed for the safety of the grandstands or back to their warm homes. 

However, those few who stayed to the end were rewarded for their loyalty.  New York starter Allie Reynolds held a 5-1 lead going into the 9th and seemingly on track for his first win.  But, he soon got into trouble as a combination of walks and hits had narrowed the score to 5-3 and there were runners on 1st and 3rd.  New York manager Bucky Harris did what he always did last season; he called for his bullpen ace, Joe Page.  But, this is 1948, not 1947.  Page walked the first man he faced, Eddie Yost, to load the bases.  He then walked rookie second baseman, Al Kozar to make the score 5-4.  Young Gil Coan then singled to tie the game bringing veteran first sacker, Mickey Vernon, to the plate.  Mickey liked what he saw because he lashed the first pitch into right field for a single and the game was over.  Washington had miraculously come from behind to win 6-5.  Reliever Ray Scarborough got the win in relief while Joe Page took the loss.

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  R  H  E  LOB

48 NYY   3  2  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  5  8  2  5

48 WAS   0  1  0  0  0  0  0  0  5  6  8  1  11

NYY:  Reynolds, Page (9) (L, 0-1) and Berra

WAS:  Wynn, Thompson (3), Scarborough (8) (W, 1-0) and Evans

Homeruns    NYY:  None

WAS:  None

Notes – T. Henrich (NYY) had 3 hits including a triple.

BOSTON – Fenway Field.  A’S STUN RED SOX WITH PATRIOT DAY DOUBLE HEADER SWEEP

It was Patriot’s Day in Beantown and that means an opening day double-header.  How appropriate that the starting pitchers for visiting Philadelphia were war heroes, Rookie Lou Brissie and veteran Phil Marchildan.  Brissie was wounded in Italy but Connie Mack made good on his promise to bring him to the majors.  Fitted with a special brace, rookie Brissie started the opener today.  Marchildan spent time in a German POW camp but has returned to be the ace of this young staff.  And appropriately enough, both Brissie and Marchildan were winners.

Game 1 saw Boston curve-baller, Joe Dobson, holding a 2-1 lead heading into the 9th but Hank Majerski, Buddy Rosar, and Barney McCosky all doubled to send home 2 runs and made a winner out of Brissie by a score of 3-2.  Game 2 saw Philadelphia man-handle veteran Denny Galehouse for 6 runs while Marchildan held on for the win with help from his relievers and a 6-4 victory.  A’s shortstop, Eddie Joost, launched 2 homeruns to lead the White Elephants.  The double-header sweep put the A’s in first place – at least for a while.

Game 1    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  R  H  E  LOB

48 PHA    0  1  0  0  0  0  0  0  2  3  7  1  8

48 BOS    0  2  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  2  7  1  8

PHA:  Brissie (W, 1-0), Fowler (9) (SV (1)) and Rosar

BOS:  Dobson (L, 0-1), Parnell (9) and Tebbetts

Homeruns    PHA:   None

BOS:   None

Game 2    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  R  H    E  LOB

48 PHA    0  0  1  5  0  0  0  0  0  6  9    1  5

48 BOS    1  0  0  0  0  0  2  0  1  4  11   2  9

PHA:  Marchildan (W, 1-0), Scheib (7) (SV(1)) and Franks

BOS:  Galehouse (L, 0-1), McDermott (5), Johnson (6), Kinder (8) and Tebbetts

Homeruns    PHA:   Joost -2 (2)

BOS:   None

Notes – Joost (PHA) was 3 for 5 with 2 homers and 4 rbi’s on the day.

American League Standings

Team               W  L  Pct      GB    Runs   RA   L10   Strk

Philadelphia       2  0  1.000    -     9      6    2-0   2W

Washington         1  0  1.000    -     6      5    1-0   1W

Detroit            0  0  1.000    1.0   0      0    0-0   -

Cleveland          0  0  1.000    1.0   0      0    0-0   -

St. Louis          0  0  0.000    1.0   0      0    0-0   -

Chicago            0  0  0.000    1.0   0      0    0-0   -

New York           0  1  0.000    1.5   5      6    0-1   2L

Boston             0  2  0.000    2.0   6      9    0-2   2L

Tomorrow’s Games of April 20th

Visitor     Starter     W-L, ERA   Home        Starter  W-L, ERA

New York    Lopat       0-0, 0.00  Washington  Hudson   0-0, 0.00

St. Louis   Sanford     0-0, 0.00  Cleveland   Feller   0-0, 0.00       

Detroit     Newhouser   0-0, 0.00  Chicago     Haynes   0-0, 0.00       

Only Games Scheduled

Quote    Reply   

farm hand

#14 [url]

04/19/12 09:00 AM

After my 1950 tournament an unexpected win by Washington didn't even make me blink!  The other games in Boston would be giving me gray hairs, even on the first day of the season.  I don't know what it is about these guys, but I've had more trouble winning with the 1946 team than probably any team I've ever played...and I'm not kidding, either.

I don't remember a 1946 team finishing higher than next to last place in any of my oldtimer leagues way back when; of course that's many years ago, and the paperwork is long LONG gone, but the memory remains indelible.

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#15 [url]

04/19/12 12:58 PM

POLO GROUNDS GAZETTE

National League

Games of Monday, April 19th, 1948

CINCINNATI.  Crosley Field.  KINER HOMER IN 11TH GIVES PIRATES OPENING DAY WIN OVER REDS, 6-4.

The traditional lid lifter for the National League took place in Cincinnati today in front of a packed house.  The home crowd was hoping for a win as their Reds ran out to an early 4-0 lead off of Pirates starter Hal Gregg.  But, Reds ace, Ewell Blackwell, was victimized by some poor defense and soon the Bucs had tied the score at 4 each.  The Pirates bull pen of Lombardi and Higbe were dazzling, especially Higbe who pitched out of a bases loaded, no out jam in the bottom of the 9th.  Finally, Ralph Kiner and his Pirates took the lead on his 2-run blast in the 11th and held on for the opening day win.

Team  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  R   H  E  LOB

48 PIT 0 0 0 0 2 0 2 0 0  0  2  6  13  2   10

48 CIN 1 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 0  0  0  4   9  1   12

PIT:  Gregg, Lombardi (5), Higbe (8) (W, 1-0), Riddle (11) (SV (1)) and Kluttz

CIN:  Blackwell, Gumbert (8), Raffensberger (10) (L, 0-1) and Lamanno

Homeruns –  Pit: Rojek (1), Kiner (1)

Cin: None

Notes – Rojek (Pit) had 5 hits including a homer, a double, 2 runs scored, and 2 rbi’s.  Kiner (Pit) had 2 hits with a homer and 3 rbi’s.  Lombardi (Pit) tossed 3 hitless innings in relief.

Pittsburgh         1  0  1.000    -     6      4    1-0   1W

Boston             0  0  0.000    0.5   0      0    0-0  

Chicago            0  0  0.000    0.5   0      0    0-0  

New York           0  0  0.000    0.5   0      0    0-0  

Brooklyn           0  0  0.000    0.5   0      0    0-0  

Philadelphia       0  0  0.000    0.5   0      0    0-0  

St. Louis          0  0  0.000    0.5   0      0    0-0  

Cincinnati         0  1  0.000    1.0   4      6    1-0   1L

Tomorrow’s Games for April 20th

Visitor      Starter   W-L,  ERA    Home           Starter   W-L, ERA

Brooklyn     Barney    0-0,  0.00   New York       Jansen    0-0,  0.00

Boston       Sain      0-0,  0.00   Philadelphia   Leonard   0-0,  0.00

Chicago      Meyer     0-0,  0.00   Pittsburgh     Sewell    0-0,  0.00

Cincinnati   Fox       0-0,  0.00   St. Louis      Dickson   0-0,  0.00

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#16 [url]

04/20/12 07:48 AM

POLO GROUNDS GAZETTE

American League

Games of Tuesday, April 20st 1948

WASHINGTON D.C. – Griffith Stadium. YANKEE BULLPEN FAILS AGAIN AS SENATORS TAKE SECOND GAME OF SEASON FROM YANKS.

Eddie Lopat came to New York this year from Chicago hoping that better support would lead to more wins.  But, The “Junkman” left the game in the 7th, trailing 3-1 and his bullpen made sure that his team would not catch up as Karl Drews allowed 5 runs in the 8th to give Washington a commanding 8-1 lead.  Washington pitcher Sid Hudson pitched a good game and was the winner with late help from bullpen specialist Tom Ferrick.  Washington is now 2-0 against the defending world champions.

R  H  E  LOB

NYY   2  4  1   4  LP – Lopat (0-1)

WAS   8 12  2   7  WP-  Hudson (1-0)  SV – Ferrick (1)

NYY:  Lopat, Drews (8), Gumbert (8) and Berra

WAS: Hudson, Ferrick (8) and Evans

Homeruns:   NYY:  DiMaggio (1)

WAS:  None

Note – Gil Coan (WAS) 3 for 5, 1 T, 1 RBI, 1 Run

CLEVELAND – Municipal Stadium.  FELLER DOMINATES BROWNS IN EASY OPENING DAY WIN.

Bob Feller started out in mid-season form as he struck out 7 and walked none in a complete game victory over St. Louis, 5-1.  Cleveland’s offense was led by third baseman Ken Keltner’s 2 homeruns, rookie Larry Doby’s 2 hits, and a rare homerun from center fielder Thurman Tucker. 

R  H  E LOB

SLA   1  8  1  4        LP –Sanford (0-1)

CLE   5  9  0  4        WP- Feller (1-0)

SLA:  Sanford, Garver (8) and Moss

CLE:  Feller and Hegan

Homeruns:   SLA:   None

CLE:   Keltner–2 (2), Tucker (1)

Note – Doby (CLE) 2 for 4, 1T, 1 RBI, 1 Run; Feller (CLE) – CG, no BB

CHICAGO –Comiskey Park.  NEWHOUSER AND COMPANY SPOIL CHISOX HOME OPENER.

Detroit ace, Hal Newhouser, had no trouble getting his first win at Chicago, pitching a complete game with support from George Kell’s bases loaded double and Pat Mullins first home run of the year.  Detroit rolled to an easy 10-3 win, beating up Chicago pitchers Joe Haynes and Bill Wight.

R    H  E  LOB

DET   10  14  0    8    WP – Newhouser (1-0)

CHA   3   6  1    5    LP - Haynes (0-1)

DET:  Newhouser and Swift

CHA:  Haynes, Moulder (4), Wight (6), Papish (9) and Tresh

Homeruns:   DET:   Mullins (1)

CHA:   None

Note – Appling (CHA) 3 for 3, 1 T, 1RBI, 1 Run;  Hoot Evers (DET) 3 for 4, 2 Runs; Sam Vico (DET) 3 for 5, 1 D, 1 T, 1 RBI, 1 Run

American League Standings

Philadelphia       2  0  1.000    -     9      6    2-0   2W

Washington         2  0  1.000    -     14     7    2-0   2W

Detroit            1  0  1.000    0.5   10     3    1-0   1W

Cleveland          1  0  1.000    0.5   5      1    1-0   1W

St. Louis          0  1  0.000    1.5   1      5    0-1   1L

Chicago            0  1  0.000    1.5   3      10   0-1   1L

New York           0  2  0.000    2.0   7      14   0-2   2L

Boston             0  2  0.000    2.0   6      9    0-2   2L

Tomorrow’s Games of April 21st

Visitor     Starter   W-L, ERA    Home         Starter   W-L, ERA

NewYork     Raschi    0-0, 0.00   Washington   Haefner   0-0, 0.00

St. Louis   Fannin    0-0, 0.00   Cleveland    Lemon     0-0, 0.00

Detroit     Trout     0-0, 0.00   Chicago      Grove     0-0, 0.00

Only Games Scheduled

Quote    Reply   

farm hand

#17 [url]

04/20/12 08:38 AM

Ugh...some pen for the Yankees that year, huh?  I have a funny feeling it's going to be score a bunch of runs and then hang on for dear life if the first two games of the season are indicative of the quality of the revievers on the staff.

Have to look up Karl Drews, never heard that name before....

Quote    Reply   

farm hand

#18 [url]

04/20/12 08:39 AM

Yikes!  That must be some card he has.

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#19 [url]

04/20/12 01:11 PM

Karl Drews - his hits aren;t horrible but he has walks everywhere!!  I only put him in the game because they were already losing and I wanted to get a feel for this guy.  Ooops, that did not work.  He just poured gasoline on the fire.  Luckily for you Yankee fans out there, we know (but Bucky Harris does not) that Drews will be sent to Washington late in the year.  Many times if I have a lousy reliever, I will use him like I did Drews.  Throw him into a close game but where I am losing to see how he does.  I would not use him when ahead unless he had shown me something (to heck with the cards.  I go with the hot hand).

Quote    Reply   

gwloar

hall of famer

#20 [url]

04/20/12 01:11 PM

POLO GROUNDS GAZETTE

National League

Games of Tuesday, April 20th, 1948

NEW YORK.  Polo Grounds.  JANSEN STIFLES DODGERS IN OPENER, 5-1.  COOPER HOMERUN LEADS GIANTS

Rookie Rex Barney was pitching well for the Dodgers, holding on to a 1-0 lead, but a triple by Bobby Thomson, single by Johnny Mize, and homer by Walker Cooper gave Larry Jansen all the runs he needed to coast over Brooklyn on opening day here in New York.  Hot young Dodger prospect Preston Ward was hurt in the opening inning and left the game; his place in the lineup taken by rookie Roy Campanella.  Ward will miss a couple of day’s action. Arky Vaughan’s homerun accounted for the only Brooklyn tally.

BRK   1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0   1  9 3  12      LP– Barney (0-1)

NYG   0 0 3 0 0 0 0 2 X   5  8 0  10      WP– Jansen (1-0)

BRK:  Barney,  Casey (8) and Hodges, Campanella (1)

NYG:  Jansen and Cooper

Homeruns –  BRK: Vaughn (1)

NYG:  Cooper (1)

Notes – Cooper (NY) – 2H, 1D, 1HR, 2 RBI

PHILADELPHIA.  Shibe Park.  ROWELL”S PINCH HIT DOUBLE LIFTS PHILLIES OVER SAIN AND BRAVES, 2-1.

Johnny Sain and Dutch Leonard squared off in a great pitcher’s duel today.  Both teams only scored their 1st run on errors as the game went into the bottom of the 7th tied at 1 each.  But Del Ennis led off with a double and Bama Rowell’s pinch hit double brought him home with the winning run.  Ken Heintzelman came on to try to save the game but with 2 outs in the 9th, he had to be bailed out by Monk Dubiel who got the final out with the bases loaded for a well-deserved save.

BOS:  0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0    1  6  1  10    LP– Sain (0-1)

PHL:  0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 X    2  5  3   7    WP- Leonard (1-0) SV – Dubiel (1)

BOS:  Sain and Masi

PHL:  Leonard, Heintzelman (8), Dubiel (9) and Seminick

Homeruns – Bos: None

Phi: None

PITTSBURGH.  Forbes Field.  2 MORE KINER HOMERUNS NOT ENOUGH AS PIRATES FALL TO CUBS, 10-8.

Ralph Kiner launched two more homeruns and collected 6 RBI’s but the Pirates relief pitching put them into too deep of a hole to pull out a victory.  The Cubs’ young Russ Meyer faded late and had to be helped by Emil Kush but between them they managed to hold on to the lead.  Phil Cavaretta and Hal Jeffcoat both had 3 runs to help pace the Chicago offense.

CHN:  0 0 0 3 1 1 1 0 4       10 10 1  8  WP – Meyer (1-0)  SV – Kush (1)

PIT:  3 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 4       8  9 3  7  LP – Sewell (0-1)

CHN:  Meyer, Kush (9) and McCullough

PIT:  Sewell, Queen (8), Singleton (9) and Kluttz

Homeruns - Pit:  Kiner -2 (3)

Chn:  Jeffcoat (1)

Note – Kiner (Pit) – 6 RBI’s

ST. LOUIS.  Sportsman’s Park.  3 RED’S HOMERUNS PACE CINCINNATI TO 6-5 WIN OVER DICKSON AND CARDINALS.

Back-to-back 1st inning homeruns by Hank Sauer and Ted Kluszewski led to 3 runs and Grady Hatten added another homerun in the 5th inning as the Redlegs scored 6 runs off of Cardinal starter Murray Dickson.  The Cardinals mounted a charge against Red’s pitchers Howie Fox and Harry Gumbert, but Kent Peterson came on to shut the door and preserve the 6-5 win.

CIN:  3 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0       6  11  1  6 WP – Fox (1-0) SV – Peterson (1)

STL:  0 0 1 0 0 0 0 3 1       5  11  3 12 LP - Dickson (0-1)

CIN:  Fox, Gumbert (8), Peterson (9) and Lamanno

STL:  Dickson, Burkhart (6), Brazle (9) and Wilber

Homeruns:   St.L: None

Cin:  Sauer(1), Kluszewski(1), Hatten(1)

Notes – Musial (StL) 3 Hits, 2 Runs

National League Standings

Philadelphia       1  0  1.000    -     2      1    1-0   1W

Chicago            1  0  1.000    -     10     8    1-0   1W

New York           1  0  1.000    -     5      1    1-0   1W

Pittsburgh         1  1  0.500    0.5   14     14   1-1   1L

Cincinnati         1  1  0.500    0.5   10     11   1-1   1W

Brooklyn           0  1  0.000    1.0   1      5    0-1   1L

Boston             0  1  0.000    1.0   1      2    0-1   1L

St. Louis          0  1  0.000    1.0   5      6    0-1   1L

Tomorrow’s Games for April 21st